AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 321456 times)

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #590 on: August 31, 2008, 11:44:25 am
99% there

Hmm, tricky. You mean they have to seperate themself into two disconnected groups? Well, except from the last man, everybody knows his own hut color. It's determined by looking left and right and if you are surrounded by one color, then you have the same color. If you have just one neighbor, then your color is the same as your neighbor. The second last which joined the row is special: He's between a red and a blue, but does not know what he is. If the very last one is standing between him and the red, he's blue. If he's standing between him and the blue, he's red.
That the very last man can find out what color he has, one have to leave the row and apply the aforementioned technique (stand between red/blue). Now the last man knows what color he has (technique from second last). Now one goes to one side of the field. Since everybody knows its own hut color, either they goes to the one side or to the other... should work that way  :hehe:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #591 on: August 31, 2008, 12:28:24 pm
Rosse wins a muffin.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #592 on: August 31, 2008, 01:16:19 pm
Wow.. my head is going to explode, I can't even comprehend that answer.. is there a diagram/picture anywhere?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:42:21 pm by Frychiko »
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #593 on: August 31, 2008, 02:40:32 pm
It's really simple actually.

Once you have 2 guys there standing next to each other they are one of these 3 possibilities.

After this the next guy just either stands next to them (in case the first 2 are the same colour)

Or he goes into the middle between them (in the case they are different.)

This will always have the blues and reds seperated at one point, the only person not knowing their colours being those at the exact middle.
As soon as you have a blue or red guy both right and left next to you you know your colour.

And that is used in the very end to do the final seperation, as Rosse said.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #594 on: August 31, 2008, 03:14:03 pm
Thanks for the muffin ptoing.

I did a small explanation diagram, very fast so please forgive my sloppy handwriting:

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #595 on: August 31, 2008, 04:18:22 pm
That was a nice puzzle.

I remember having enjoyed Betrayal at Krondor's classic puzzles that had a one-word solution you had to type in in order to open treasure chests.

Like these, from BaK:

1. A barrel of rainwater weighs twenty pounds. What must you add to make it weigh fifteen?

2. Buckets, barrels, baskets, cans; What must you fill with empty hands?

3. The one who made it, didn't want it. The one who bought it, didn't need it. The one who used it, never saw it.

Answers, written in l33t and backwards:
1:531oh 2:53vo1g 3: n10fFoc 

When I played the game I still didn't have access to Internet, so it was much more fun to try to figure them out without the temptation to print out a walkthrough from the web.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #596 on: August 31, 2008, 05:03:16 pm
You know, I always wondered why no RPG I've played has put locks on chests.  You have all these treasure chests lying around, and anybody can walk right up and take what's inside.

Isn't the point of burying/hiding treasure to store it for later?

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #597 on: August 31, 2008, 05:18:26 pm
You know, I always wondered why no RPG I've played has put locks on chests.  You have all these treasure chests lying around, and anybody can walk right up and take what's inside.

Isn't the point of burying/hiding treasure to store it for later?

The people leaving chests lying around must be the same people who keep on making sure all the torches in dungeons are constantly burning and who oil the engines of thousand year old secret passage mechanisms so that they'll open smoothly when you insert the rubies in the eye sockets of a statue. The barrel makers in turn usually do a very bad job with the barrels that can be hacked into pieces instantly. I've not actually tried to turn a metal rimmed wooden barrel into splinters with a sword, but I'd imagine it takes some doing. Barrels, of course, are a natural place to store coins, daggers and chunks of meat.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #598 on: August 31, 2008, 05:31:35 pm
Also all kinds of animals carry coins with them, such as bats, spiders, rats and whatnot. Who cares as long as the game works? (Not a huge fan or RPGs myself tho)

Offline ter-o

• Elitist scum
    • View Profile

Reply #599 on: August 31, 2008, 05:54:23 pm
What makes me wonder more is that this Super Blade of Awesomeness +2 that the Giant Ogre Boss(tm) uses against me vanishes after I give the final blow to it. Not that I play such games, but it's funny that you find from the corpse some dead rat meat and maybe a wooden club but not that huge weapon the boss used or even his armor and whatnot :)
I don't know everything, I just know everything else.
Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda