AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 243331 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Alergic to nuts?

Reply #200 on: March 11, 2007, 01:02:45 am
transitions will come when the regular tiles are ready, the things there now are but placeholders.

i like the colors you've chosen, but the thing that bothers me far more is the texture.  until i get that right, the colors make little enough difference to me tbh.  the last som shot is interesting in that it has simpler regions defined by fewer descriptors, i might try something like that......

as far as the open spaces thing, im not seeing that as an issue frankly.  i dont like wide open spaces, i like maps with just enough room to breathe and little extra, as long as the characters aren't hidden from view.  makes movement and planning more important, particularly getting your soldiers into cover or vantage points.  It also makes variations in level "shapes" far better so that you dont have the whole "lets march across the field.....again" problem.  empty spaces make for empty gameplay!  Also, visually, ive always felt that closer is better, because it shrinks the number of times you have the same tile right next to itself over and again, which i find ugly.  You example shots from SoM also are just as if not more crowded than mine, so i think im safe with the amount of space i have
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 01:14:57 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #201 on: March 11, 2007, 01:18:46 am
Sand is a very strange creature. It would be extremely difficult to get a good sandy look with just one tile, because as that tile may look sandy alone, when put in a bunch, it looks...well, like what you've got there, which, sorry, but, to be honest, doesn't look anything like sand. I think that, if you intend to keep it at just one tile, make it alot more simple so it doesn't grab the eye and force it to stare at this wierd swirly overtiled pattern you've got going on there. I think that dark brown is really hurting the tile. And then there's that wierd dotted line thing going on at the top of each tile...what's with that? That just makes the tileage even more blatant. But I would really strongly suggest that you use more that one tile. Break up the pattern, or at least expand it so it takes up like four tiles that can be arranged and rearranged. Toss some larger rocks in the mix...

Well that's just my 2 cents.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #202 on: March 11, 2007, 01:21:34 am
Sand is a very strange creature. It would be extremely difficult to get a good sandy look with just one tile, because as that tile may look sandy alone, when put in a bunch, it looks...well, like what you've got there, which, sorry, but, to be honest, doesn't look anything like sand. I think that, if you intend to keep it at just one tile, make it alot more simple so it doesn't grab the eye and force it to stare at this wierd swirly overtiled pattern you've got going on there. I think that dark brown is really hurting the tile. And then there's that wierd dotted line thing going on at the top of each tile...what's with that? That just makes the tileage even more blatant. But I would really strongly suggest that you use more that one tile. Break up the pattern, or at least expand it so it takes up like four tiles that can be arranged and rearranged. Toss some larger rocks in the mix...

Well that's just my 2 cents.

thats a good idea, and like i said, variants and transitions come once the base is finished.  as for the dotted line, thats a result of too many edits that i havent gone back and aligned.

working on a simplified version right now, will post soon.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Vale

• View Profile

Reply #203 on: March 11, 2007, 03:23:04 am
I've attempted a few sand tiles. I've noticed the blander it looks separate, the better it looks together. Also, like Xion said, a rock every once in awhile can make a big difference. Other then the sand, everything looks amazing. The two tiles for the paths do clash a little but nothing that distracting. The house is also much better looking then your last attempt at a house. It is actually very attractive.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #204 on: March 11, 2007, 10:00:21 am
That is a great improvement.

Sd3 had some good sand :

« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 10:06:15 am by Feron »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #205 on: March 11, 2007, 01:21:02 pm

This is something I made to resemble SD3 grass and make it properly tilable...

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #206 on: March 11, 2007, 02:01:19 pm
SD3 sand, silly.

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #207 on: March 11, 2007, 02:01:50 pm

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #208 on: March 11, 2007, 03:21:12 pm
This is something I made to resemble SD3 grass and make it properly tilable...

I think you need to water you're grass..

But yeah, those aren't bad desert tiles.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #209 on: March 11, 2007, 06:29:18 pm
thanks for all the help guys, particularly gil

making some attempts......

also, a link to how it (should) look fullscreen (1280 x 1024) http://xs313.xs.to/xs313/07100/Houses3.png

the rocks are mostly just testing how the palette will mix, there will be quite a few more types of rocks when all is said and done so they wont all look the same.  also there are still a lot of placeholders...just kinda ignore them if you could
A mistake is a mistake.