AuthorTopic: [WIP]The blobs  (Read 23191 times)

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

[WIP]The blobs

on: June 05, 2007, 09:41:24 pm
well this is going to be a completed game soon but here are some of my sprites right now

C&C great so i can make my game look good

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]The blobs

Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 10:23:30 pm
The sprite: the colors are very close to eachother, upper the contrast. Darken the outline and make it less saturated.
The animation: Because this guy has no arms you should do more with the body, make it move a bit.
Use this image for a reference:

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:46:45 pm
Lets leave the animation aside for now.

Well, the first thing i could tell you is that you post some pictures of your backdrops/stages, right now i think that maybe you are going after a soft/child-drawing like look reminiscent of the Snes gamehttp://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=12201(for example).
If thats the case, the eyes and mouth of the character is contrasting too much with the rest of the character, and you should replace that colour with a softer more similar to the character colour.

In any case, the actual colours of the character are too pale, and you should up the contrast between them at least a notch, the actual outline of the character may need to be a little more noticeable also depending on the backdrop.

The perspective seems a bit weird to me also, since the character seems to be facing a sideview, yet on the animation, we see the legs on a different perspective.

You should also consider a slight hue variation on the colours, wich tend to make the sprites more rich visually.

After that maybe, we could take on that animation, but like i said on the start, leave it aside from now.

If you need any more asistance, im happy to do some edits if you want.

-Krut

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 11:32:19 pm
this any better

i changed the sat difference between each color up higher,
i changed the mouth so its not black but a very lower sat of the middle color,
made the outline a little more visible

I like pale colors

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 12:49:28 am
The problem my friend, is that the colours you are using, makes the shading barely noticeable.
You also havent fixed the perspective issue, wich could be dealt either making the face in the same perspective as the legs or viceversa.

I took the liberty of making a few edits, see if any of them do you good, if they do, study and gather what you can, and retry doing some stuff on your piece; Post the progress, and lets take it from there.

Looking forward to your progress on this sprite.

-Krut

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 07:12:21 pm
i dont get how how the legs and face are in a different perspective ???
i dont really like your color choice  :-[ i really like my choice of colors and perspective.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 07:21:38 pm
i dont get how how the legs and face are in a different perspective ???
i dont really like your color choice  :-[ i really like my choice of colors and perspective.
Well then you're probably the only one I'm afraid. I don't like your colours whatsoever.
His colour choices are better, your perspective is flawed, not his. Don't ignore his comments man.

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 07:40:39 pm
Chigsam, your colors are flat, uninteresting and lack and form of shading or shape. Your perspective has two legs visible typical of a 45 degree view and a head that's typical of a 90 degree view, and he has no neck so that cannot even physically work.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 07:44:32 pm
Yea well i figured it would look better at the face of a different angle but my guy doesnt need a neck becuase he is fine how he is,
im starting to not like my color choice either but i was going for a kiddy cartoony pale look not a Krut look with colors.
Soooo.... I dont like their choices of colors but i cant find my own :yell:

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 07:53:53 pm
"Kiddy" isn't a choice of colors, unless you mean primitive. Sure it uses lots of solid colors and simple designs, but any color can work and the best way to find good colors is trial and error.