AuthorTopic: Untitled Project dump (formerly "Four Races" thread)  (Read 15835 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Four races

Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 07:12:10 pm
I dont see what looks bat at all about the anime eyes, you are obviously going for an anime style and the eyes work great within that, also helps separate the "holy" humans from the rest.(Love the creepy smile on Skull guy)
Actually, his eyes only fit with one other character, the female, whose huge eyes are okay because, well, they add to her femininity. But I don't really have a problem with the size...it's the fact that...his eyes are just crossed. I thought Zeid's edit was good.
I think the whole problem with the feet is mostly how everything is outlined, but the feet's sole isnt. You could try playing with the shading to see if that defines em a little better.
I thought this was a common practice in games. If the sole of the foot were outlined, the feet'd look too big, and it would also double up against whatever outline the ground may have, looking incredibly weird.

So far I don't like any of the Chimbies' iterations. I'd assume a capitalist society would be all about flamboyant outward display of possession. So the people would be as pimped out as possible. The void between wealthy and impoverished would be great, so they'd be either teched out working force or aristocratic teched out businessmen. When you say "industrial society" it makes me think of steampunk machinery.

The Ghron have to be my favorites, but there's something wrong with the hands. Maybe fewer fingers would be more suiting.

Conceit's edit of the Morrolite robe is spot on.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 07:51:11 pm
These guys are really fun.

Conceit did a neat job of turning the Chimbie into something else. It most definitely gives the impression that he was going for. Which is the impression you were going for. Too bad there aren't more races. They're all so lively and full of character.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 09:57:54 pm
I agree with dopple

The newer robes actually are what stick out to me.  Tried a slight edit :

Still, each of the four races looks like it was done for a different game.

Your latest chimbi is the best so far for style and design, i'd stick with it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 02:11:12 am
Adarias, the Chimbi in your edit wasn't done by the OP...
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 02:30:03 am
what's your point?  ???.  I know that one wasn't his, I only edited the bird  and didn't bother to crop.  That's why I also made a point of saying he should stick to his latest Chimbie, not the one conceit made.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 06:41:58 am
I interpreted the combination of "Most recent" and the fact that your edit contained Conceit's version as you getting posters confused.

Carry on. :blind:
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 01:21:08 pm
Thank you everyone for your feedback!

I'll post some updates soon;
I think I might try a more Victorian approach to the Chimbies and see how that looks.
I'm surprised at the controversy over the main character's eyes! Maybe I'll play with his face a little more.
I like Adarius' edit on the Morrowlites' robes - easier to read and easier to animate! ;)
Conceit - thanks man! I've been doing commercial work full-time since the start of the year, so I've neglected my personal work for a little too long. Tryin' to get back in the groove now.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 02:20:32 pm
Shrem - reread and without intonation, i sounded like a bit of an ass, opps ^^

Ben - i like the main character's eyes, it's the others' that im not so much a fan of.  Also, having mild dyslexia, I read your signature and didn't get the joke :P.  Took me about a minute to realise the orderwas changed ^^.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 05:30:15 pm
Never meant to suggest that he did exactly what I did, only playing around with things so he could see them in diferent ways.

You know how when you work on something too long it starts looking always the same? I was trying to see if maybe if I could help him break from that. I myself said my Chimbie was a parody :p.

Personally Ben, I think Adrias' toga is a little dangerous, although the shading is pretty organized and effective, those BIG BLACK spots are pretty much style-breakers..and honestly they break up the toga too much, make it look like something else. So just be wary to implement the good parts whitout going crazy about how to implement those dark spots, just leave em behind.

Something just struck me about the toga...that little string over his shoulder. it breaks the illusion, makes it look like a cheap costume toga that isnt even built like a toga

http://www.paxaugusta.net/zPhotos/200607TournageArteaugst.htm
http://www.novaroma.org/nr/Toga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunic

<-this one rules  hahaha...sorry, just had to put SF3. it's just so simple, so effective, so straight to the point and cool looking.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 06:58:39 pm by Conceit »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 09:37:24 pm
I'm just not liking the eyes.
They are much too close.