AuthorTopic: Another pixel art-- definately better than the first!  (Read 3408 times)

Offline araknidkid

• View Profile
I took most your guys' advice from the (First Pixel Art) topic I made, and kept them in mind as I pixelled THIS peice!

His name is Handy, he's one of my comic characters. He doesn't believe in drinking, smoking or sex. To most (if not all) of you, this guy seems like a total square. But that's just one of the traits that makes for wacky and creative humor in comics!

Ahem, that's aside the point.

I used dark colors for outlines, not black. Someone suggested to increase the contrast, and I did not do that because I wanted the shading to remain subtle, yet striking. That made no sense. n____n

HIS left hand (our right) is in a weird position. Other than that, I like how this particular peice turned out.

So, more criticism is appreciated!

yosh64

Re: Another pixel art-- definately better than the first!

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 09:18:58 am
hey

Looks to be a case of pillow shading, ultimately making it look flat, or rather poke out in a 2D manner, and not giving the illusion of its true volume. I might try and make an edit for you. I'm guessing you are very new to pixel art? as I too once had a case of pillow shading when starting out :).

cyas
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 09:20:30 am by yosh64 »

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 10:23:16 am
Besides the pillow shading, I think you should really increase the contrast in your colourpalette. Right now you've got a couple of shades which are really close to each other, and it's hardly possible to discern them at 1x, so it's a waste of colours really. Concerning the shading itself, with the dark shadows you put behind the eyes, it makes them look like they're floating above the surface of the face in combination with the black outline, and I don't know if that was your intention :) Anyway, keep it up!
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 11:00:13 am
Ha, I love that guys expression, made me smile.

anyway, the guys basically nailed what should be worked on with this piece or in the future. but your certinly improving!
heres a tut that explains what pillow shading is, http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html

And, although abit late, welcome to pixel art!

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

yosh64

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 12:12:34 pm
hey

and futher edit
Well I have finally finished my edit, took alot more time than I expected :-\. Anyhows I hope it's okay, and that you can learn something from it :). I probly didn't acheive the look you wanted, kinda looks like an apple now :-\, but that wasn't the point :).

Firstly you must really think about how light will hit the object, and this can take quite some stuffing around to get right, as our initial interpretations may be incorrect, this just takes practise.

I reduced to just 4 shades of green, and also changed the colors a tad. You could also probly remove a shade of blue.

BTW, I think I could see you put quite a bit of work into it, with all your dithering and such :), which was nice to see. I thinks if you can learn the proper ways, then your future efforts will be much better rewarded :). But yea, just keep practising!

cyas
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 01:35:45 pm by yosh64 »

Offline araknidkid

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 12:33:57 pm
Gah, your edit made me realize alot of flaws in my original version. I put the shadaows for the eyes on the wrong side xD

But thank you for all of your criticism, it's helping me get better!

Offline Laconic

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 02:21:52 pm
That edit reminds me of chocolate chip cookies

... man I wish I had some cookies right now

Perhaps a case of too much contrast?