AuthorTopic: Bunny Squad -BETA-  (Read 11849 times)

Offline Chris

• View Profile

Re: Bunny Squad -BETA-

Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 12:01:27 am
OK, thanks for the comments, i tried to adress the most inmediate things, but some are left simple for the moment (like the waves of enemies, tough thereīs a "new one introduced)

Beta 0.6

http://www.upload2.net/download2/a7nxUpIWFAN1BEm/BS+0.6.zip.html

I should say, that the game has been in development for about 3 days, thatīs why its so basic right now, so any ideas you would like to see in a shooter, fire them up.

Also, hereīs a sketch of the main char for those interested

You fire with Z by the way Razz

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 12:10:49 am
Nice moon.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 01:15:11 am
The mountain in the far BG look a little...odd.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 01:35:24 am
It would have been nice if you posted screenshots and a link to the zip. Just keep that in mind next time. And tell us about the game a bit, so we know what we are about to download.

Crits:

Graphics:
They are alright, player ship needs a tilt animation when going up and down, 5 frames would be enough, 1 up, 1 down, 1middle and 1 transition frame.
The background needs a lot spiffing up, it's just bland, but i take it you know that.

Music:
Two words: Fucking annoying.

Gameplay:
Powering up like that is a nice idea, but the leveldesign should be so that you can get way more enemies. Half of the enemies can't be killed because you are to slow.
Enemy waves are boring as hell, all in all this is too slow. Needs nice waves of enemies. Also it's not challenge whatsoever. It's very very easy and boring as well.

Needs refinement, but could turn out nice with effort.

Thats some pretty harsh shit.

I didn't play the game, but what i see is .. comfortable. Nothing to spazzy, but it just feels "stiff" to me. Also, your farthest mountains look like penis', and that moon looks crazy familiar? Krut?

Cool stuff.
@darionmccoy

Offline Chris

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 01:39:46 am
It would have been nice if you posted screenshots and a link to the zip. Just keep that in mind next time. And tell us about the game a bit, so we know what we are about to download.

Crits:

Graphics:
They are alright, player ship needs a tilt animation when going up and down, 5 frames would be enough, 1 up, 1 down, 1middle and 1 transition frame.
The background needs a lot spiffing up, it's just bland, but i take it you know that.

Music:
Two words: Fucking annoying.

Gameplay:
Powering up like that is a nice idea, but the leveldesign should be so that you can get way more enemies. Half of the enemies can't be killed because you are to slow.
Enemy waves are boring as hell, all in all this is too slow. Needs nice waves of enemies. Also it's not challenge whatsoever. It's very very easy and boring as well.

Needs refinement, but could turn out nice with effort.

Thats some pretty harsh shit.

I didn't play the game, but what i see is .. comfortable. Nothing to spazzy, but it just feels "stiff" to me. Also, your farthest mountains look like penis', and that moon looks crazy familiar? Krut?

Cool stuff.

Yeah, i felt that too, but its ok man, and yeah, its me.

-Chris

PD: the penis mountains are in your honour Pegwo

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 02:03:05 am
I love you.
@darionmccoy

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 03:31:23 am
You fire with Z by the way Razz
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. 8)

So does the level just keep going like that with no enemies after you destroy that longer ship?

I also really like the moon ... the colours on the lips are great.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 03:48:05 am
Relax, sport.  I was just explaining "the point" you didn't get earlier, I wasn't trying to ruin your day.

Think you posted that moon as part of a piece before.. it was badass then and it still is now.  The only thing that threw me off about the game was that the little powerup/xp thingies are a little ambiguous, I ran away from the first few because I thought they might be bullets. 

The music in the first beta isn't really that annoying.. sounds like the town music from castlevania 2 in a peppier key.  The music in the latest demo is much more fitting though.  Too bad the enemies run out right when the score gets intense.
typing ewith fdace

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 01:24:44 pm
I did not want to be harsh, just honest.

I play a LOT of shmups, so in that respect i know what i am talking about in terms of gameplay. And it would be nice to know what kind of gameplay you envision for this in the end. At the moment it's not even remotly challenging and a braindead monkey with no limbs could clear it just fine.

I like the updates you made in the new build. The new graphics look nice and the music is a HUGE step up.

Keep at it. If i was you i would work on the gameplay first before making tons of graphics.

Also i recognised a z-sorting bug with the clouds and the mountains, but i guess you are aware of that.

Cheers
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 04:51:33 pm
if you press forward and backward at the same time, the ship goes down. This is not good. Instead, you can do one of the following techniques that are mostly used: either when front or back is pressed, and then you press the other key, it's ignored, or you can go with the 'newest keypress overrides' mode. Both are equally fine. front+back=down doesn't work at all, though.

Since there's no enemy shooting at you at the moment, it's hard to tell if the gameplay has any merit. It's all down to how difficult it is, how difficult it feels and how much it makes you want to replay... quite the x-factor in this sort of game. When it's more finished there'll be more to say.