AuthorTopic: user names...  (Read 36256 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

user names...

on: December 19, 2006, 01:48:13 pm
I was just trawling through the boards here and a thought that struck me was - where the hell do these user names originate? Yeah - i know it's not at pixel topic and perhaps should reside on the Official OT thread so feel free to shift it to somewhere more appropiate...

anyway... there's some obvioius ones like kennethfejer and whatnot but I'm more interested in the likes of "Faktablad" and "Akzidenz" and "ptoing" and "helm" - for example...

mine originates back when I used to smoke - well I still kind of smoke but trying to quit - and I used to have long hair and my buddies at the time used to refer to me as chewy - cos apparently my hair was similar to han solos best co pilot... this name morphed into bacca - then became baccaman... from a bastardisation of "hey have you got any 'baccy man" - like I said... I used to smoke... and this was an often request from my peers in the pub or bandmates who didn't work and needed hand outs... eventually it just became "baccaman" and the name stuck... the 21 comes from the fact that when I orginially used this moniker (on IGN forums) there already was a baccaman (apparently) - so it changed it to baccaman21 - and I've used it ever since...

so... where do your names come from... I'm intrigued... tell me more... :)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline halu

• wtf :D
    • View Profile

Re: user names...

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 01:56:09 pm
Not that you care about mine ;p
But, I was hal0b0y83 and this one forum, because I was a n00b, and I loved halo XD
Then I was in that forum's chat room, and this guy changed his name to Neotank, and I changed mine to halotank, but I actually liked it XD
So I requested a named change, and they changed it for me, but then people started shortening it to "halo" and some people thought it was "cute" to say "halu", with a U XD
So, I thought halu also sounded pretty cool, so I stuck with it  :-*

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 02:06:33 pm
when I made my first debut on the internet, it was with the username "patricklissaman", I mustve been the only person in history to sign up at their first forum with their real name
after a few years at that forum I eventually changed to .TakaM, and I shall explain
firstly at this first forum of mine, there was another member called .FlamE, i liked the idea and combined it with:

Tupac
also
known
as
Makaveli

and I justify the period at the start by explaining it adds emphasis to the lack of a period at the end since there is a fair bit of controversy over his death etc

I also use TakaMaru at places that require more than 5 characters, this is just throwing in tupac's middle name 'Amaru', later I found out Takamaru is the name of some anime character too :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 03:28:28 pm
Helm comes from US Epic Metal band "Brocas Helm". Either that or from the Forgotten Realms, it's been more than a decade since I picked it, I can't remember.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 04:04:05 pm
Time for the old tale once again, huh? I remember last time. I remember last time so well I can inform you that Faktablad is a Swedish word that someone spontaneously looked up for use as a random username. It means fact sheet!

Rox has a pretty short story that I always make much longer because I'm good at typing too much. But by now, I've written it ten times, so I'll make it short. I used to hang on some MUDs, my characters' names began with R because my own name does. Rez, Rantex, etc. Then I wanted to play A Link to the Past on emulator one day and I wanted something fancy to type in the name field. My MUD names wouldn't do because it'd be so "out of character" for them. My old nicknames sucked because I got them when I was like 10. So I came up with Rox.

Since then, it's gone from being a character, to an internet psuedonym, back to a character, into a persona, and somewhat of a mascot, and I don't even know anymore... But now, Rox is an anthropomorphic fox that represents me, that you'll see in one form or another wherever I happen to be on the web.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 04:12:12 pm
mine username originally belonged to my younger brother  :P. I always originally called Tinley as a username because my name is Martin Bailey.. His name is Peter Bailey.. I just thought Terley sounded much nicer.

thats boss TakaM.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 04:20:50 pm
Unlike many people believe, my nick "Panda" came after people started calling me like that due to my heavy eyebags (and it just got stuck), and not my love for the black and white creatures (though I like them to a certain extent).

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 04:37:31 pm
Mine is originally from a Merman(Note the pun) from Phantom Brave.
I just decided I liked the name enough to use it as my own.

I always built up characters with superhuman stats. Sherman Gill had 26 attribute points when I made him (Cost my life savings).
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 05:39:20 pm
My nick name came from a site called The Daily Click, I was at the site,
trying to come up with a cool alias when I decided to spell it backwords, Kcilc Yliad Eht.
Then, clipped it down to Kcilc.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 05:51:56 pm
Time for the old tale once again, huh? I remember last time. I remember last time so well I can inform you that Faktablad is a Swedish word that someone spontaneously looked up for use as a random username. It means fact sheet!

You've stole FactSheet's thunder, man!

Darien is a stupid random name that I had for some online RPG.  For some reason I changed it to that from Varken, which was also a stupid random name from some online RPG.  That was Swedish for pig though, I believe.  I also found out Darien is the name of some town.  I want to change it again but I fear going through yet another name change would be too much.  I'd go with my real name, though.