AuthorTopic: Pixel Art awarded a DD at dA  (Read 18611 times)

Offline Fry

• westenfry
    • View Profile
    • Westen Fry Portfolio

Re: Pixel Art awarded a DD at dA

Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 01:02:53 pm
One thing that I do like about deviantart is the fact that I can see what a lot of my real life friends in different animation or illustration college programs are working on and I can show them what I'm up to too.  It's not a bad community for something like that.  I actually only have five things on deviantart right now (two of them are pictures of my python Belmont).  The other three are things which I had posted here first and received some helpful feedback.

I did however get a lot of messages about pixel art after my piece became a DD, and I directed them here and to Tsugumo's tutorial.

-Fry   

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 03:28:32 pm
Instead of siphoning people away from dA it would be far better to create a better knowledge of what pixel art is exactly and let the artform grow there

No it would not be in my opinion. If some dA artists want to educate as to what pixel art is in their art description, that would be cool, up to them. I don't see the need to go around in a popularity-contest-based internet service and try to take the moral highground about what 'real pixel art is' or anysuch. The only place I can do this is in here, and that's because when you sign up on this forum, you're agreeing to some things, which are wildly, wildly different than those in dA.

Fry, thank you for doing what you said you did. Show people the tutorial, show them the forum and pixeljoint.

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 12:43:13 pm
This is not a hideout for pixel artists. We are all aware of dA's existance, and if some of us are not participating there, it must be for a reason.
Most of the stuff you "featured" on your journal entry was done by members from pixelation and pixeljoint.
If you are trying to "evangelize" pixelart there, I think you are blindly walking towards a wall.

I was trying to demonstrate a level of quality in pixel art, naturally at the moment, the best will come from these two forums as this is where the dA pixel artists and others hang out.

As far as being evangelical about Pixel Art is concerned, I don't believe showing examples of what I regard as quality and something which has an appeal not normally seen as a collection, to be particularly evangelical but I will leave that to others to decide.

First of all, people won't care much about what you are doing. Why? Because you are a no-one in dA without tons of pageviews, without some high rank/status, without tons of devwatchers, without featured art. For some reason there is this invisible rank thing going on, involving what I said. No matter how good your intentions or art are, you won't make a revolution in dA if you lack those.

Those that did have all the pageviews, rank, followers and probably brown nosed the 'right' people didn't make much of a difference to Pixel Art at dA in the past. The fact that I am a no one, of no consequence, with no political affiliations makes it easier because it is quite clear I don't have a personal agenda to promote myself or my work, nor am I trying to ingratiate myself with anyone.

As you have taken the trouble to look at my site you may have noticed I do not make celebratory signs nor take screen shots of my landmark number page views. I quite frankly couldn't give a flying toss for that sort of twaddle. I am there to learn and aim for excellence....as far as I have the capacity for so doing. Apart from that, it isn't about *me* creating a revolution I am one minuscule drop in the ocean....Yeah OK, I will say it first....the dA ocean is full of drips!! 

Perhaps one day when I have put in thousands of hours of practice and believe I cannot further improve on my work and feel I am really starting to fly, I will come here and offer what I think is a piece of art worthy of critique in the WIP section. I will then be fully prepared to have my wings ripped off and go through a whole new and valuable learning curve. I have a long way to go and a lot more practice before that will happen.

Second, most of the people go to dA for showing their stuff and for the whole community and popularity thing, not for learning (and if they do, it is probably because they haven't heard of better places yet). People that are experienced only expect those ass kissing comments there. Those that want to get better through critique have already moved somewhere else (even if they still upload their stuff). And those that are "not that experienced" are those commenters that go like "OMG SO COOL! + FAV!!!". But pretty much everything revolves around popularity there.

I wouldn't presume to comment on other peoples' motives for being at dA. I imagine it would be as diverse as it is in any walk of life as to why someone does something.  Why am I there? I am there to learn, that is how I came to discover how bereft dA is of pixel art.

What has dA done to us so we would make another "pixelation" there? Why would we want to lend a hand to a huge, chaotic and self destructing community? Why aim there when we have this here?

That is a question only you could answer. You may not want to be there at all....this is entirely up to the individual as to where  each person feels the most comfortable and productive.

Also you mention that more emoticonists (heh) are getting interested in pixel art in your notes, why not point them here instead of waiting for your revolution?
We already have what they need, all they lack is pointers here.

It is time you look at the whole thing from a different perspective.

I doubt with your comment of 'emoticonists (heh)' that a great many of the really excellent emoticonists would be too comfortable here with that sort of an attitude. It won't be until they leave emoticons behind that they may venture into these hallowed halls of high achievement as has one of the world's greatest emoticonists  in the person of Fool. In fact it was through Fool the emoticonist and his site, I found these forums.

As far as perspective is concerned, my focus is on an expansion of high quality pixel art at dA. This would do no harm to your forums.  If however, there is a rapid expansion of an interest in pixel art at dA without proper oversight from experienced pixel artists like yourselves, your forums are going to be chock a block with crap and second rate sprites, mock up pseudo pixel art, pretty wide eyed dollies in an array of lovely flowing  frocks and cutesy little iso rooms in pastel pinks...mmm, now there is something for which to look forward!!

This of course will make you all as sh!tty as hell and there may well be an all pervading air of belligerence toward newbies as you try to cope, this in turn will make you all look like a bunch of assholes and turn people away in droves. This would be all a bloody pity, as they may never return no matter how good they get, if they leave with a bad taste in their mouths.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 03:35:18 pm
So what you're saying is: We have to educate the people of DeviantArt before they get here so we won't get bad artists, and if we don't our hate for bad stereotypes and poorly educated newbies will make them not like us, or give up alltogether?

There are plenty of people making 'second rate sprites, mock up pseudo pixel art, pretty wide eyed dollies in an array of lovely flowing  frocks and cutesy little iso rooms in pastel pinks' here allready, and I don't recall anyone being banned or shunned for that reason alone. They came here to learn and that's the point. For that matter, DeviantArt is not the hub of the art world. People find their way here from a number of different places and I doubt all of them are experts.

I'm not sure I see what would be so horrible about this scenario. Help DA or people won't like you? I would rather say that taking the step out of DA is the next level of improvement for pixel-artists. If they want to stay there, that's fine. They can go back there if they feel too discouraged by our evil, but I think people have found their way here for a reason. The DA system is not very well suited for learning, and I'm not going to point the finger in an attempt to make it into something it's not.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #34 on: April 14, 2007, 06:06:03 pm

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #35 on: April 14, 2007, 07:09:57 pm
Perhaps one day when I have put in thousands of hours of practice and believe I cannot further improve on my work and feel I am really starting to fly, I will come here and offer what I think is a piece of art worthy of critique in the WIP section. I will then be fully prepared to have my wings ripped off and go through a whole new and valuable learning curve. I have a long way to go and a lot more practice before that will happen.

You're making too much of a big deal out of what is a pretty natural process of critique around here, I think. Just do your best, post, get points, go back to the drawing board. You don't need thousands of hours (Pixelation : The JRPG) nor do we cruelly rip the wings off of anyone here.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 07:32:30 pm
Indeed. What's with the overdramatisation. Just post your stuff and peoplewill comment and give constructive criticism.
About the whole DA and pixelart thing, I think that if someone is interested in pixelart enough and wants to improve he/she will surely find us.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: April 15, 2007, 03:05:26 pm
Since you are not getting it, let me get straight to the point. You are simply wasting your time. Instead you might aswell pixel or something.
If no one is paying attention to what you are doing in dA, why keep trying there? We already have/are what you are trying to get. It's not like once you join a  community you can't interact with different ones. Simply pointing them here will work. (And then, if they want to stop participating in dA or whatever place it is up to them)
Unlike your assumptions, we won't rip anyone's wings just because of the level of experience they have. We welcome anyone that is trying to learn, and will try to help as much as we can. All you have to do is behave.
About the "second rate" flood, it is not the whole community that should care about the level of the pieces, but each individual for him/herself.
I believe you should experience something before being able to criticise it the way you are doing, so I'd suggest you stop with the over dramatizing bullshit.

Oh and the "Heh" towards the emoticonists was due to how ridicule that word sounds in a serious context. But feel free to take it the way you want, I couldn't care the less.

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: April 16, 2007, 04:17:49 am

OK you guys are not getting it. Obviously my fault for poor communication.....

This is not about me, this is about Pixel Art as a respected and widely practiced art form.

There are certain steps required for a respected and well represented art form:

*Volume of people taking notice.

*Plenty of good quality and diverse examples for people to study.

*A clear understanding of exactly what it is and is not.

*A diverse group showing their work with different styles

*A very wide audience of artists looking for new styles which appeal to their creativity to feed the growth.

*Enough reputable artists 'on the ground' to keep integrity to a high standard.

*Enough egos to create a good competitive edge.

You are doing a grand job here and not for a second am I being critical but  I am just putting out the call...be there at dA for the beginning or not, it's up to each one of you.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #39 on: April 16, 2007, 04:35:02 am
I suggest you check out PixelJoint, it's very much like DA