AuthorTopic: Pixel Art awarded a DD at dA  (Read 18561 times)

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Pixel Art awarded a DD at dA

on: April 11, 2007, 11:48:33 am
Hi folks, I lurk here lots, nothing to say till now....

A piece of pixel art has been recognized at Deviant Art with a DD award! Yay! ;D

Link please!

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Pixel Art awarded a DD at dA

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 11:51:25 am
New account, fry?
Edit: oh should have been more carefull while reading, thougt you said it was yours. Sorry.

So. Well there are much more pieces on da that got DD. Good piece still.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:53:39 am by philipptr »

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 12:02:13 pm
No not my work philipptr, I would not mention it if it were mine!  :)

There is some wonderful pixel art on dA and hopefully there will be more awards to come. It is a wonderful style of artwork not nearly as popular as it should be on Deviant Art although there is an interesting project happening there at the moment. Link please

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 12:09:25 pm
I fail to see the point of this topic...

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 12:33:02 pm
Well, congrats to Fry, I guess.

For me, DeviantArt's DDs are worth nothing (or close to it).
Practically all of them are just random pieces that the admins/people-in-charge-of-DA picked because they liked them (or people recommended to them) rather than based on quality. So DDs are just biased.
Not to mention that there is a pixel art DD almost everyday.
Then again, some might like being in the spotlight of an ass kissing community for a day, but meh.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 12:35:12 pm by Panda »

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 12:47:18 pm
Well, congrats to Fry, I guess.

For me, DeviantArt's DDs are worth nothing (or close to it).
Practically all of them are just random pieces that the admins/people-in-charge-of-DA picked because they liked them (or people recommended to them) rather than based on quality. So DDs are just biased.
Not to mention that there is a pixel art DD almost everyday.
Then again, some might like being in the spotlight of an ass kissing community for a day, but meh.
Yeah true, if there's any place where you're gonna get "OMG AWESOME" or "OMG YOU SUCK" instead of proper comment, it's there.
Also, crappy anime drawings always take the upperhand in the popularity there, while muc better pieces have to bite the dust against them...

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 12:57:29 pm

Yeah true, if there's any place where you're gonna get "OMG AWESOME" or "OMG YOU SUCK" instead of proper comment, it's there.
Also, crappy anime drawings always take the upperhand in the popularity there, while muc better pieces have to bite the dust against them...

Yes you are so right, the uninformed critique can be most irritating particularly when one looks at a piece of stooged pixel art and the groupies are raving on as to how good it is and it is quite obvious they were ripped sprites with color added by noise filter.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 01:09:49 pm
I really don't like deviantart (anymore). Especially the pixel art section. Tons of crappy sprite comics, and almost no constructive critism on pieces with much more effort. Deviantart seems to become a place to either get "WOOOW SO UEBERCOOL XD ^^" comments or to write them.

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 01:21:20 pm
I really don't like deviantart (anymore). Especially the pixel art section. Tons of crappy sprite comics, and almost no constructive critism on pieces with much more effort. Deviantart seems to become a place to either get "WOOOW SO UEBERCOOL XD ^^" comments or to write them.

I find trying to sift through the submissions in the pixel art section akin to riffling through the trash can in the bedroom of a pre pubescent child.

The sad part is that this is the very place because of the sheer weight of numbers which could create a large pixel art community if more people actually knew what pixel art really was.

More is the pity if the pixel greats abandon the place, that will certainly seal the fate of sensible constructive comment on work submitted.

Education is the key....if only there were more educators there prepared to offer constructive comment.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 01:22:08 pm
Something that also really annoyes me there:
"FIRST POST!"
And that's it. As comment on a piece of art they give FIRST POST. Are all those people there 6 or 7?