AuthorTopic: water tiles  (Read 20334 times)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

water tiles

on: July 28, 2006, 12:05:15 pm
Im still working on my rpg tiles.. and Im just not happy with the water tiles:

I think I'll keep the tiles for a shallow pond or swamp etc.. but theyre not suited for anything else really.. so Ive been trying to make some other water tiles:
seiken densetsu3 inspired:

windwakerish:

at the moment, the sd3 style tiles are the only ones I like how I can use them, the other two are very restricting (WWish especially lol) but I like how the wwish ones look the best

let me get to the point, I was hoping I could get some ideas, tips, references, anything from you guys to help me out  :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Re: water tiles

Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 12:40:34 pm
All the tles are good, but For my the last tiles are the best :)

And the graphics all are very good  :o

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 01:05:53 pm
I love both of the new ones, but I think I'd have to say the first of the new tiles looks the best even though I have always liked the second style. It's simple, and it's appealing and doesn't look overly done. It will also be easier to animate smoothly, in my opinion.

On a side note, the ground tile transition from the pier to the dirt path looks a little rough, especially the bare pieces you have broken from the pier tiles. They just seem to be floating there above the dirt.

Either way, loving the look of this tileset.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 01:09:55 pm
just to clarify, youre in favour of the seiken desetsu3-ish water dusty?

I think it might fit in a bit better if I made the water's colours the same as the ones in the WWish water...

and yeah the transition between the paved tiles and rock/dirt tiles is very cheap XD
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 01:37:24 pm
just to clarify, youre in favour of the seiken desetsu3-ish water dusty?

Ya, I think the WWish ones look like it's got too much going, on, hard for me to explain.

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:45:01 pm
i love the last 2. but i feel the last one has to much going on and will divert you attention. cos if its a game. im guessing it will be animated?
Nixel Art

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 01:58:18 pm
The first ones are nothing special compared to the last 2.  Personally i think the windwakerish ones fit the style better and look awesome.  The SD-ish ones are nice, but seem a little bland compared to WW style.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 02:11:28 pm
I think the last one (windwaker style) is the best, though it has a slightly too transparent feel to it... I don't know why though :P

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 02:46:45 pm
Windwaker version seems most suitable to me, stlye-wise as well as clarity-wise. The first one is one of those confusing tiles I hate because while your playing the game, its never clear what exactly it is and you always feel as if you should be able to walk on it, know what I mean? The clarity of the last two make them the better choice for me.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 02:57:51 pm
IMHO i dont think the wind waker style suits the rest of the tileset atall. Of course, it looks pretty darn awesome, but i think the middle one works much better. The first one has a nice feel too it, but the texture underwater is too visible i think, and it looks like the actual water is textured like so, although i like the idea of being able to see to the bottom.