AuthorTopic: Main character of my Rpg ==> Blacksmith (and now with a new female character)  (Read 16203 times)

Offline Asturias

• View Profile
Here is the main character of my Rpg.

Any comments or suggestions to improve it?
Thank you in advance.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 02:10:50 am by Asturias »

Offline ninjascience

• View Profile

Re: Main character of my Rpg ==> Blacksmith

Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:38:18 pm
he looks sad

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:20:09 pm
i think you've kept the color count low, which can be great, but for right now i'd say hes feeling a little jagged.  don't be afraid to buffer your transitions and smooth shapes esp. the highlights on the armor and the eyes but really everywhere.

also this is just a guess from your aesthetic, but are you from spain, portugal, or southern france?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 11:57:17 pm
Thank you for your suggestions, i'll do my best to improve it.  :)

And no, i'm from Quebec (Canada), the only french province in North America  :lol:

Edit:

Is it better now?  ::)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:32:29 am by Asturias »

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 02:54:54 am
i like it before :o
the eyes seems very big
i love hiss skin, but try to work on his metal parts
they need more contrast :)

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 03:02:45 am
I can't figure out what the dark blotches around the eyes are for. I think he should have eyebrows.

Parts of it look a little off to me, that aren't casting shadows: his hair casts no shadow on his face, his nose doesn't, his head doesn't cast much of a shadow on his neck. The armor, too.

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 09:17:11 pm
Thank you for your help tocky, i really appreciate.

Here's my update:

Is it better?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 05:02:05 am
yuck ... your first one looks so much better. Go back to that version.

Don't you think that hammer is too big to carry like that?

Here is an edit. It might help you with how to smooth the transitions for eyes. It also shows fully closed outlines (unlike yours where you only outline where there is shadows sometimes). Using outlines your way is fine, I just can't manage to do that successfully.

Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 03:10:13 pm
Well, sharprm.. why do you say he looked better in the first version?
Because of his cute looking, or because he had less colors, less contrast and such things?

Your edit is pretty nice, and I love the way you did his gautlet and his spaulder, for exemple. Also, the way you smooth the transitions seems pretty good. I'll definitly take a closer look at that.  ;D

However, I don't know if i should keep the design of the first or the last version... I agree that he's cuter in the first one, but the last one look much more mature...  ???

Could other people give me their opinions? I don't know what I should do...   :'(

PS: As for the way he's carrying his hammer... let's say he's really strong

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 03:23:46 pm
sharps version is the first to effectively address the biggest issue - smoothness.

adding colors and then using them in large swaths leads to the same issues that previous sprites had.  the closer you use colors, the smoother it will be, which can sometimes include as sharps does using a color (that gray-pink) as nothing but an edge smoother.  Color conservation is good, but pixelling a nice smooth face is better  :y:
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 05:31:38 pm
Yeah, I agree...  :D
But also, should I keep it outlined... or not? 

I'll  try to edit it tonight. I'll post it when It will be done.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 01:00:42 am
It doesn't make a difference how strong he is, he will fall over backwards. You need to pick a more appropriate pose: legs apart and hammer held at an angle so that it is closer to his head. This post might help you to understand where i am coming from:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5996.msg70637#msg70637

Why is the first one better? Hard to say. But I would suggest using that one with an added color to smooth eyes. Work on other characters to get a better feel for whether you want to outline fully or not. edit: at the same time, you might find pulling off a more mature character succesfullly requires more muscles on body etc.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 01:04:12 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 01:41:22 am
Alright, i'll read about it and i'll redo the pose (with the hammer), but first, I'll finish the character himself.   :D

Here's my edit:

I think I'll remake his gauntlet from scratch though, because i'm still not satisfied with it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 03:32:39 am by Asturias »

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 03:52:00 am
I still think the eyes are too blotchy:

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 10:06:54 pm
Well to be honest, I love the eyes the way they are..  :P

Here's my last edit (I have redone his gauntlet):

Also, here is a quick sketch of a house. I know it may seem too common, but what do you think about the concept..?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 11:27:37 pm
I agree with Tocky about the eyes - maybe use lighter green on the pixels he replaced if you want to hint at the white of eyes there.

Does he have a beard? Maybe you want to rethink the thick outline on the cheeks.

The second darkest brown on skin seems a bit too saturated.

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 01:30:41 am
I followed your suggestions (tocky and sharprm), I changed the eyes and desatured the brown a little bit. I also modified the lighting of the face.
Oh and yea, he have a beard. I wanted him to look a little more mature, so I added it.

Better?

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 12:55:03 pm
Edited the character's face and on the third image, I made the head 1 pixel shorter and added few details on his hair. btw Is that a paint or tatoo near his eyes?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:00:36 pm by Froli »

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 06:23:22 pm
Wow, thank you for your edit, it's definitly better. ;D
I'm not sure if I'll keep the head shorter, but I really love the way you highlight his face and his hair.  :)

Oh, and yea: It's supposed to be some kind of painting he have near the eyes, and on his left eye (on the right of the picture) he also have a scar, as you can see.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 08:42:42 pm
Froli's edit is more accomplished, bu he's gone from being something rather your own to being something more dragon warrior
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 08:59:16 pm
After posting the house this is a 3/4 perspective? I think the character is way too 'straight on' so it gives some perspective issues.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: March 24, 2008, 09:58:08 pm
Froli's edit is more accomplished, bu he's gone from being something rather your own to being something more dragon warrior

Dragon warrior? Did i really went far from the original by cleaning, placing highlights and adding details? The major change that I did was cutting the eyes <including the head> down by 1 pixel since I find it awkward.  :P
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:04:13 pm by Froli »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: March 24, 2008, 11:38:55 pm
Dragon warrior? Did i really went far from the original by cleaning, placing highlights and adding details?

when you switch from two relatively flat regions to nearly full modelling, yeah, i'd say its pretty far :P.

don't underestimate the power of an extra shade across such small distances!

(you also switched to that goddawful scowl that all the heroes in those games need to have - that's actually what made me think of it more than the rendering).

Don't get me wrong - it's a good edit!  just keep in mind that "small" differences can be huge for style in pixel sizes
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 02:14:41 am
Thanks to both of you, I'll take your comments in consideration to finish it. I'll post an update soon.  :y:

I've also start his portrait. It's not finish at all, and still very unpolished, but what do you think about it?

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 05:53:37 am
Hey, great character, seems kind of amiable, pixel potraits are always great.
I could offer some criticism: It seems to me that the shading could be more defined, I mean for example the shading on the shoulder armor looks vague, I had a blast doing a quick edit to show what I mean, (I did a quick note on the top right for myself to help imagine the light source)
later
..and I did a more more complete edit showing a shading approach(or lack of  :lol:) with the same palette...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 06:00:59 am by dtek »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 02:58:33 am
Hey, great character, seems kind of amiable, pixel potraits are always great.
I could offer some criticism: It seems to me that the shading could be more defined, I mean for example the shading on the shoulder armor looks vague, I had a blast doing a quick edit to show what I mean, (I did a quick note on the top right for myself to help imagine the light source)
later

but where did the nose go?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Elwin

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 02:58:20 pm
The portrait looks extremely feminine to me. I think it has something to with all the black you've used there. Good job otherwise.
When there is no more of art to discover, you know you're dead. And if you aren't, what the hell do you live for?

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 06:40:29 pm
The nose? who knows :D?
I always will remember a good life drawing instructor told me to draw what you see, not what you think you see, so instead of drawing an L for a nose, look deeper, if that makes sense, is the light source exactly centered pointed perpendicular to the face?

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 09:08:15 pm
It's still unfinished, but I guess it's already better... **oh, and I changed the light source too, by the way**

What do you think?

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: March 27, 2008, 06:15:52 am
dtek - what are you talking about? The light source is good except for the hair maybe.

Asturias - be careful not to lose the original concept when you incorporate advice and edits. The first one fitted with the previous sprite. This new one seems too tanned and doll like for my liking, but it could be because its unfinished.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #30 on: March 27, 2008, 12:45:38 pm

*slow two frame animation, be patient*

Hello. There is no color critique in my post. It's mainly about two things: anatomical correctness, and banding. Banding is an issue we've discussed on this forum a few times. If the term is unfamiliar to you you can check out a few examples here http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=5556.msg66232#msg66232

It's up to you if you'd like to stick with banding, from the whole universe so far I have heard a single dissenting voice saying 'banding has its uses' so who knows, there's a person for everything, at at least.

About anatomy: Eyebrows? The nose is a bit simbolic, I have it a bit of a more realistic rendering, see if you like. Same for lips and whatnot. The neck was quite wrong I think, and generally I would suggest a lot of anatomical studies from life!

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: March 27, 2008, 03:41:50 pm
sorry sharprm,  I'm can't defend my criticism because I don't even know the specific problems you have with my crit, you could explain the problems more next time...

Offline Asturias

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 02:09:30 am
Thank you very much Helm, your edit's really great.  I didn't have much time to work on this  this week, but I'll try to improve the portrait when I'll have some time.  :)

Here's a new character, and an edit of the blacksmith:

C+C?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 02:21:54 am
Thank you very much Helm, your edit's really great.  I didn't have much time to work on this  this week, but I'll try to improve the portrait when I'll have some time.  :)

C+C?

hmm, she's a bit mannish, you'll need to change more than the costume to get girl out of this.  narrower shoulders, more hourglass-y is how to start, even if this is a bit stereotypical...
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 04:26:45 am

C+C?

hmm, she's a bit mannish, you'll need to change more than the costume to get girl out of this.  narrower shoulders, more hourglass-y is how to start, even if this is a bit stereotypical...
Not really stereotypical, women anatomically have wider hips. :P I agree with the narrower shoulders too.

Helm, the perspective of your edit looks very different from the original.....

Also, Asturias, I like your original light source a lot better! But I guess that's just a personal preference.

Offline Ian

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 03:25:31 pm
Helm, the perspective of your edit looks very different from the original.....

Also, Asturias, I like your original light source a lot better! But I guess that's just a personal preference.
Wait... I don't see how Helm changed the light source nor the perspective here...  ???

The highlights on the hair that are just parallel 45 degree lines are really bothering me here they stick out way too much and look very pixelly/grainy (especially on the female).  I'd try to smooth the highlight out somehow.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 06:48:45 pm by Ian »

Offline Asturias

• View Profile
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Better?  :'(

Edit: Here's also a ''wip'' mockup I worked on (don't bother to comment about the grass, I didn't work on it yet).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 04:01:29 am by Asturias »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
not to offer such subjective criticism, but i wouldn't want to play a game with a character that looked pissed off towards me/the camera.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Sabata

• View Profile
    • TownsLife
your fellow here needs a little bit of sleep.  ;D

Try making softer outlines whit eyes, merging them more whit his face....

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer
Edit!

Hope you find this helpful! :)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
Edit!

Hope you find this helpful! :)

yup that's something like what i imagined  :y:

the shoulders could still come in slightly i tihnk
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Asturias

• View Profile
That's a nice edit tehwexxl0rz, thank you^^

Nobody gave any comments about the tree thought.... Is it that bad?  :-[
Some tips about it  would be nice.  :P

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps
You might want to think about the light source for the tree, and the dark leaves; otherwise it could begin to look flat in a hurry when you get to the details.  :)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.