AuthorTopic: [C+C]Some small sprites  (Read 17925 times)

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C]Roguelite mock-up fest :I

Reply #40 on: July 08, 2014, 01:42:09 pm
Good good. Keep at it!

If i were you I'd keep a close eye on this thread for help with the knight.
Maybe offer an edit or two of your own just to practice. I find you learn a lot from helping others.
The problem is that I really don't kno what to change on that guy, but you're probably right, I should try that. Maybe I'll get to it one time :)

Oh, also about the HUD - you may want to keep it really simple (no extra lines). I suspect you will have space problems and that you won't be wanting extra distraction.
You can revisit your HUD near the end when you know exactly what information you're going to need and we can work on it then.

Btw, 9_6 posted this video about making characters in your own style if you're still worried about being too similar to Crawl.
Hmmm... This sounds like a good idea :D
The basic idea is that you do a bunch of references (in this case of knights) and then try to come up with your own ideas from memory.
I think this piece is done(maybe I'll add some weapons, but I don't know yet), but next time I'll definetly try that, thanks :)

After thinking a lot, I've decided that I'm still not too happy with the artstyle, so I finished this piece
with some lighting and shadows and I'll continue making more mockups in different styles 'till I find something I'm really happy with. this is the final thing:
with HUD:

without HUD:

There is probably something wrong twith the lighting and lighteffects, so any critique on that(and the other parts of the mockup) is appreciated :D.
Thanks for your help :)

Next mockup will come soon ^^

Edit:

Got the main character done(which will get randomized hair, again :P)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:58:56 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C]Some small sprites

Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 03:41:11 pm
You and dat randomised hair... haha.

So I went ahead (punny) and changed a few things:

Went for a more oblong head as a compromise between the previous guy and the round headed guy.
Moved his arm in because it kinda looked weird? Iunno.
Less noise on his scarf! It's cool you can add stripes to his scarf, but it's not always noticeable and animating that is gonna suck, so rather go with a plain scarf. Still looks good I think.

Looking forward to mockups.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 01:00:36 pm
You and dat randomised hair... haha.

So I went ahead (punny) and changed a few things:

Went for a more oblong head as a compromise between the previous guy and the round headed guy.
Hehe, looks funny :). Still gonna keep it kinda round, because I think it looks a little bit better(did change the shape a tiny bit)
Moved his arm in because it kinda looked weird? Iunno.
You were definetly right on this. changed it
Less noise on his scarf! It's cool you can add stripes to his scarf, but it's not always noticeable and animating that is gonna suck, so rather go with a plain scarf. Still looks good I think.
Still looks good indeed. didn't think about animating yet so I kinda did not realise that when I made it. Now it has less noise though
Looking forward to mockups.

So I made a small hud with 3 stats(damage,defense and runspeed) nad a small mockup. Still don't know what to do for props and background, but I can figure something outwith the props(background I'm not so sure of D:). This was also my first try on making a larger portrait and I think it worked out pretty well :). Looking forward to any replies :D

Edit:

added some paladin knight thingy :)

Edit 2:

I played some with the background and the walls, although I might tweak the walls a little bit

Edit 3:

getting closer to the style I want. Don't really know what to do with the bricks though. I kinda want some visible brick thingies on the edges but don't know how D:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:22:10 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 10:38:16 am
Alrighty, back from a week of vacation and ready to pixel  :lol:

Anyways, when I got back I decided to try and go a little bit bigger with my sprites and made this(you can see the progress):

There's probably something wrong with the leg shading, but I am quite happy with the result of half an hour of pixelling or so :).

Also, I made this a week ago(some small sketchy practice thingies):

Used the dawnbringer 16 color palette here

Edit:

Edit 2:
took a small step back since I didnt really like the shiny eyes. Also Removed all the standard black and redid the legs a bit :

Edit 3:
Moar edits :I

Edit 4:
The whole thing again with some modifications to the arms(the last two images)
Don't know which looks better though(I guess the most right one):

Edit 5:
Thanks to Arachne the stiffness is way less to none :D(you really helped me out there ^^):

Also started working on a mock-up. The far away Island looks pretty bad though:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:18:39 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 07:28:06 pm

Did something a bit out of my comfort zone :). Pretty proud of it ^^