AuthorTopic: Untitled Project dump (formerly "Four Races" thread)  (Read 15773 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery
This here's a sampling of the four different intelligent life forms in a game project I've been working on.

From left to right: Humans, who have sacred religious significance, although they are very rare; Morrolites, philosophers who live in floating cities; The Ghron, peaceful giants who live in harmony with the environment; Chimbies, a technologically advanced, industrial society built on capitalism.

Have at it... I'm not really happy with the design of the Chimbies... too Cave Story-like, and they don't really match the other species, so I think I'm gonna have to go back to the drawing board on that. Any ideas, feel free!

Update:

Update on main character: (UPDATE: now animated!)
<-- WIP
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 01:00:39 am by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: Four races

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 04:52:46 am
I think it's the human who looks out of place - out of style, perhaps out of scale compared to the others. His armor looks too clunky, especially about the legs, and the hair and face are kind of generic, stereotypical.

Did you shave a few pixels off the bottom somewhere? All the feet have gone missing.

Offline progFX

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 05:03:31 am
Hmm to make the Human fit the style, you should really give him tiny legs, big big arms, and then make the head generic, with a nose. It looks too much like a normal RPG character where the others all have a wonderful style to them.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 08:55:50 am
Great style man. Here's my advice to shading Cel shaded sprites. Notice you can put another shade as an AA. I did an edit to give an example. That's how I would shade cel shaded sprites. I know this sounds wierd, look at the example. Hope this helps.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 12:48:54 pm
Great style man. Here's my advice to shading Cel shaded sprites ... ...

Antialiasing the shading like that is hardly noticeable at 100% and if you introduce all those new colours you might as well use them in a more versatile way.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 01:00:25 am
Thanks for your responses, guys.

The feet are there, but it's subtle... my style on paper usually has very small feet. Maybe I need to make them a little bigger for this scale.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 03:52:48 am
I don't have any crits but I really like the ideas, keep up the creativity :y:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 07:51:32 am
lose the GIANT anime eyes on the ginger guy and he will fit a lot better with the others.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 08:41:00 am
I think the eyes are really nasty looking also making the main character (I assume from your previous work) human look the most incorrect of all of them.

I made some design edits and some more minor technical edits. Firstly I changed the characters eye, I also messed around with the hair colour and added another skin highlight whilst not adding any colour to the colour count. I personally find the pony tail a little ugly with the scruffy hair design. In your old design however with the more flat hair I didn't mind it as much. I really didn't get the far left characters teeth, I just changed it because I felt like it. I added another highlight to the girl and purple left guys hair to match the main character. I really like the Morrolites design, your edit really changes the character a lot I must say. Prior it gave a very nice Asian elder feel now it gives a very Greek elder feel, either is good (I like a lot  ;D) but both will have drastic ramification's on the environments that they should be placed in. I changed his lil' hairs, I did this because out of all the characters he is the only one with a light colour outside his lines, A dark extension on his outline is more acceptable and may allow him to better suit his environments. I didn't touch the Ghron. The Chimbies I really unnecessarily used his white as an extra highlight as I felt it looked a little wasted. I hope some of my minor changes and ranting helps a little, though my content seems a little limited in regards to useful information sorry.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 03:41:27 pm
GREAT to see stuff from you again, Ben   :lol:

I love the way you are doing this anime-ish style, it is a LOT cleaner than your earlier stuff, and it shows you have learnt a lot about color theory, I hope you keep showing us stuff like this  :y:. Personally, I dont see what looks bat at all about the anime eyes, you are obviously going for an anime style and the eyes work great within that, also helps separate the "holy" humans from the rest.(Love the creepy smile on Skull guy)

I think the whole problem with the feet is mostly how everything is outlined, but the feet's sole isnt. You could try playing with the shading to see if that defines em a little better.

I have to say I dont see why you didnt like the first Chimbie version(tho I havent played trough CaveStory), I find him very creepy in a cute sort of way. I went and parodied him emphasizing what I like about it to see if maybe that gives you some ideas. I wanted to make him a little disgusting and selfish looking :p

I also went and played with the shading on the Morrolite's robe a little....
PS:GOD photobucket is AAASLOOOOW today ¬_¬
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 03:53:45 pm by Conceit »