AuthorTopic: Cavey Mockup  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Cavey Mockup

on: August 13, 2006, 10:11:59 pm

Just a mockup I made. Hopefully I can use this for a game I am working on with some fans of kingdom hearts.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Re: Cavey Mockup

Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 10:29:43 pm
looks alright.  could easily get monotnous.

yosh64

Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 09:11:42 am
hey

I think the major thing of note is the noticable pattern on the base of the cave, it seems to look more like carpet. I suggest you checkout Kazuya Mochu's Video Tutorial about platform tiles, as I think it's very nice, and I remember something being mentioned about this sorta thing.

cyas

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 03:10:32 pm
 Thanks. What I did was I used 4 variation tiles and fused them together to form 1. Then I tiled it.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 05:08:17 pm
The whole point of variation tiles is to break up monotony with random placement. You shouldn't combine 4 variation tiles into one and use that as one tile, it just doesn't work. Also, the rock tile would look better if the rocks weren't all the same size, and the edge on the right would look better if it wasn't so perfectly straight. I'd toss in another shade between the two ground colors as well.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 06:49:40 pm
try to avoid "dice" patterns on your tiles, as this tends to show the grid, not hide it.  Also, having the objects vary in size and shape as pawige said will help a ton.  your dirt tile really doesnt look like anything; id strongly advise against meaningless noise.  ive made a lot of noise tiles in the past, and it really just looks bad.  ill talk more later if i get more time to
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 07:11:08 pm
 Thanks for the help. Which one is the rock tiles? Those 5 things there are spikes, not rocks. I'm guessing what you meant by rock tiles are those circles on the edge.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 12:04:57 am
Very useful video tutorial, but someone suggested in that thread to visit videogoogle or youtube for more tuts.. Im advising you not to..

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=7146981249758818663&q=pixel+tutorial  :'( I really want to meet this kid, it took him half an hour to make this.. I know he may just be a beginner but that doesn't explain why he released a tutorial on the web..  ???

Andy you're on the right tracks but don't think of the tiles as patterns, think of them as dirt.. you have to make it look like dirt at the moment it just like this pattern repeated again and again.

Make sure it doesn't look like a pattern because in a game, yes it's too repetitive, it needs to look like dirt.. Maybe it'd help to have some references.. Funnily enough I found the perfect few to help..

Maybe having a 3rd colour may help? And brighten up the colours.. It may look too busy at 100% but this would probably be best played at like 200%. Just a suggestion ???

I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 02:01:06 am
 This help is awesome. I'll take these into consideration.