AuthorTopic: Character help+Tiles  (Read 26172 times)

Offline linx

• View Profile

Re: Character help

Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 01:37:03 pm
Update time! Did some minor edits since the last one you guys saw and tried a walk animation...
Not on my computer and i didn't upload the non-animated image anywhere.
Edit: Eugh.. that walk, i'll have to fix that when i come back home :(
Heavy Breathing (Idle):

Walk:

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 07:29:39 pm
TIPS:
The arms should bend progressively as they move forward, then relax back to a less bent, almost straight position as they swing back.
The feet should extend to look like they're pushing him off the ground, right now they look like hes just lifting them.
The knees don't look like they're being bent, it looks like they're sagging more and the foot is moving to an odd position. I'd move up the area where the knees bend.
The legs look like they're extending as he steps down, thats bad. If this weren't a walk I would say to make your legs bend more, but with a walk the feet tend to stay closer to the ground, almost like sliding along the ground.
The whole point is force, to have a nice, powerful, yet relaxed walk.

I really think you should go back over DarkFalzX's post. This is what you should aim for at least for the walking animation.
Yo!: )
I think you make him pause in the wrong place of the animation, making his step more hesitant, and losing any weight impact.
I have concocted a super quick edit over here - see if this works better:

I have cut two frames one for each leg in mid-step, and added two frames by essentially doubling the duration of the step impact, slightly emphasizing it. Also rebalanced his near arm - it was swinging way too far forward. The edit is rough, so I didn't exactly follow your model design. Sorry.

^^Not to redesign your dude - but I kinda felt like his idle stance was a bit unstable and shy.

I'm also rather disappointed with the morph from hero to average joe. :(

Edit coming soon.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 07:41:18 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 08:43:10 pm
Well since i can't edit anything now (note i made that animation before i left my house about 5 days ago) i'll talk about the whole transformation thing.  I don't get how he looked more like a hero before since his outfit was just pretty much a gray overall suit with red stuff here and there  :-\
Oh yeah and a scarf :P

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 09:09:34 pm
Well...

What makes someone look like a hero is unique clothing.
Everyone has a red jacket and camo cargo pants.

(Well, anyone COULD have those, at least.)

Choose custom order clothes. ;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:11:41 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 27, 2009, 09:11:31 pm
I dont .... :'(
Yeah but i see what you're saying, i'm horrible at designing outfits for characters :-\.  Awaiting your edit :)

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 10:55:15 pm
Well, just try to be creative.

As another example, police are dressed as they are because hoe many people in black clothes with shiny metal badges do you see walking around? Not many i'd think, and that makes police officers stand out as important characters/people.

Its not done yet but here you go.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 06:48:38 am
Crazy - I'm not sure I see where you're taking this; IMO adding a muddle of colors that will be hard to read and animated isn't solving many design issues.

It looks like we've moved from kinda cliche to kinda dull.  There is a big difference between the two!  And I think you stepped in the right direction with something a little less typical, but "Joe Cornerstore puts on a baldric" is still a little underwhelming.

There are a lot of roads into the creative process.  Some people like to write a whole story before they pick how the main character looks.  Some fist-person games get way, way into the design before they firm up the appearance, if they ever do.  Some people like to sketch and just see what comes, maybe set a few versions aside or make them into supporting cast on the way but otherwise just let things flow.  Most people I think are in-between.

If you take for instance the guy in my avatar, I began by playing a bunch of Rome: Total War, and then remembering that I had a history of arms and armor book that I hadn't looked into yet.  I flipped to the section on Marian Rome and noticed that the guy had a particular style of drawing tunics: high waist and flowing in a really neat way.  I lost a battle against Epirus and decided to break from the computer.  He became a SKETCH which then got turned into a rough outline and finally a drawing.  The colors and details came naturally in the process, although that doesn't need to be the case.

Although I wouldn't exactly claim that this character is extremely unique or exciting, it's not just a Ryu type character.  Ultimately character relies on the writing, gameplay, and perhaps most importantly the distinctions between characters within the title, but starting with a decent visual foundation is a great way to move into each of those.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 06:24:09 pm

Glad to be back home, i could finally make some edits  :)

Edit: A lot of people seemed to like #1 , i think this might be getting a bit busy though...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:47:03 pm by linx »

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 03:14:23 am
'Nother edit.
"Blobbed version idle"
Also the finalized version. I really don't think i'll be editing it anymore as if i dont make any desicions i'll just keep editing and editing until my hands hurt D:

Sorry about the lack of transparency :P

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 02:41:30 pm
Dude, your "blobbed" version reads ten times better than anything else in the thread.  Add some slight highlights and shadows and you're done.

Not sure aobut the blink though - too rhythmic
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.