AuthorTopic: Main character of my Rpg ==> Blacksmith (and now with a new female character)  (Read 16299 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Main character of my Rpg ==> Blacksmith

Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 12:45:38 pm

*slow two frame animation, be patient*

Hello. There is no color critique in my post. It's mainly about two things: anatomical correctness, and banding. Banding is an issue we've discussed on this forum a few times. If the term is unfamiliar to you you can check out a few examples here http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5556.msg66232#msg66232

It's up to you if you'd like to stick with banding, from the whole universe so far I have heard a single dissenting voice saying 'banding has its uses' so who knows, there's a person for everything, at at least.

About anatomy: Eyebrows? The nose is a bit simbolic, I have it a bit of a more realistic rendering, see if you like. Same for lips and whatnot. The neck was quite wrong I think, and generally I would suggest a lot of anatomical studies from life!

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 03:41:50 pm
sorry sharprm,  I'm can't defend my criticism because I don't even know the specific problems you have with my crit, you could explain the problems more next time...

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 02:09:30 am
Thank you very much Helm, your edit's really great.  I didn't have much time to work on this  this week, but I'll try to improve the portrait when I'll have some time.  :)

Here's a new character, and an edit of the blacksmith:

C+C?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 02:21:54 am
Thank you very much Helm, your edit's really great.  I didn't have much time to work on this  this week, but I'll try to improve the portrait when I'll have some time.  :)

C+C?

hmm, she's a bit mannish, you'll need to change more than the costume to get girl out of this.  narrower shoulders, more hourglass-y is how to start, even if this is a bit stereotypical...
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 04:26:45 am

C+C?

hmm, she's a bit mannish, you'll need to change more than the costume to get girl out of this.  narrower shoulders, more hourglass-y is how to start, even if this is a bit stereotypical...
Not really stereotypical, women anatomically have wider hips. :P I agree with the narrower shoulders too.

Helm, the perspective of your edit looks very different from the original.....

Also, Asturias, I like your original light source a lot better! But I guess that's just a personal preference.

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 03:25:31 pm
Helm, the perspective of your edit looks very different from the original.....

Also, Asturias, I like your original light source a lot better! But I guess that's just a personal preference.
Wait... I don't see how Helm changed the light source nor the perspective here...  ???

The highlights on the hair that are just parallel 45 degree lines are really bothering me here they stick out way too much and look very pixelly/grainy (especially on the female).  I'd try to smooth the highlight out somehow.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 06:48:45 pm by Ian »

Offline Asturias

• View Profile
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Better?  :'(

Edit: Here's also a ''wip'' mockup I worked on (don't bother to comment about the grass, I didn't work on it yet).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 04:01:29 am by Asturias »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
not to offer such subjective criticism, but i wouldn't want to play a game with a character that looked pissed off towards me/the camera.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife
your fellow here needs a little bit of sleep.  ;D

Try making softer outlines whit eyes, merging them more whit his face....

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer
Edit!

Hope you find this helpful! :)