AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318531 times)

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #600 on: August 31, 2008, 06:56:57 pm
What makes me wonder more is that this Super Blade of Awesomeness +2 that the Giant Ogre Boss(tm) uses against me vanishes after I give the final blow to it. Not that I play such games, but it's funny that you find from the corpse some dead rat meat and maybe a wooden club but not that huge weapon the boss used or even his armor and whatnot :)

It got destroyed when you SMASHED IT WITH YOUR MAUL OF BASHING +8 during the battle.

Duh.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #601 on: August 31, 2008, 09:09:41 pm
1. I hate rpgs...

2. Your answer to the trick question still leaves too many holes to the way the question was worded, Ptoing(ie, no numbers, and the question not mentioning people were in a line, which is a PIVOTAL hint in the red hat, blue hat teaser). If I remember correctly, they weren't allowed ANY sort of communication, so even if one person in the field knew the answer, how would one person magically make the others get in a line to resolve the issue? Again, question needs rewording...

Just got done reading Batman: The Dark Night Returns: Not a fan. Don't really get how this became so highly regarded back then. Wasn't too much a fan of the unfinished style drawn in the book. The story itself didn't draw me in. The 'Robin' girl coulda' been handled MUCH better to fit with the dark story. I woulda' kept her a normal girl, in normal clothes, rather, that wasn't wearing the strange robin suit the whole time. Then, in the panels, it might have been best to have shown a beaten and delirious Batman making himself believe she was Robin, with some, but not all, panels of her dressed in the robin suit, as more and more blood loss continued. But I guess this was the 80's, and fashion back then wasn't aware of how ridiculous it made itself look, especially that of comic book characters.
  Also, I understand the whole concept of how Miller was trying to make Bruce Wayne more human than superhero with his flawed nature, and mid-life crisis of boredom and restlessness. But the villains and their motives in the book obviously suffer due to this, as they have to take a back seat to the "atmosphere", rather than their own plot; 2-Face met his end fairly quickly; The Joker story line was horrible, much less ridiculous...plus the way he was drawn seemed "queer" in ALL senses of the word. The designs of the Mutants weren't too great either.
   The only interesting part of the whole story, at least for me, was when Superman made his entrance. His character seemed he'd give a much more darker story than that of Batman, as he's pretty much unstoppable, but has the problem of being seen as an unstoppable "god", so his conflictions would seem much more interesting to follow, as right and wrong can easily be decided by an action of his, but problem lays as to whom he should punish or save within the BIGGER picture of things. Much like that of Dr. Manhattan.

Also read V for Vendetta. It's written in a British setting, so the mannerism, and speech lingo confused me a bit. Evey seemed so annoying, as a character as well. Damn near the beginning of the book, V is introduced, without much ado to building up a good scene with the fingermen's attempted capture of Evey. After that, things move a bit too quickly for me. The main characters themselves aren't drawn to a point where they are distinguishable from one another, which is something that kept confusing me throughout the book(though Moore admits this fault as well, so I guess I wasn't alone...). V also dies abruptly, thus making the whole point of his "vendetta" seem kinda' vague, and more so a big let down. Not to mention his actions seemingly placed England in more Chaos than good, but then again, maybe Evey's helm of the 'V' character towards the end, leads the reader to believe she will be the one to finish fixing it, as V kept hinting throughout the book.
   Good thing is I like the art of the book and panels. Thick, dark, inked lines which resemble those of some newspaper comics. Not to mention the trippy colors, and use of yellows and pinks in such a dark story; I found that kinda' funny. Speaking of dark, the Rosemary and Derek characters were a good read for moment, and her continuing efforts after he died were pretty dark as well.
   And I may take some heat for this, but I can see how the Wachowski's would have found it difficult to work this particular story into a movie: wouldn't have made much sense to most people, and probably contracted more hate, than praise...not the mention the movie wouldn't have been that great. However, if it were to have been worked out as a television series, then maybe it would have worked for a bit.

The superhero themed stuff, I guess, just isn't for me. I've ordered The Maxx, and Four Women, and hope to have a good read. I think after that, I'll check out the book, Moby Dick, after purchasing a cd of "Ahab"s, a doom metal band, I'm a bit interested in the character, and his relationship toward the Giant whale, as I've noticed a character in a working story of mine may have some similarities with him....seriously, one day I WILL stop being lazy and type up a proper story...
my back hurts...

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #602 on: August 31, 2008, 11:11:43 pm
Ha! I get it now, so simple.... thanks Ptoing and Rosse for your diagrams!
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #603 on: September 01, 2008, 02:11:22 am
Wouldn't it also work if someone were to simply flee from a red-hatted fellow? The others would see the one guy fleeing and everyone would run from the red-hatted dudes. When the red-hats start running with the red-hats they'll run from each other and then be like - wait, if he's running from me that means I must have a red hat. Then the blue dudes wouldn't run from other blue dudes and eventually end up in a group. If a red-hat approached a group of blues, they'd all run away, indicating to the red-hat that they were, in fact, a red-hat. Eventually, from the running aways and the not-running aways, everyone would have a sense of what hat they were wearing, and group themselves accordingly.

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Reply #604 on: September 01, 2008, 04:47:22 am
I thought you guys might like to know that I've got a work-around for the Firefox 3 blurring issue.
There's an addon for Firefox called IEtab: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419
Install that and in it's options add this site and whatever other sites into it's list of pages.
This will make all of the listed sites open by default via IEtab, and the blurring issue does not happen.  it's basically opening the sites via IE's engine, but inside of Firefox.

Hope that helps some of the Firefox 3 users out there.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #605 on: September 01, 2008, 07:46:37 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbL7wpM6JR0

a shameless plug that will appeal to your current emotions.  ;D

or maybe this should go in off topic creativity thread, i don't even know there's so many boards these days... remember back in the day when there was just two and things was just simple as could be and everybody was happy?

also, is anybody else wasting contributing their internet hours to the seductive img boards and chans? i'll vote that for my main reason of not being on pixelation very much lately.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #606 on: September 01, 2008, 12:50:21 pm
http://asides-bsides.blogspot.com/

PRIVACY DEVASTATION POST

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #607 on: September 01, 2008, 01:29:51 pm
Haha, FIGHT THE FEAR!
Judging by the item on your chair I conclude you read The Guide. :D

EDIT: Just read it. Very fun and interesting read. I will come visit you in the hospital when you get your back surgery.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 01:41:14 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #608 on: September 01, 2008, 01:52:41 pm
Towels always at hand, yes. Very very useful item. Always inv0 slot for me.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #609 on: September 01, 2008, 01:56:48 pm
http://asides-bsides.blogspot.com/

PRIVACY DEVASTATION POST

I just read Conan the Librarian.
It was mildly funny at first, and I was thinking how could he possibly make a really funny finalle for this story?
And then I fell of my chair laughing.
I will now read the rest.