AuthorTopic: [WIP]The blobs  (Read 23069 times)

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Re: [WIP]The blobs

Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 08:13:19 pm
Kiddy doesn't mean making your sprite look flat and plain. In kiddy, you actually get alot that they look like baloons with big white highlights and cel shaded.

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 08:27:39 pm
i dont get how how the legs and face are in a different perspective ???
i dont really like your color choice  :-[ i really like my choice of colors and perspective.

Hey man;

Hope this illustrates in a better way; check the big guys with the green arrow; they both have fixed perspective.
In one, you have the eyes that acomodate the legs perspective, and the other is the exact opossite (the sideview)

I was just proposing some alternatives on your colour choises, giving emphasis on the slight hue variation, wich as you can see, does make a piece more visually appealing, you can, however (and thats the point) check how its done and pick your own colours with hue variation.

The colours are indeed brigther, but thats not what im trying to show you, but the contrast between them; if you have 2 shades, and one is practically the same as the other, the shading wont be noticable, and speaking in pixel art terms, its a wasted colour.

Now, probably you dont like the changes that i made to your char, BUT, look at them, check the antialising that i applied, it makes the char rounder; check the little highlight done at the bottom, wich enriches the character, check the shadows, the little "bump/lip" that now the char has, all of this take it study it, and apply as you see fit in your own way.

-Krut

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 09:40:03 pm
am i getting any closer to what you are saying? ???

>> changed the eyes a little to my liking
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 09:44:12 pm by chigsam »

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 10:49:59 pm
Perpective is better, yes  :y:

Id say the shading still needs to be adressed though, and for some reason, you now have added pixels in the "joints" of the outline.
The body needs to cast a shadow on his left leg also.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 10:50:11 pm
That already is a lot better, tho the colours don't do much.

You do need more contrast though, it might as well be 3 colours or something. The shade you have for aa is wasted for example, it does nothing and the shadowcolour as well. It just does not read all too well atm. Krut's edits are a very good way to go and try emulate, tho i would say that the shadow could still be a bit darker and more contrasted.

keep it up.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 08:02:47 pm
ok well here is a screen shot of my game without the new sprite added:

i like my perspective on my new guy that i made but i dont think it would fit the perspetcive of my game :/
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 08:05:10 pm by chigsam »

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 08:06:16 pm
Gamemaker huh? I started programming and spriting with RPG maker 95, but hey, it's all good.

And it'll fit just fine if you bring the top of your platforms up maybe 5 or 6 pixels to show their top sides, it'll help perspective a lot.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 08:14:58 pm
i dont get what you mean ??? put it on an angle?

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 08:19:04 pm
Well, like i feared, you background and your character blends too much, (the pink blob on the bottom part), you might want to look into that with your new version, specially the outline.
You have a good reference in order to get rid of that problem, so even if you want to maintain pastel looking colours, you need contrast between them to make them noticeable, and even more contrast between character and background, otherwise your gameplay goes down because the character wont be noticed by player.

Also, dont worry about the different perspective between the char and the platform, the "Kirby" games maintains the same aesthethics (diagonal direction of the player and full sideview of the platforms) , this can be handled with the animation, plus, you could extend the platform  a little on the upside (think of it like a topdown + sideview merge) Like shown in this picture.

Continue your progress on the sprite  :y:.

-Krut

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 08:22:00 pm
oh i get what you are saying! perfect example thank you! now i just need to work on those colors i guess!  :lol: