AuthorTopic: Character help+Tiles  (Read 26457 times)

Offline MegaLeon

• View Profile

Re: Character help

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 09:07:08 am
That's pretty interesting, most people i've asked like the new version. Any reasons why you like the old one better?

Maybe you've misurunderstood, I like the new stance, it's definitely an improvement, but i prefer the first color choice, the one with purple hair  ;)

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 09:16:34 am
Ah well i've been going through complete revamps on him  :o

Still not finished yet.. trying to figure out how i'm going to add in a scarf and make it look right :P
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:22:37 am by linx »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 04:57:51 pm
HARRO MY NAME JAD AND I NO LIKE OUTLINES TOO MUCH

Working with blotches of silhouette colours and then beefing them up with shading and highlights will make your picture much more readable and reduce noise .. and make it easier to animate - all which helps in pixel art.

I think my superrevamp edit might help you a bit, especially since you're doing a revamp of your own. Lower one just has more contrast btw, no big deal there

thanks for inspiring me to do an edit and put some effort into something

oh also blue hair is totally nice and makes him recognizable. Keep it!
' _ '

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 05:23:51 pm
Wow your revamp helps a lot. My biggest problem is that everyone still thinks it's a cape  :yell:
#1-
#2-
#3-
#4-
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:44:32 pm by linx »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 01:09:09 am
My crit is more about character design - this guy reads as basically a Ryu from breath of fire or mayyyyybe the disgaea kid but either way lacks a lot of personality that isn't given to him by other characters (who are still pretty generic...in fact it's an in-joke in the BoF series).
It's not a terrible design, I just think that skinny teenager with blue hair and red cape/scarf has been done and it wasn't too fantastic when those guys did it either (supporting cast in both series have routinely better designs...with the exception of Nina).

The two swords are a nice shift.  I don't know of many characters that specifically use that dagger and sword combo and the simple approach to the blade shape is appealing.

Take a second look at the edits.  Outlines may not exist in that harsh a form, but you need to use light and shadow to define edges.  there are a lot of details in the new guy but i can't read any of them.

Also look to silhouettes: the way that sword blade comes back and intercepts the face is awkward at best, if not visually sloppy.  The stance is better but still reads a bit weak.  Also, be careful of the details - his strap is going on the wrong shoulder for that sword.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 03:00:33 am
Based off of your crit i've done some redesigning  :lol:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:23:08 am by linx »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 11:51:06 am
His legs have different thickness, which looks weird

I suggest you make the light-source come from the viewer's direction and not from the side, since the whole light source will flip when he turns around - not so hot.

His skin tones are very unnatural - make them more orangey and less pinky - but make sure he doesn't turn ORANGE per se. First finding a balance between pink and orange that you like would be a good step in selecting a good skin colour - then fiddling with saturation until it looks natural. Use my edit as some kind of reference, possibly (I think Arne would be able to give better crits on skin color, ehehehehehehe. I'll link you to the tutorial that explains the stuff. http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm#skin_tones )

are his hands and face supposed to have different colours? if not, unify them.

Shading still feels a bit all over the place, make sure that the different bits of shading aren't just dots here and there - that'll create noise. And, paradoxally, some 'outlines' or just some underlining of the darkest shades with one dark colour would help unify this piece. Or why not use the same dark colour for his pants and his arm guards? The saturation is overall quite high in the shadows, making the thing feel a bit surreal. Beef up the saturation and brightness in his highlights and gray-ify his shadows a little bit!

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm <- and read this, just read it and let it sink in, this tutorial is so damn good. It'll help you THINK about art just in general.

Also good luck guy, I love the way you're making constant progress and listening to our advice, compels me to help you even more.
' _ '

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 09:25:09 pm
I feel i fixed everything you've talked about... except the lightsource. Not sure how to make it look like it's towards the viewer without it looking like pillow shading....
(Hands have red gloves on that's why they mightve seemed like they had a different color)

Offline MegaLeon

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:24 pm
Nice edit.
Now i think you should get rid of those last black outlines (or outline it completely, just choose a style and be coherent) and definitely add some contrast in the upper block of the sprite ;)

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 07, 2009, 10:52:30 pm
Sorry Mr.Jad who no likes outlines.  :(