AuthorTopic: I haven't posted in 9 years  (Read 90856 times)

Offline silvir

• AKA Noah Bradley
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

I haven't posted in 9 years

on: March 12, 2015, 12:01:43 pm
...Hey guys. :)

The odds of any of the old crowd being around, much less remembering me, seems pretty slim. But maybe there's still one or two around here. If so, hi!

Anyway, my name is Noah Bradley, or, when I was a teenager I used to be known, "silvir." Nowadays, I do concept art and illustration. But I got my start here on Pixelation doing pixel art as a kid. This was one of my first loves artistically and its always held a special place in my heart.

So tonight I took one of the illustrations I've done for Magic: The Gathering and turned it into a little animated piece. It's super crude and I am rusty as hell at pixel art, but man does it feel good to do it again.

Thanks to everyone here for keeping this community going. I credit my time here for some of my first, big lessons in art. And giving me the push to be where I am today. So thanks.

<3

Noah "silvir" Bradley

http://noahbradley.com

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: I haven't posted in 9 years

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 12:23:53 pm
can you post an image from 9 years ago? I might remember it!
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:31:35 pm
hey :)  just a nobody here, (I dream one day I can create something I'm proud of.)  I scrounged your website a bit.

1-your art is inspirational and beautiful.  ::) :D

2-thanks for the the articles such as 10 books for artists etc etc.   :)
----------

I can't say too much about the animation.  It'd be cool to see your original illustration. 

...How finished is it?  looks very wip for what you could achieve with your ability.  The greys in the piece lack contrast.  Everything else just looks unfinished- (unclean lines, unfinished bg, sketchy animation etc)

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 07:43:36 pm
I saw this on imgur.com. Congrats on making the front page!

Offline Leogrim

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 04:42:34 am
"The odds of any of the old crowd being around, much less remembering me, seems pretty slim. But maybe there's still one or two around here. If so, hi!"

Well...I didn't know you are pixeling too...but I am a follower of your artwork.^^ I think my first real indepth look at your art was through your video on masterstudies. Really helped me a lot.
Still a beginner and learning on my side...but one day I want to be as cool as you :)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 04:47:08 am
Wow, well welcome back!
Pretty crazy to see someone of your level here, and to know you started out with some pixels. I'm a big fan of your work, and would love to break into those industries someday. Keep being awesome, and the master of clouds amongst other things! :y:

You might find it interesting to take a look at some of the "developments" of pixel art since you've been away. Helm's ramblethread on pixel clusters is a really interesting read. It might seem very far removed from illustration at first ( and really, it is) but it has a lot to do with good shape design which is something to strive for across all mediums, as you know.

http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=8110.0

Of course it looks really cool as is, but it is a little unrefined. For someone like you who has a great grasp on art fundamentals, if you ever come back to pixel art, you can delve into the finer stuff with little to no worry. Your color count is low which is good, but you have some palette entries that could be used well in other places, and some that aren't really necessary.

Also, just for fun  :D

Offline silvir

• AKA Noah Bradley
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 11:50:15 pm
Kazuya Mochu: I wish! I need to dig up some old stuff. Surely it's on an old harddrive somewhere. :) There was a piece that might still be online, but for the life of me I can't remember what the site was called. It was an isometric town that the guy who ran it let people get one tile to build whatever they wanted on. I made a log cabin for that. It's out there somewhere.

Friend: Thanks so much! :) And yeah, it's very rough. Wip/sketch is probably a better classification for this.

cels: Thanks, the internet is a crazy place. :)

Leogrim: One day you, too, shall return here and seem like an old man.

Ryumaru: Thanks so much! And thanks for the link--I'll check it out. I am sorta hoping to get back into the artform. It has such wonderful limitations to it and it's refreshing my love of art.

Thanks for the crit--100% spot on. Looks and feels much better. Will try to be more conscious of all of this next time around.

Thanks again, y'all!

Offline silvir

• AKA Noah Bradley
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 01:18:16 am
Did another quick animated sketch of another newly released Magic piece. Fun way to practice things and get back into the groove.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 02:26:34 am
the website you describe sounds like either pixeldam or the joint
http://www.pixeldam.net/citymap.asp  http://www.pixeljoint.com/projects/thejoint/

I think I was looking at your pixel piece from the wrong perspective.  When Ryumaru saw it as a gameboy screen, I lit up with joy on how nice it looks as a gbc image.

Your avy just revamped again my view on pixel art: Less explicit detail, more chunkiness and not fearing the grid

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:28:17 am by Friend »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 02:40:10 am
I feel like the guy casting(?) could use more frames of animation.  The fire is too smooth for him to be so jerky. 

Maybe make him intensify while raising his arms?