AuthorTopic: [C+C]Some small sprites  (Read 17887 times)

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C]Some small sprites

Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 06:51:46 pm
Heads in all versions are too distorted (especially last two because left eye is more left than his shoulder), at this resolution every pixel is more than important. Here is more serious version.

Alrighty, This is what I came up with. Also, I gave one version a green scarf c:

although I don't want to make him too cute, because there wioll also be some pretty dark sides to the game(killing your co-op partners to open the doors of hell and such  :lol: ).
If anything, cuteness makes the darkness even darker. It's basically about setting an assumption and then pulling the carpet from under your feet.
Of course, if you don't want to startle the player with the darkness, then need some foreshadowing of things to come.

I think the very first sprite was so liked because of the tiny eyes on a big blocky head. (however, it also calls to mind Fez... though there are only so many ways to do a mouthless noseless simplistic sprite... character.

Of the newest set, I think I like the third from the left maybe. Removing outlines entirely limits the type of backgrounds your character can be in front of, as the skin color merges with a light sky color.
That's actually some really true and good advice about the darkness, I'll probably still make him cute after what yo've just said :).

About the first one, you're probably right about that. My intentions were t give him a kind of derp face, but as time progressed, I started to dislike the black outlines more and more, so I tried something entirely different. And then I repeated that process but with the second sprite :).

Btw, this is probably my template for the classes, so I'm still trying to keep him simple without too much laserbeams and explosions

And  about the outlines, there will only be sunlight/sky in the first two levels. after that you're inside the keep, But I'll certainly have to keep that in mind when making the sky. thank you :)

edit:

so i've tried something with the grass tileset+slime
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:18:54 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 07:53:12 pm
It's kind of hard to judge the merits of these tiles and characters without seeing them in a proper setting and seeing the complete environment. But right now, I think it's a bit weird how the rock / mud has a dark shadow on both vertical sides and on the horizontal side.  The slime looks a bit more like a rubber ball than slime, since it's not sticking to the grass, but I guess you could make it more slimey when you get to the animation :)

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 06:01:08 pm
Hi there  ;D,

Sorry for not replying for a while, I was(and still am) busy participating in a contest, and didn't have a lot of time/motivation in general :/. My apologies

It's kind of hard to judge the merits of these tiles and characters without seeing them in a proper setting and seeing the complete environment. But right now, I think it's a bit weird how the rock / mud has a dark shadow on both vertical sides and on the horizontal side.  The slime looks a bit more like a rubber ball than slime, since it's not sticking to the grass, but I guess you could make it more slimey when you get to the animation :)
You're definetly about the siderockshadingthingymajigger, I'll change that. I am also planning to make the animation of the slime a lot more slimey, but when I made it I didn't really think of him sticking to the ground. I'll change that as wel :).

Also, I tried to do some human anatomy. This is my first time pixelling this so it's probably not that great :D. The pallette you see next to the guy is Dawnbringers palette(got it from here:-warp to another site 'n stuff-)

I'd love some feedback and I'll probably edit this post with a mock-up(when I have some time)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:41:21 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 06:48:33 pm

think of what makes your girlfriend beautiful.
It's her long legs.
Even if your girlfriend is heavy, her legs are still long.

men usually have longer legs than women (women usually just have helpful shoes...)

What I did is about the minimal leg length, in order to make it look ok.
Try to play around with different torso arm and leg legths.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 07:02:46 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 07:25:28 pm
snipsnipsnip
Thanks ;D. This really helped out a lot(also with some things I wasn't really sure of how to do like the legs). I now have this:

After this I think I'll try to make a man :)

Edit:

Edit 2:

Decided to go for a dungeon type of look. Still need to make props though

Edit 3:

the question mark is just a placeholder. Kind of making the item pedestals a bit like in Boi(and the fire is also a placeholder). The green guy is probably gonna be an useless pet that follows you around :). Above the squid guy is a wisp btw(or it could be the beginning of an magic animation thingy, I don't know yet).

Edit 4:

filled it some more :). The thing with the empty parts is the inventory that I didn't refill with the background colour and the fox is just a random thingy that doesn't really fit in with the rest, but I just made it c:

Edit 5:

Kind of runnin' out of ideas for the moment :/. Just made a walking pot guy and something that has been living inside of two pots. Also made an item(a hood),but I don't know what it'll do yet.
Also, a piggeh c:.

Still need to fill the background, but really don't know how D:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 07:43:35 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 05:53:43 pm
Whew, waiting 'till your tpic gets to the second page sure can take a long time :').

Anyway, Since I ran out of ideas for the other sprite sheet/mockup kinda thingy I started designing something else. I only made the main character so far(which will get some randomized stuff like hair, jacket and other stuff like that later),but I'm not sure what you guys think of it and if it's any good. I tried some kind of brighter but still mysterious style(which you can't really see yet since it's only one guy) that's a little bit out of my comfort zone and a little bit bigger.

Enough talking, here he is:

Some critique on the other sprites are appreciated as well, but I dpn't think I'll be using them in the close future.

I actually made a lot of progress whilst being on this site(a few months earlier I was still in the "Blocks with faces are perfect characters-phase"), Thanks ^^

*Flies away majestically*

P.S. He isn't that taller than the other guys, It's just that it's not my usual way of making people :)

Edit:
Also made a sideview, but it didn't exactly work out as I wanted. It looks okey, but I think it could look better, just don't know how :c
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:14:04 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 08:00:03 pm
Hi there,

See you added some nice stuff in Edit 4. I like the whole mockup really, and would be interested in seeing it with a background. You should probably get to practicing making backgrounds, 'eh?

Nice little guy. I actually prefer the side view, but I think we need more context before we can offer substantial advice. What's the view like? Slightly top down? What kind of colour scheme?
Make another mock up would you - I'm eager to see more stuff!

You definitely have potential.  :y:
* may contain misinformation

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 07:28:41 pm
Hi there,

See you added some nice stuff in Edit 4. I like the whole mockup really, and would be interested in seeing it with a background. You should probably get to practicing making backgrounds, 'eh?

Nice little guy. I actually prefer the side view, but I think we need more context before we can offer substantial advice. What's the view like? Slightly top down? What kind of colour scheme?
Make another mock up would you - I'm eager to see more stuff!

You definitely have potential.  :y:
Thanks for your reaction :). The problem with the first mockup is, I have no idea where to start D:, But I'll try something in the future(don't know when). About the second guy, I want the view to be kinda like in Crawl, but not that kind of atmosphere(I want it to be a little mysterious, but also a vibrant world that screams out "ADVENTUUUUREEEEE"). The mockup I have now is far from what I have in mind, but I just don't know how to reacht that point, so maybe you guys could help me :):

I know it looks pretty bad(I am awful at tiling D:), But yeah... I just kinda told you :').

The guy in this screen has a basic sword(that I'll probably mess around with a little bit) and has a harcut which will be randomized every game(including colour).

Anyways, I hope you can help me ^^

Edit:

I made some difefrent weapon types :). I'm planning to make more though

Edit 2:

two basic slash animations in a follow-up. For some odd reason it misses some parts, but that's the converter I used. You also can't see the sword on the white background this site uses .

Edit 3:

The hud that is always present. Wil change the font

Edit 4:

8 directions of looking at the player. Just don't know if I'll add them all(could be possible that I just stay with 4 or even 2 directions), But I'd like your advice on it :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 02:55:59 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 04:10:22 pm
Really cool stuff man!

Before we go any further let's just talk about a few things.
You are going with a style that is very minimalistic. This means you need to make things iconic. For example, your faces are a blank colour with a big, bright red nose on it. That's all you're using to define that this is a human's face (and some hair). You'll need to use this kind of iconography throughout your game for consistency and because you have such a limited amount of space to work with.
You also won't have space for outlines and other things we sometimes use to highlight certain points of focus, for this reason you're going to have to rely heavily on your contrast and saturation to show the player what he/she should be focusing on.

Here's an edit to show a few of these things next to yours for comparison:

Iconography - I made the hearts one solid colour and added saturation to them. Your life is important in games like this and the player needs to be able to see them quickly and clearly.
Saturation - Your HUD outlines don't need to stand out, just be there, so less saturation. Your backgrounds must not distract from the characters/spells/weapons/enemies going on, so we desaturate it. You'll notice this makes your character really pop off the screen. I added more saturation to some of the parts of your character as well to really make his stand out.
Contrast - You haven't made your textures properly yet, but for when you do make sure there is low contrast on things that aren't actually important. Here I added a simple, small pattern to the back wall. You can tell they're bricks, and there is some variation, but no one is going to become confused or distracted by it. Same with the small rocks on the floor. All low contrast, few colours so that the player doesn't see it. Hue changes work best for defining things when you have very little contrast/saturation to work with; which is why those stones are noticeable (compared to the bricks in the wall), but still don't distract.
I also removed pure greys from your palette - no one likes pure greys. Just make them slightly blue or yellow or something; it's just more interesting to the eye like that.

All these changes are made for readability and will greatly improve your final experience playing the game (and will help you make sure the player is always aware of what you want them to be aware of.
This is of course all assuming it's a game where you need to be able to discern things quickly.

EDIT:
Before you think this is the only way to do things (I realise I didn't actually say this, but the changes I made are simply a suggestion of how you could achieve clarity), I actually just spied a new piece of pixel art from PixelJoint that uses minimalistic style, but has lots of saturation and still has easily distinguishable characters.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 04:22:40 pm by Ambivorous »
* may contain misinformation

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 04:18:42 pm
Wow, I really like what you did ^^. Currently don't have time to edit (and can't, this is typed on my phone), but I'll definetly take your advice. Those grays were just some placeholder colours that I didn't change bacause I am lazy (ehich isn't too good in pixelart :')). The bad thing about advice in minimalistic pixelart is that it'll be hard to make mine very different from yours, so my apologies if it looks like a copy D: