AuthorTopic: TMNT (Ninja Turtles) RPG [WIP]  (Read 18931 times)

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

TMNT (Ninja Turtles) RPG [WIP]

on: December 17, 2007, 05:43:16 am
Hi all. Been away for a long time, and I'm sad to say that I haven't done a whole lot of pixel work. I've been making alot of texture images for 3D meshes in the past couple of months (not mine. I don't know how to make 3D meshes), and working on my own personal projects (one which may be published in the near future. So yeah, I've been busy.
Also I'm finding that making pixel art on MS Paint can get real tedious. The process is just too sllllooooowwww. >.<
I really need to get the advanced program that most pixel artists use. What was it called again? 'Promation' is it?

Anyway, here's some old stuff I've updated. Some new sprites and stuff. Constructive critiquing and opinions are always good.
This is still work in progress, so be aware of that. Enjoy!

And here's some heads I made based off of characters from an anime called Martin Mystery.

I really don't have much stuff worth showing. Just alot of unfinished sprites. lol

I have made a pixel webcomic series that's actually on a website. I would post it here, but it's rather sexual adult humor. Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:47:04 pm by Ryona »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Old TMNT RPG work with new updates (and other stuff)

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:06:14 am
Welcome back, ma'am
Cosmigo's Promotion is the program. Though I prefer GraphicsGale personally.

I have made a pixel webcomic series that's actually on a website. I would post it here, but it's rather sexual adult humor. Sorry.
Is that a problem? I don't think that's a problem here, so much as it's got like, a warning above it.

It seems like the sprites are a little low contrast, but it depends. Need to see 'em in action to judge, y'know.
There's also no up view for the henchmen? Are those just yet to be made?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 01:12:04 pm
love the chara design of your turtles, very funny.

So, I've just made an edit of one of those to do a better optimisation in colors contrast...and little correction on the anatomy.
I think that my edit speak itself.

I'm using 11 color.

and yes, cosmigo promotion is THE software.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 01:20:57 pm by MaDsk8tard »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:22:30 pm
T-U-R-T-L-E powah!!!

I love 'em. My only comment is that with the turtle's skin being so close to neutral gray it may be frustrating to draw backgrounds that these guys stand out against. MaDsk8tard's edit is a little too detailed for my taste but he did a good job of fixing the contrast issues.

And on the subject of programs, at our studio we've got a pretty even mix of Promotion and Graphics Gale affectionados. Personally I prefer Graphics Gale since it's extremely streamlined and almost every feature in the program is extremely useful. Promotion does some sweet stuff but I can't figure out how the heck to use it.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 03:16:54 pm
These are kickass!

Though the dead animation make the turtles look more like they are balancing on their toes.

I made an edit to show what I mean. The standing and dead animations are to the left and center and my edits are on the right.

Offline Hyrule_SwordsMan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:14:58 pm
awesome.
I recommend you adding at least 1 more frame of waking and make a right and left attack animation (i hate when a game has mirrored sprites lol) attacks animations looks really cool. You might add some frames to the spin attacks.
Good job!

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 02:01:46 am
Thanks for the comments, guys.  :)

I tried to fiddle with the colors and contrast while trying not to deviate too much from my design. As a result, I lowered the color count, which is great.
Your edit is really nice, MaDsk8tard. I made an attempt to play with the tones like you did, but I tried to keep mine from looking as vibrant. I prefer more of a subdued color pallet for them.

Also, I love that you pointed out the problems with the K.Oed sprites, Luzeke! I never thought of making them look more sprawled on the ground. Great idea.  :)

Sorry about the mirrored sprites, Hyrule. Practicly all of the sprites are symmetrical, so I figured why not? Oh, and there's three walk frames. The idle one is included.

Check out the updates, guys! Oh, and keep in mind that the game is viewed at 2x

Oh, and here's a few animations I had done with them some time ago...

(this walking one is pretty old, but it allows you to see the animation)

Is that a problem? I don't think that's a problem here, so much as it's got like, a warning above it.

It's nothing really special anyway. More like pixel line-art colored in with no AA. And it's a really weird sexual webcomic anyway. Funny! But weird.
If you're curious, I'll send you a link through PM if you want.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 02:03:28 am by Ryona »

Offline HTD

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 02:25:21 am
Whoa thats the coolest thing I've seen.
I know long time turtles fans would love to see a game like this be made.
I really hope to see the technodrone or turtle van/blimp sometime. :y:

Offline Ryona

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 05:45:16 am
Thank you for the compliment. ^_^

I'll definetly be making the turtle van soon enough.

Here's a little update. I've improved the colors of the characters, as you can see the comparison from the ones before and the ones after the edit.
I also started making scene areas.
There's a map of the playable areas, and I completed the jumping sprites.

Let me know what you think. Especially on the game-screen chamber.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:58:47 am by Ryona »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 06:52:39 am
Raph looks a little too thin at arms compared to other turtles.

I like the top wall of chamber. The side walls have a weird kind of curve. Also, the grey bottom stones should be an extra pixel tall, to match the top wall. Did you hand pixel that screen, or is it texture mapped in a game engine?
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi