AuthorTopic: Bunny Squad -BETA-  (Read 11886 times)

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Re: Bunny Squad -BETA-

Reply #20 on: February 24, 2006, 05:05:45 pm
You're not that familiar with TGF, are you? I mean, the code looks great and all, but none of your animations have hotspots in decent places... like you haven't discovered the existance of them yet. With hotspots and actoin points set in proper locations, you would only need one shot type, for example, and stick-on animations would be easier to set right etc. Also, it'd be easier to use Bouncing Ball movement for the enemies.

Try it out if you haven't. Options -> Show -> Hot spot in the animation editor.

Art-wise, I have absolutely no complaints. Looks sweet. Literally. Like, sugary sweet.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: February 24, 2006, 05:08:33 pm
http://www.c64.com/detail.php?gameid=140

play this c64 game on an emulator for gameplay ideas. Seriously. It's one of the best games of the type ever.

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 24, 2006, 09:47:45 pm
It would have been nice if you posted screenshots and a link to the zip. Just keep that in mind next time. And tell us about the game a bit, so we know what we are about to download.

Crits:

Graphics:
They are alright, player ship needs a tilt animation when going up and down, 5 frames would be enough, 1 up, 1 down, 1middle and 1 transition frame.
The background needs a lot spiffing up, it's just bland, but i take it you know that.

Music:
Two words: Fucking annoying.

Gameplay:
Powering up like that is a nice idea, but the leveldesign should be so that you can get way more enemies. Half of the enemies can't be killed because you are to slow.
Enemy waves are boring as hell, all in all this is too slow. Needs nice waves of enemies. Also it's not challenge whatsoever. It's very very easy and boring as well.

Needs refinement, but could turn out nice with effort.

im not the best when it coems to being in the "know" but wouldnt a jazzy background draw attention away from the small planes ?
Nixel Art

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 24, 2006, 10:04:11 pm
as soon as i opened the thread, i knew it was you man. Chris, the krut man, I love you too.
alexander

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #24 on: February 24, 2006, 10:09:57 pm
Nice progress. I think the game looks real good and has a very cute soft-style. I'd say keep it this way, for the feel of the game.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #25 on: February 25, 2006, 12:19:32 am
im not the best when it coems to being in the "know" but wouldnt a jazzy background draw attention away from the small planes ?

It all depends on how well you balance playership, enemyship and bullets against the background.

Examplescreen from Dodonpachi. Even tho it is rather colourful you can always tell what's going on. This is the 5th level i think, hence it might look a bit hectic :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 25, 2006, 12:22:07 am
I have another small crit that I don't think was already mentioned. But the clouds seem to scroll behind the stars ... which is kinda weird.

kthx!

Offline Chris

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: February 28, 2006, 02:35:55 am
New update, added some gameplay features mostly, some GFX aswell

http://www.upload2.net/download2/99x9GOpETUWlgZV/BS+0.8.ace.html

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 06:06:25 am
much better gameplay-wise.  You've added a real challenge to it now, I like the matching ship/shot color thing.

A few issues though--if you shoot a ship with the wrong color, it seems to sometimes become indestructible after that.
Nevermind the first comment, just figured it out--if you shoot it with the wrong color, you have to shoot it with the right color additional times to undo that, definitely ups the difficulty a lot.

Also, there's a part where the green shot mysteriously turns yellow o.O  Oh, and the issue that was mentioned earlier about if you push forward and backwards at the same time it goes down is still unresolved.

Last critique before I go--the sun sprite is cool, but it doesn't have as much character as the moon does...maybe try to tweak it just a little?  Not sure exactly what would make it better, I just like the moon more...

Offline 125four

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: February 28, 2006, 05:56:23 pm
I'm probably in the minority but I liked the simple gradient background better. It gives the game a nice consistent look and feel, sort of old-school style. As for the gameplay, making it faster and having the enemies move would be good for starters (might be slow because of my POS pc, I dunno).