AuthorTopic: Untitled Project dump (formerly "Four Races" thread)  (Read 15847 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: Four races

Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 04:50:49 am
I'm just not liking the eyes.
They are much too close.

Quite right, sir. You deserve a firm handshake.

I also lost the ponytail, at least for now.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 06:40:39 am
 ??? how did that work so well. Good pick there Souly the cross eyed look was freaking me out for so long but that seems to fix it beautifully. The ditching of the ponytail looks good if you want to bring it back (It has always looked good in your running animations) I would say you should try some different hair designs. Top work so far. My input for the Chimbies is make them look more like gnomes from WOW, that was the first thing I thought of when you mentioned their society. A pair of goggles would be nice, either resting on the head or over the eyes. I think the clothes look pretty good, tuffs of messy hair would also help as there is little time for vanity whilst working. I made an edit trying to give him a cute look with a slight techno edge. A few stray hairs on the head would have sold this a lot better.

Oh some big leather gloves would look good also, protect the hands from some mishaps during time in the Nike factory ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 06:43:23 am by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 11:38:34 am
http://www.paxaugusta.net/zPhotos/200607TournageArteaugst.htm
http://www.novaroma.org/nr/Toga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunic

Haha, I love those wikipedia articles; they act as though the Romans invented everything :P

All of those are refering to the later toga though, which was long, worn over a tunic, and was more decoration than garment.

the toga as clothing (with just a loincloth beneath) consists of less than half of that amount of fabric an ends just above the knee and looked very different from what those articles are refering to.  Then of course there are a wide variety of toga styles, as the word has bcome associated with any mediterranean garment composed of a single uncut cloth.

The current robes can be accepted as some sort of non-toga robe (since at the very least it clearly needs to pieces of fabric, a skirt and the shoulder-wrap) and the bit over the arm only makes me think of butlers :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 04:31:44 am
Felt like doing some animation...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 04:45:19 am by Ben2theEdge »

Offline Vertigo-zero

• http://boomers.onninet.com
    • View Profile
    • Boomers

Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 03:30:51 pm
I like all of the characters, but maybe to make the last two alien characters,
the big guy and the rabbit (sorry for not reading this whole thread and therefor not
knowing their names) stand out more, give the big guy a greenish tint over his face.
Else you might think its the mutant version of the rabbit XD

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 04:47:55 pm
I had some time and thought it would be fun to mess with the Morrolite's tunic some more  :crazy:

Adrias'es Tunic reshade and two one-cloth-tunic versions I made...with long and short buttler thing :p

hahaha, I know what you mean about the butler thing adrias, current tunic thing IS kinda funny. I'm kind of disappointed to find out that even that specialized roman wiki would have the wrong "Toga" definition.

I posted the wiki stuff mostly as refference, specially on the way the tunic hangs over his shoulder, it just strikes me as amazingly fake looking the way the tunic will thin out so much like a bra's elastic on the current version.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 05:20:03 pm by Conceit »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #26 on: August 06, 2007, 01:33:01 pm
Did some more animating:
(The last frame of the skid isn't a good transition, I know... I did this late at night and just copied another frame out of laziness. Will fix soon. The sword hasn't been cleaned up because I don't know if I'm keeping the design yet)

Thanks Conceit! Yeah the tunic was done in a bit of a rush... I quickly glanced at a few references and then hammered it out. I see what you're saying about the shoulder.

I'll do some more updates on the Morrowlite and the Chimbie soon... Lately I've been inspired to animate and besides, I'm still working out the Chimbies.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 01:35:55 pm by Ben2theEdge »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: August 06, 2007, 02:23:50 pm
Hmm I think the skid should go directly to the stress frame (leg fully extended), and then the latter part of the animation where the leg retreats towards the body.

I'd have to see it in action in a mockup, but I'm pretty certain that would look best.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #28 on: August 06, 2007, 06:38:29 pm
hm...that run looks pretty..hm contrasting with the walk.

after looking at many games, I have come to a conclusion, the games that tend to look best animated simply have the actions transition from and into eachother either smoothly or in a flashy way according to how often they are triggered.

your run is pretty different from the stance, is this run executed often? it looks like it should be something that you dont go to from the stance very often, doesnt transition very smoothly from it (it looks like a fightgame run, where you have to push -> -> to run so it's ok to make a big deal out of it)

do you run often in the game?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 08:07:17 pm
I actually think it translates from idle to run pretty great, all things considered. What, there's a few pixels of displacement for the arms, but not too much. Everything else stays pretty much where it belongs. Of course INSTANT RUN SURGE is a bit silly in terms of acceleration, but that's a gameplay concern, and something players of platform games tend to disregard.