AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241149 times)

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Now in dire straits!!!!

Reply #180 on: December 10, 2006, 07:37:58 pm
May I just say that it may well be non-implamentable, but I edited the Paladin sprite. I gave him a cute cape too!  ;)

Newly made to comply with the dark outlines.

EDIT: Oh, and would you accept help on tiles or sprites? I love the pallete choice, and as I can emulate styles and colours but have trouble choosing effective ones of my own to use as a base, I am good on teams with established styles and palletes.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 08:40:58 pm by Delphinus »
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #181 on: December 10, 2006, 08:09:51 pm
Really, the thing that seems to work against you in these is the overtexturing on the tiles. It makes the whole thing look chaotic, which in turn makes the readability of the whole scene just that much harder. I don't think they all need to be simplified, but some that need to make up large chunks of terrain should be less detailed in order to prevent pulling the attention away from the characters. Like in the town shot, all the areas with the bricks are just pulling your eyes in too many directions at once.

I dunno, maybe just work with the level of detail on them a bit and keep it in mind for when you make new areas.

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #182 on: December 10, 2006, 09:12:20 pm
The question that immediately comes to mind when looking at it, though, is "how are your maps built?". Are you forced to build them in the way that you are now, by making "blocks" and then building your scene with those blocks? Is this a programming issue?
If you are forced to build your scene with "blocks", then how many are you limited to using per map? Are your colors limited?

The maps have to be made of "blocks" (tiles) but there are no color limitations and we can use about as many as we want per map.

Delphinus >> You edited a very very old sprite, we don't use these anymore ^^

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #183 on: December 10, 2006, 09:27:47 pm
Oops, but still, is it possible to join the team? Not to sound desperate...

EDIT: Can I see some of the newer sprites too, please.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 09:31:13 pm by Delphinus »
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #184 on: December 10, 2006, 10:11:07 pm
The maps have to be made of "blocks" (tiles) but there are no color limitations and we can use about as many as we want per map.

Okay, then - if you have no color limitations, and no limit to the number of blocks/tiles you use - the sky's the limit!

This is a super fast example, I'm heading out in 5 minutes but wanted to show you what I'm talking about.

Right now, you're thinking in terms of creating "blocks" that can then be laid out in the shape of a scene/stage. This is the wrong way to go about it - and it's what's leading to the patterned effect that Alex HW mentioned.

Instead, think in terms of creating whole buildings or scenes, and then making blocks/tiles out of them. For example!

This is some iso building that I randomly grabbed off of eBoy (www.eboy.com):

This is a rough approximation of your grid/tile size:

Now, if you make a larger piece (like that building), you can just lay your grid over it. For example, this is the eBoy building with your grid on top:

From there, you could easily make the blocks/tiles necessary to recreate that in your game. An example (gridlines on top for example only):

Does that make sense? Sorry if it's confusing at all, I'd be happy to explain what I'm saying, more clearly, later - I'm in a bit of a hurry at the moment.

Good luck!
que faire quand on a tout fait, tout lu, tout bu, tout mangé
tout donné en vrac et en détail
quand on a crié sur tous les toîts pleuré et ris dans les villes et en campagne

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #185 on: December 10, 2006, 11:41:34 pm
Akzidenz: That's bullshit. What's the point of having tiles if each one is used only once?

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #186 on: December 10, 2006, 11:59:37 pm
Akzidenz: That's bullshit. What's the point of having tiles if each one is used only once?

Hahahaha.. bullshit? Wow.  :n:

Maybe so that it doesn't look like the stage is made up of tiles?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #187 on: December 11, 2006, 12:01:37 am
i kind of get what hes saying.  At the moment adarias has made textured tiles and "randomly" ??? positioned to make a map.  

akzidenz is saying perhaps make a small scene and then divide it into tiles.  then fix it a bit so the tiles can be repeated and the map will appear more coherent.

Offline Akzidenz

• Grotesk Bold
    • View Profile

Reply #188 on: December 11, 2006, 12:03:30 am
i kind of get what hes saying.  At the moment adarias has made textured tiles and "randomly" ??? positioned to make a map. 

akzidenz is saying perhaps make a small scene and then divide it into tiles.  then fix it a bit so the tiles can be repeated and the map will appear more coherent.

This is what I'm saying, yeah.

As I said, my example was some ghetto shit that I did in order to illustrate what I was talking about. Ideally? You'd know the grid that you were working with, and you could create tiles as you built your stages with re-use and repetition in mind.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #189 on: December 11, 2006, 02:43:40 am
the problem with the tiles is that they all just look like patterns.
you have to make them LOOK like something, else everything just seems chaotic and crazy.
That's what I was thinking too.