AuthorTopic: Fighter guy anim, first draft (just a block figure)  (Read 6286 times)

Offline Tsugumo

• View Profile
    • Bulletproof Outlaws

Re: Fighter guy anim, first draft (just a block figure)

Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 08:56:40 pm
I feel perhaps the anticipation frames are illsuited for the attack that follows, though. They seem to be anticipation for jumping up, not a front kick.

rock on, y'all...you guys must've been sitting over my shoulder when I was drawing it.  I started out wanting to make him do some jumping attack (basically what mangust's edit is, which is an awesome edit, I think that matches the duck/jump motion better) and got the duck frames done then went "shit, I don't know what I want to do with this even..." and THEN planned it out...so ya, the first half is for a jump attack but I couldn't sneak that by you guys haha  I'll try to get him to raise up a bit or change that first part of the anim to something that makes more sense with the kick.

I'm gonna' keep the flailing arms more just 'cause I like the motion/look for them even though it's impractical as far as actually fighting goes...

I was watching this:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/276650

skip to the Street Fight scene if you don't want to watch the slow plot part at the start (although it's pretty cool, I love Ryu's stage BG graphic and the menu boxes gradienty stuff, I want to do that shit in a game someday with the glowy panels and all).  It's an awesomely choreographed fight between SF3 Ryu and Scorpion from MK.  I love Ryu's anims in it, so that was the inspiration for this (if you watch my dude's leg you can see his pant leg chasing after his foot when he kicks, there's a frame where it's bunched up and then shoots down to the end of his foot, SF3 does this a TON).

Will you scale this up before you put the color and details down?

Thinkin' I will...I'm eager to do a bigass sprite instead of a little tiny one.  Been working on cel phone stuff for a while so I've had my fill of tiny sprites...even though I'd be more likely to get it done if it were smaller, haha

Welcome back, honored warrior of the pixels!

haha thanks, I don't know if I'll be around at all but I'm trying to get my ass doing a bit of side stuff.  I haven't gotten to do anything fight-game-ish lately so it's fun to see if I can still do it.

have you ever seen Otogi (or Otogi 2) for the Xbox?

I know OF it, but haven't played it.  Crazy cool style in it though, heh

I do disagree with the people who think it looks like he'd jump. The entire animation - the whole concept actually - is stylishly exaggerated. It makes perfect sense to me that one would crouch down like that if the following attack would be powerful enough to make one's entire body slide forward several feet.

This is partly what I was thinking in my head as far as why I didn't just change the duck motion at the start when I couldn't think of where to go attack-wise with it...if I made him lean forward more during the duck, that might get the best of both worlds (exaggerated build-up, plus making sense with the forward motion of the attack).

Anyway thanks for the crits!

- Tsugumo

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: February 23, 2007, 12:26:01 am
you guys must've been sitting over my shoulder

Please don't mind me. I am stalking you discreetly.

Offline Kable

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 03:24:45 am
So the question is Tsu, did you make it big in games? nose to the art grindstone... or do you clean up product images for some generic online retailer or something like that ;)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 05:36:15 am
I think that the animation will be much clearer with full detailing, it is hard to follow right now a bit.  It looks like a back-kick, but there are a few things im not sure about.....

traditionally, back kicks are executed by the rear foot, not the leading, so the entire thing takes longer, forfeigting accuracy, power, and, more importantly, speed.  Going stright in from idle with reverse footing makes the back-kick, already an obvious attack, even more obvious; its chance of success all but nothing.  The chance of taking a hit straight to the face (or, if this is tae-kwon-do, where face-hits are not allowed, a hit to the stmoach) when you through your arms out wide before the hop.

suggested solution: start in ready stance (bounceshifting weight from foot to foot).  Begin instead of a hop by switching from reversed to standard, a move which is highly ambiguous (it could be an advance, or most likely a setup for a roundhouse).  This entices the enemy to guard their front left, and if they take the bait, they will find a full-force back-kick hitting them square in the liver.  Here is a crappy animation showing top-down of what im trying to suggest:

without speed, stability, and fluidity, the kick would most likely be blocked or dodged, which is why i suggest ready stance, not idle, and changing footing instead of hopping.

the kick itself is great, although it might seem more realistic if the body was tipped to a near-horizontal level during it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.