AuthorTopic: Main character of my Rpg ==> Blacksmith (and now with a new female character)  (Read 16330 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Main character of my Rpg ==> Blacksmith

Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 08:59:16 pm
After posting the house this is a 3/4 perspective? I think the character is way too 'straight on' so it gives some perspective issues.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 09:58:08 pm
Froli's edit is more accomplished, bu he's gone from being something rather your own to being something more dragon warrior

Dragon warrior? Did i really went far from the original by cleaning, placing highlights and adding details? The major change that I did was cutting the eyes <including the head> down by 1 pixel since I find it awkward.  :P
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:04:13 pm by Froli »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 11:38:55 pm
Dragon warrior? Did i really went far from the original by cleaning, placing highlights and adding details?

when you switch from two relatively flat regions to nearly full modelling, yeah, i'd say its pretty far :P.

don't underestimate the power of an extra shade across such small distances!

(you also switched to that goddawful scowl that all the heroes in those games need to have - that's actually what made me think of it more than the rendering).

Don't get me wrong - it's a good edit!  just keep in mind that "small" differences can be huge for style in pixel sizes
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 02:14:41 am
Thanks to both of you, I'll take your comments in consideration to finish it. I'll post an update soon.  :y:

I've also start his portrait. It's not finish at all, and still very unpolished, but what do you think about it?

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 05:53:37 am
Hey, great character, seems kind of amiable, pixel potraits are always great.
I could offer some criticism: It seems to me that the shading could be more defined, I mean for example the shading on the shoulder armor looks vague, I had a blast doing a quick edit to show what I mean, (I did a quick note on the top right for myself to help imagine the light source)
later
..and I did a more more complete edit showing a shading approach(or lack of  :lol:) with the same palette...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 06:00:59 am by dtek »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 02:58:33 am
Hey, great character, seems kind of amiable, pixel potraits are always great.
I could offer some criticism: It seems to me that the shading could be more defined, I mean for example the shading on the shoulder armor looks vague, I had a blast doing a quick edit to show what I mean, (I did a quick note on the top right for myself to help imagine the light source)
later

but where did the nose go?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 02:58:20 pm
The portrait looks extremely feminine to me. I think it has something to with all the black you've used there. Good job otherwise.
When there is no more of art to discover, you know you're dead. And if you aren't, what the hell do you live for?

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 06:40:29 pm
The nose? who knows :D?
I always will remember a good life drawing instructor told me to draw what you see, not what you think you see, so instead of drawing an L for a nose, look deeper, if that makes sense, is the light source exactly centered pointed perpendicular to the face?

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 09:08:15 pm
It's still unfinished, but I guess it's already better... **oh, and I changed the light source too, by the way**

What do you think?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 06:15:52 am
dtek - what are you talking about? The light source is good except for the hair maybe.

Asturias - be careful not to lose the original concept when you incorporate advice and edits. The first one fitted with the previous sprite. This new one seems too tanned and doll like for my liking, but it could be because its unfinished.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi