AuthorTopic: Character help+Tiles  (Read 26176 times)

Offline linx

• View Profile

Re: Character help

Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 10:09:04 pm

:'( Ive never been good without outlines  :-\

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 11:45:31 pm
Dude, your "blobbed" version reads ten times better than anything else in the thread.  Add some slight highlights and shadows and you're done.

I have to agree completely. The highlights and shading seems to be too.... harsh? Legs and feet look too bulky to me. They look like they're clay that you've yet to carve into. Define a nice form with all that clay.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: January 09, 2010, 12:00:50 am
@JonathanOfDrain- I think this version will be what everyone in this thread is looking for. The sprite being more readable

Unfinished of course :)
Update:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:14:19 am by linx »

Offline Avocado

• Howdy
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: January 09, 2010, 01:03:40 am
the strap for the sword looks like a scarf the way that it comes out of the cape neck-piece. I wouldn't wear that kind of cape because i would be afraid of getting choked because of it.
(I just reread the thread and it's not supposed to be a cape? I have no clue what it is from just looking at it.)
it's sort of hard to read everything you have going on because you have all these colors but they don't work together very well and there is almost an entire lack of contrast that makes them blend together even more. The only thing that really pops out to me right now is the head because theres the sharp contrast of his dark hair and his light face, after that everything sort of blurs together. To be honest I liked the style of the first sprite you did the most because it had a very castlevania vibe, but that might be why you changed it.
The reason that Jad's edit was effective was because he unified the palette and at the same time made all of the focal points of the character easy to read and distinct.
I think your fourth character in post #13 showed a good unified palette and if it just had more contrast would be ideal, but again that might just be the castlevania bias.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: January 09, 2010, 02:49:46 am
I might have to redesign my palette and study Jad's a bit more.  This readability issue is really a hassle for me, since ive been working on the sprite i know what everything is so it all looks fine to me  :-[

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: January 09, 2010, 02:38:30 pm

I'm not sure if you noticed this that I posted in tpt.
(last one...)

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 03:39:03 pm
Yeah sorry i noticed that i just forgot to post about it :P I do like what you did with the edit and i see it's much more readable.  My latest one though, everyone ive asked says it's readable.

--Thanks to Elk for some tips--

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: April 03, 2010, 12:40:51 am
He's back  :D

Edit: Thanks to the guys at the Pixelation Chat for all the help!

Offline linx

• View Profile

Re: Character help+Tiles

Reply #38 on: April 04, 2010, 05:56:06 am
Well ive had these tiles for a while, and as some people from #pixelation have pointed out there are some issues with them, not being loopable.  Well im revamping what i have so let me just get these out of the way and ask what exactly i could do to improve them besides the loopability issue? 
Let me note: I am not trying to go for a fade to black look.

Offline zez

• View Profile

Re: Character help+Tiles

Reply #39 on: April 05, 2010, 01:38:47 am
I really like those, but you have a dark line on the far right of the tiles. Its more noticeable in the grass ones, where it is actually just a total absence of detail, but it comes back by the middle rock in each tile, you could probably fix that by (I normally really wouldn't recommend this,) selecting everything but the far right line of pixels, and stretching everything over 1 pixel, then fixing up any area that turned to crap as a result. The darkest tile set also looks off, if you are going for a gradient, you want to lower the contrast between it and the last shade, and if the idea is that that part is non-colliding and the stuff above it is colliding, you should darken it more to up the contrast, to make it more obvious, right now it doesn't really make sense, and If  I was playing this, I wouldn't know if I could run passed it or not...
Totally aside, the grass itself looks awesome. Reads as grass, and isnt too obviously tiled.  :y: