AuthorTopic: [WIP] Arcade Academy  (Read 53442 times)

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

[WIP] Arcade Academy

on: July 03, 2007, 05:54:22 pm
I'm greatful for all C&C I can get. Everything is WIP.

IDEA:
Arcade Academy is going to be a game where you play as young students of a video game hero school.

FORM:
All the teachers are former video game characters and classes you attend are in the form of arcade style mini games. The main part of the game however takes place in platform mode as seen by the sprites below. The students parents all are highly respected game protagonists from all kinds of different games which also serve as harder to reach levels. There's also a rival schools that you interact with.

GFX:

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 09:09:59 pm by robotacon »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: space-man walk-cycle

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 06:31:42 pm
there seem to be weird things on the arms and something like a flashing green thing when the front leg is about to move forward again ...

That makes it difficult for judging the rest :-/

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: [WIP] space-man walk-cycle

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 06:45:11 pm
Sorry, I fixed the flashing hand.

I'm guessing the weird things on his arms is what I meant to be a chest plate and a back pack.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 06:51:54 pm
Now I removed some gear for clarity.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 08:02:50 pm
It's a decent start, but you have some fundamental flaws going on.

- In the frames 10-1-2 and 5-6-7 the forward foot is making REALLY odd stuff, jumping and snapping around.

- In frames 1-2 and 6-7 the arms stay the same, no reason for that.

- In the same frames the backwards foot/ lower leg shrinks into the knee. It's important in animation to keep the volumes consistant.

- The arms are slightly different on each of the 2 steps, but why did you just put the legs at the same place and make the back one darker. Even if you make it darker which works well in videogames, you should make them a bit different. And if you make the farther leg darker you should do the same with the arm.

not regarding the animation, the antialias on the outside of the helmet does not help.

Keep it up  :y:

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 08:58:35 pm
I'm loving this piece, but it looks a bit odd that the behind leg is darker than the behind arm, would they be the same(I know that was worded horribly but eh, I'm tired)?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 10:43:52 pm
Now I removed some gear for clarity.

Good stuff. You should add a little subtle animation to his arms, he'll look a bit too stiff without it, I reckon, your frame count is quite high but it doesn't show, since his arms are so snappy.

Also, being a spaceman, wouldn't he be walking around in a lot of places with low gravity? Just a feeling I have, if so, you don't need all that heaviness. If he's in an area with earth-like gravity, I suppose his gear would weigh him down a bit.

Otherwise it's a good walk, just make sure that the soles of his shoes make a smooth line as they travel, it's one of the keys to a flowing walk. As of now it's snappy and it's one of the only things that doesn't work.
' _ '

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 08:09:10 am
Thanks for the constructive criticism. It helps a lot!
I've tried to follow your instructions and this is what I have now:

The arms are not as stiff and I've tilted the feet differently than I did before.
I also added a a little hint of the arms appearing when the arms are straight down so that they don't pop out so fast.

Other than that there is some clean up of stray pixels that seemed to blip/blink.

EDIT:
 I removed the AA on the helmet as pointed out by ptoing. It didn't help and I've tried to stay away from AA in the rest of the piece as well so it looks better without.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 08:11:51 am by robotacon »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 11:37:27 am
Thanks for the constructive criticism. It helps a lot!
I've tried to follow your instructions and this is what I have now:

The arms are not as stiff and I've tilted the feet differently than I did before.
I also added a a little hint of the arms appearing when the arms are straight down so that they don't pop out so fast.

Other than that there is some clean up of stray pixels that seemed to blip/blink.

EDIT:
 I removed the AA on the helmet as pointed out by ptoing. It didn't help and I've tried to stay away from AA in the rest of the piece as well so it looks better without.

Just a big thumbs up for you! This is a great improvement, it's flowy and nice, just how I like my walks :]

Good job! He looks really funky in a way, and I'm digging it.
' _ '

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 05:06:21 pm
Now, I think this might be a personal preference, but I suggest you darken the blinding white light of the helmet. It is distracting and takes away from the very nice walk cycle you have going.