AuthorTopic: [WIP] Arcade Academy  (Read 53557 times)

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] space-man (anim + tiles)

Reply #20 on: July 10, 2007, 11:03:00 pm
quick crit: The shoulder-pads need to move in the running animation! And the run probably would need to be faster in-game, or else the gameplay might turn out too slow.

I like the sprites a lot. The old-school black void background not so much, though.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #21 on: July 11, 2007, 06:59:34 am
Initially they did tilt around with the arm but it looked too mechanical, here's a new edit. Was it something like this you had in mind?

Also added some background to the cave.

Better?

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 07:31:20 am
I've added another weapon to the arsenal. The idea is to use a particle system for the acid later on.
It looks like it could be a pretty useful weapon to fire on enemies that are below you on another floor perhaps.

I tried to make it look like the acid jet is heavier than the hand gun. There are so few pixels to work with though so I'm having a hard time with the arms looking too stiff.
Tilting the gun when running is out of the question and finding an elbow is really hard.

Also, wouldn't it be great if you could see approximately how much acid you have left by looking at the canister? 1 px per 8 shots would make 40 shots per canister.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 07:48:19 am
Looks like it would have the same force as a super soaker, not a fire hose. But I think it's fine since things needed to be exaggerated here and there. I hope the "shot" looks different, I guessing that's a fill in.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 07:56:06 am
Looks like it would have the same force as a super soaker, not a fire hose. But I think it's fine since things needed to be exaggerated here and there. I hope the "shot" looks different, I guessing that's a fill in.

What do you mean? You think it should have a longer range?
Explain what you think is wrong.

I had in mind something stronger than a super soaker, for all we know it's an electrically powered acid-jet.
Perhaps I should have made it fire at least twice as long.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 10:23:57 am
I think what he means is it looks weak.
A thicker blast perhaps?

Right now it's like piss, you know.

But I guess it's all in the effect; if it makes people melt, then it might be preferrable to a handgun.

I like that background. Are those green things supposed to be stalactites (stalaCtites -> Ceiling, stalaGmites-> Ground :P)? They look like grass though, maybe you'd want to change the color. The shapes don't seem to be organic, they look like bricks instead of ground tiles. IS this what you had in mind?:O
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 11:23:36 am
Sorry for not explaining, I think the gun has too much recoil. Also it's like it stops in mid-air. It should be "falling" the whole time instead of falling once it hits something. Anyone else agree? Do you agree robotacon?

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #27 on: July 14, 2007, 11:45:29 am
I see what you mean. Perhaps it shouldn't look like piss but I'm happy to hear it looks like liquid.
Making people melt sounds like a good idea. Would be hell to pixel though.

The green stuff is supposed to be organic like grass or some space fungus thing. The ground tiles are irregular bricks/rocks and everything between is just dirt, mud and stones.
I wanted to get a feeling of something not exactly human but still humanoid.

Here's the latest update, did work mostly on the HUD.

The ammo section should only show the ammo for the current weapon.
It now displays ammo for the stun-gun, dart-gun, acid-jet, rocket-launcher and the grenade-chucker.

I feel that it's not as other-worldly as I had hoped for though, currently it almost looks medieval which wasn't what I was going for.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: July 14, 2007, 12:24:31 pm

Complementary color separation between foreground and background. Give it a try.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 14, 2007, 12:50:10 pm
Heh, I was reading through the thread, and just about to put in words what Helm so perfectly illustrated.
It seems that I am alone, but I like the acid gun as is... It's very comical, and I like that.