AuthorTopic: Pixel Art awarded a DD at dA  (Read 18463 times)

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Re: Pixel Art awarded a DD at dA

Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 01:24:02 pm
Something that also really annoyes me there:
"FIRST POST!"
And that's it. As comment on a piece of art they give FIRST POST. Are all those people there 6 or 7?

Sorry, I don't quite follow what you mean?

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 01:26:43 pm
What the? haha.

I didn't even know about this... Nor do I really care.  I post my work there because a lot of my animation friends do and I enjoy seeing their work as well, but I much prefer a place like this where you receive actual helpful feedback. 

-Fry

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 11, 2007, 01:32:48 pm
What the? haha.

I didn't even know about this... Nor do I really care.  I post my work there because a lot of my animation friends do and I enjoy seeing their work as well, but I much prefer a place like this where you receive actual helpful feedback. 

-Fry

Hi Fry!

Is this your work that got the DD? I won't congratulate you as it appears dA is a dirty word.

There are a ship load of kids getting interested in pixel art there and if they are encouraged the quality may well improve. If everyone abandons the place then there will be heaps of kids who may never get a decent education about pixel art.

I realize I will probably go down fighting but meh, what the hell....I reckon pixel art is worth fighting for!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 01:42:50 pm
There are a ship load of kids getting interested in pixel art there and if they are encouraged the quality may well improve. If everyone abandons the place then there will be heaps of kids who may never get a decent education about pixel art.

point these kids towards here. DA is a vanity excersize that has little to do with actual critique and helping people become better artists. It also shapes what I call the 'DA aesthetic' of quasi-painted anime with robots and guns and samurai swords which is very hurtful if trapped in it.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 01:50:09 pm
I agree.

Anyone who wishes to learn more about pixel art should be directed here.  This community will make someone a good pixel artist.

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually quite suprised and flattered that my pixel art made it as a DD.  However, it's not as rewarding as taking a "meh" piece of work and getting the help from this community to make it look like something beyond your expectations, and that's what the DA artists who are interested in pixelling should be aiming for.  A place that gives honest constructive criticism and not just "FIRST POST" and "KEWLERS".

-Fry

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 01:58:20 pm

point these kids towards here. DA is a vanity excersize that has little to do with actual critique and helping people become better artists. It also shapes what I call the 'DA aesthetic' of quasi-painted anime with robots and guns and samurai swords which is very hurtful if trapped in it.

I would be delighted to point them here but the problem is that it will continue to remain an elitist art form with very few proficient artists as you are hiding away from the wider world of young and up and coming artists.

Once they discover what real pixel art is all about, trust me they will find their way here. The point you make about vanity may be quite another thing altogether, some may see it as encouragement. Are you not in the least bit susceptible to your peers telling you they like what you have done with a piece of your artwork?

The thing you dislike about dA will only get worse if there is no knowledge there to teach the young about pixeling....and more importantly the ethics of pixeling.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 05:07:06 pm
I would be delighted to point them here but the problem is that it will continue to remain an elitist art form with very few proficient artists as you are hiding away from the wider world of young and up and coming artists.

Why is it elitist? I don't think a medium (not art form, pixels are a medium) can be 'elitist'. We're not pushing anyone away here. Everybody who wants to learn and help is welcome. That's not elitist at all.

There's so many capable pixel artists here who are not hiding at all from the net art scene at large. You're simply mistaken on that count. My own personal choices on the matter partain to a complete lack of ambition to be 'recognised' as 'an awesome artist'. I can live without the asspats.

Once they discover what real pixel art is all about, trust me they will find their way here.

Fair enough, if they don't get trapped in vanity sites like DA to the point where they're not interesting in making and bettering their art, but just in the social aspect. Pixelation discourages socialization-sans-art-critique (we actually have very few users who only talk and don't do art). We're a critique board foremost. This will never change as long as I'm involved with the administration. DA is an experiment in social clique construction, the art is very secondary.

The point you make about vanity may be quite another thing altogether, some may see it as encouragement. Are you not in the least bit susceptible to your peers telling you they like what you have done with a piece of your artwork?

Sure I do, but that's not why I make stuff. If you look at my gallery in pixeljoint, you'll see I do odd artwork that isn't usually easy to love. If I wanted to be adored I'd draw big-breasted women and cool hip samurai robots in snes-pastel palettes exclusively. Pixelation doesn't pressure people to make the same style of art because we don't rate, we don't have favourites, we don't have the watch mechanism. We don't reward art with anything other than good critique and honest opinions.

The thing you dislike about dA will only get worse if there is no knowledge there to teach the young about pixeling....and more importantly the ethics of pixeling.

I hope DA simply collapses on itself soon. I don't care at all who it takes with it, carreer socialites and art pests and all the assorted internet drama. Let them drown.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 11, 2007, 05:16:57 pm
No matter how many times you click the 'CRITIQUE ENCOURAGED' box... you will only get shit.

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 06:32:51 pm
33 comments and 124 favourites on my Daily Deviation... So far.

Not a single word of criticism.. all asspats.

I'm glad people like it, but I agree with Helm.  I would much rather have constructive feedback much like what I received when I posted it here.

-Fry

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 04:39:44 am
Fry, you will only get ass pats on a DD. If you dare to criticize a DD you will be torn to shreds....I know, I did, I got shit hurled all over me.

What a DD is good for is to get a focus onto it. If it is good,  people will study it but they are unlikely to comment. I have had your piece of work in my reference folder for some time, in order to study various aspects of form and shading. I have many other pieces there as well which I study.

Helm, thank you for answering each point so clearly. I am not going to argue with your points as they are valid feelings for you and probably many others.

To everyone else thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate your opinions.

Pixel art is about to happen big time at dA....please yourself if you want to have an influence there or not.....