AuthorTopic: Untitled Project dump (formerly "Four Races" thread)  (Read 15836 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Four races

Reply #30 on: August 06, 2007, 08:38:01 pm
There will be some momentum to pick up/lose but because of the frantic nature of the combat, the controls have to be pretty fast and responsive. Right now there's only one transition frame between standing still and full-out sprinting - I might add more transition frames, but it also depends on how fast the character accelerates in the game, which is still subject to change.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Four races

Reply #31 on: August 07, 2007, 02:38:55 am
I figured while I'm animating, I'd do some WIPs, if less experienced pixel artists want a peek at the process, and more experienced animators can better critique my technique. (Mods if this is an inappropriate place for this I'll move it)

The program I use is Graphics Gale, and a Wacom tablet, almost exclusively. I like Graphics Gale because it has both layers and onion skinning, which are essential.

Step One: Key Frames: I approach pixel art animation pretty much the same way I would approach traditional animation. First step is making key frames - the extremities of each movement. It's rough, but it helps hammer out the movements and get the rhythm of the animation down.

Step Two: In-Betweens: After I'm happy with the key frames I go in and add frames inbetween the keyframes until the animation is smooth enough for my liking. This is where onion skinning is pretty much a godsend.

Step Three: Colors: Once I'm happy with the rough animation I create a new layer and start creating the actual graphics. The face is copied and pasted because it won't be changing much (except the hair). The rest I start with the shapes, and I'l add outlines and shading later.

Step Four: Outlines: After I've got the colored shapes in, I don't need the sketch anymore so I hide that layer. Next is outlines and details. I do the outlines first, and then will add the shading. The sword is also in there, now. This could've been sketched earlier in the process but I was stupid. :-[
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 01:15:46 pm by Ben2theEdge »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Untitled Project dump (formerly "Four Races" thread)

Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 01:02:08 am
Step Five: Shading/Details: Final phase - I add shading and then details. And voila!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 01:20:18 am
the rotated sword in the last stage has a lot of broken outlines and jaggies in it still, a final pass is needed I think.

Any person interested in pixel art animation will benefit from your above process as posted, thank you.

Offline Saxamaphone

• wut
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: August 09, 2007, 06:13:20 am
Great work on the jump animation, and even though I'm no expert, don't you think he could use a change in facial expression?