AuthorTopic: I am retiring as a moderator of Pixelation - Also, Changes!  (Read 26399 times)

Offline Lanarky

• View Profile

Re: I am retiring as a moderator of Pixelation - Also, Changes!

Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 04:36:56 am
Thanks for all the work you've put into the forum, and if it wasn't for you and the ramble thread/clusters, I probably wouldn't have learned as much about pixel art as I know now. I'd been reading your posts years before I joined, all of them full of information that you were able to make fun and interesting. Pixelation might be a little different then before, but it has a a great looking future.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 11:47:04 am
Helm I really appreciate everything you've done here.
I owe you a great deal of mental inspiration.
Many of your writings and images extended my vocabulary to analyze and create.
Thanks.  :'(

Changes:
Agreed with everyone, more activities would be great.
I looked at my activity planning thread today: Last Edit: September 20, 2012  :blind:
So yah I've been slacking a bit!
It has a list of ideas going, just didn't get around to writing them up.
It's been a rough couple years.
Will try to get back on that.

I'd like to deploy a couple different activities at once.
One that is community based.
And one that is more casual.

As far as other things...
I actually kinda like this skin.  :lol:
But I'm always up for something new.

Ptoing:
tho as long as I feel like it I will keep the hosting and make sure this place has a home.
Please do.
Let me know when payment time comes.
I'm always happy to donate.

Mathias:
IDEA FOR NEW PIX: Make a thread just for the compiling of and the "reviewing" of good artists.
You seem to have a clear idea of what you want this be.
So if you want to kick that off and show us how its done that'd be great.
I don't think I have the power to start new sections, but I am able to sticky.

RAV:
I think this is the missing link. Pixel art has always been a joint venture of technology and art.
I don't know exactly what you have in mind but if you put something together pm me.

Cyangmou:
last feature from 2009 - how can that be? It'd basically just be good to move finished threads into there which contain great sources of information.
I actually forgot this existed and I've only looked in there a few times.
Not really sure how that works.
I should ask one of the mods.

Breakfast, Charieton, Cure:
I'm also part of TIGSource's forums, and on the Creative forum there they have a thread titled "Show us some of your pixel work!" which gets posted in every day.
See also the "casual pixel art encounters" thread. It didn't really take-off, though. Attempts to better facilitate this concept could probably be made.
"The Colored Line Art Thread" serves that purpose iirc. A better-named and more visible thread would be nice though.
I have a daily sketch blog with some other artists and it's quite nice.
A daily sketch here will be the first casual activity I try to get up.

astraldata:
One thing I've always wished is that users could post challenges themselves, instead of having to go through moderators to do it. I personally have thought of a million challenges that would have helped me and many others, but always thought that there might be a reason moderators don't post weekly challenges like they used to (be it time, motivation, or whatever), so I never thought it was a good idea to attempt to bloat their inbox with another PM due to the rising number of "u do cool art! will u ma3k my game 4 me???" kinds of private messages. So I just sat on them.
I don't really have a good reason why you can't post in the activities section.
But anyone is welcome to post an exercise/activity/challenge in the General discussion area and if it gains momentum it can be moved to the activity section.
A thread I started a long time ago before I was a mod got turned into an activity.
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=14000.0
Also don't be afraid to pm.

Zizka:
I've done an interview with Pixel Pile Driver but he has yet to answer the questions  :D
I have a terrible memory. :lol:
Remind me again next time we chat.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 11:56:38 am
Oh yeah, I'll donate too. I kind of ducked out the last time to pay and feel ashamed about it to this day. Don't worry, I'll make up to it in the next payment. If there's a person who should contribute financially to the forum, it should be me, considering how often I've used (will use) it.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 03:28:46 am
Wow, that was surprising news to return to. You've made pixelation a wonderful place to learn, Helm, thank you so much for your contributions over the years. Your attitude towards art and critique has always been one of the more influential voices in my head and is why pixelation will always hold a soft spot in my heart.

I think this is a good move for pixelation as well. I was only mod for a short time, and only for the initial purpose of secret santa at that, but any energy I put forth into anything besides moderating posts, such as working on the skin, or even trying to foster growth and participation in IRC, seemed to vanish. No amount of energy I put in resulted in any changes, and while this isn't the fault of any one person, it definitely seemed like pixelation represented an immovable force despite lower participation numbers. In retrospect I didn't try very hard at all, and I wish that I had, but I was dealing with a lot of things in my life and couldn't begin to think about an online community's wellbeing in addition to my own problems.

A few years ago st0ven and I tried to launch a forum called 2DHD for HD game artwork, as both of us saw pixel art as a dying medium, one that couldn't be expected to provide a full livelihood. Due to an ironic lack of interest and another failure on my part to push the site to completion, that site never came to be. We had really high hopes at first, but it was too much of an endeavor.

Basically, I love pixelation. I miss the critique I used to give and receive here. I miss being excited every day to check out the cool stuff being made in the art forums. But I find myself less interested in pixel art, and much more invested in other forms of computer art, such as painting and 3d.

I want pixelation to embrace new mediums, and not as an afterthought. A focus on pixels will always be a given, but HD game art and 3d are and have been the future for a while, and if the site is expected to not drop activity by 50% every couple years, I think it's very important.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 03:38:44 am
So as you might have noticed I made Atnas a mod again, because he said he wanted to be active again. GO, GO, ATNASRANGER!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 04:12:57 pm
2. Thank you notes for useful posts, as in 'x,y and z user found this post useful' to promote helpful critique
We need a way to submit particularly helpful critique/posts allowing them to get posted in and/or linked-to from a single thread when they offer excellent insight on certain topics (such as animation or color).

Theoretically these could probably be combined, with some kind of leaderboard thing (but without the competitive connotation) that shows the most thanked posts in order, along with a separate post that has something more organized. I'm guessing it would be insanity/completely impossible to get working on the technical side, though.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 01:34:37 am
Things to change:
- activate the feature chest again. to be honest off the top of my head I can't think of a thread that fits it, but I know there has to be some ( I can think of one that will get there at some point.) I really like the idea of threads that have golden critique in them being preserved forever ( can we just have a redirect with all of pixelpiledriver's critique with a bright flashing sign on it?)
- pretty much everything everybody else said.  Commercial Critiques are great. I'm proud of the little bit of traction the pokemon one got :crazy: and it seems like one user is using some of the work inside for a ROMhack after asking permission which is a great use for such things!

Things to keep the same:
- Your old man pixel cluster rambling. It's all had immediate changes in my process even if I eschew some or most of it. The line tool thing for creating line art ( sounds even more obvious said like that) is especially helpful for tracing scanned and resized artworks with minimal clean up.

edit:
shall we have a MOCKUP MONDAY?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:36:34 am by Ryumaru »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 02:44:34 am
Mockup Monday, you say?

Weekly activity, weekly routine you say?

Look at all the play PJ's weekly challenge gets. Something like that perhaps . . .

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 02:51:55 am
That would require some sort of award system. Perhaps little icon ribbons next to your name? Conceptart.org does that with character/creature/panel/environment of the week. Would be cool. Perhaps to keep in the spirit of pixelation's hardy critique the judges could give a short write up on the winning pieces saying what was done well/ what could be done better.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 03:05:53 am
I like the idea of mockup monday. Do you wanna organise it Ryu? Wanna be mod?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.