AuthorTopic: [C+C]Some small sprites  (Read 17899 times)

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C]Some small sprites

Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 04:41:12 pm
Yeah sure, you're welcome.

What you can do is carry on pixelling as you would before you read what I said, and as a final step you can just tweak the colours as needed to increase readability.
That is basically what I did, and it really didn't take me long, so that's always an idea.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: July 05, 2014, 08:04:19 pm

after folowing your advice I anded up with this. I think I'll make some props now. These markings on the wall will be randomly drawn on the wall(It's gonna be prcodurally generated)

:)

Offline Ambivorous

• ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 08:25:16 pm
Looks good! I like the new hues. Makes your little guy stick out very well.

Only thing I feel is that you shouldn't have that much stuff on the wall or floor.
You just want to be reminding the player that it's a wall occasionally - you don't actually want them looking at your walls for details (unless you do want them to for whatever reason). You also don't want your floor markings to be in any way similar to the wall markings. That way the player knows immediately what's a wall and what's a floor.

This also means you don't need as much variation; just a few visually distinctive cues.
Few rocks here and there, maybe an empty can or some other pollution that would be on the floor and a couple of bricks on the wall, maybe the occasional pipe sticking out.

Anyways, looking forward to some props!

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 05, 2014, 08:32:38 pm
hmmm, you're definetly right about the walls and floor, But those are probably gonna be the only markings, but in less amounts when it gets randomizes, so I'm gonna leave that the same in this mockup(that way I already have all the variations I need). I actually made this guy first:
, but he really needs some drastic changes. Tried to make him some kinda buffed black knight dude. Didn't really work out :').

About adding pipes and such, I don't really know if it fits in with the theme(kinda catacomby dungeons undera fantasy castle), But I might try it :).

owh btw, here is the mockup with some things erased on the floor. Now just some cracks and rocks are left.

Edit 1:

Made a tombthingy,a bottomless pit and a slime :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:49:29 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 11:17:47 pm
Not bad at all. The bottom of your slime's colors probably should be inverted (i.e. shadow color on bottom and bottom color as highlight on top) since it doesn't read too well as a slime right now due to those colors. At first, I thought it might be a sleeping bag or wad of dirty clothes but couldn't figure it out due to that bright color on the bottom of the slime. You also might want to add a little more contrast to the transition color between the light green and the dark green on your slime so it matches the style of your other stuff, otherwise that color 'transition' serves no purpose due to it almost being invisible at first glance.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #35 on: July 06, 2014, 12:53:51 am
Current design reminds me a lot to Crawl game, which is not very good for you if you want to create this, cause people will think that it's just a ripoff even if it isn't (hope it isn't  ;D). So you should try to add some personal touch. I like overall look of main character, but as I said at this low resolution similarities are inevitable, so try to add something unique.

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: July 06, 2014, 10:09:35 am
Not bad at all. The bottom of your slime's colors probably should be inverted (i.e. shadow color on bottom and bottom color as highlight on top) since it doesn't read too well as a slime right now due to those colors. At first, I thought it might be a sleeping bag or wad of dirty clothes but couldn't figure it out due to that bright color on the bottom of the slime. You also might want to add a little more contrast to the transition color between the light green and the dark green on your slime so it matches the style of your other stuff, otherwise that color 'transition' serves no purpose due to it almost being invisible at first glance.
did what you said and now I have this:

Removed the transition color and messed a little bit with the brightest highlight and the slime indeed does look better :)

snipsnipsnip
I couldn't agree more on what you said in your post. I myself have noticed that my character indeed has some similarities with the guy from crawl, but I don't know how to make the guy more unique(everything I tried turned out to be very ugly). Gameplay-wise, I have a lot of ideas that differ from crawl(mainly adding a lot of sneaking in the game and some other thingies) , But I am really scared as well that it just might turn out to feel like a cheap Crawl rip-off, so I'm not really sure if I should make a game out of this or just finish the mock-up :/. If I don't make a game out of this I think I'll just make another mock-up for a roguelite :P(I am really obsessed with making one  ::))

Edit:
Well, I finally got a more Original idea for a roguelite that I'm happy with, and made a mock-up:
with HUD:

and without HUD:

The minotaur and goat guy will probably need some kind of indication that they have hair/fur and the metal chains on the chandelier need some better shading as well. after this mock-up is done I think I'll make the starting screen or weapons :).

Btw, Still didn't change the player, but I'm happy with how he is, even if he may remind you of the guy from Crawl :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:23:02 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline Ambivorous

• ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 06:57:58 pm
I really like the new look!
Especially those enemies! Good amount of cracks and the torches are a nice addition.

Few things (quick edit):

I made the whole scene darker of course, and added light from the torches. Not necessarily a thing you should do, but I figured I'd pass on the idea.
You'll notice I also made the cracks on the floor lighter than the surrounding colour, I feel this will help the player tell which surfaces are floors and walls more quickly.
Reduced the saturation on your chandelier heavily because it is just there to be pretty right? If it is interact-with-able then I would still have desaturated it, but increased the contrast (started the chain out black and had sharp immediate highlights around the light) to make it stand out. Hue does work to make things stand out, but if you're going to go down that road you need to start applying that to all your pieces (which could be cool, so maybe give it a try) for consistency.

I was actually going to bring up the perspective thing the next time I posted (with the slime looking so flat in a 2.5D world), but since you've changed to side-scroller that's no longer relevant!
You did well on the slime edit though. Also your black knight is cool, I want to see him in this game!

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 08:07:59 pm
-snipsnipsnip-
I made the whole scene darker of course, and added light from the torches. Not necessarily a thing you should do, but I figured I'd pass on the idea.
The darker looked pretty cool, so I figured I mdae it somewhat darker. I will definetly add light around the torch, but that will be done via some programming instead of immediatly on the sprite
You'll notice I also made the cracks on the floor lighter than the surrounding colour, I feel this will help the player tell which surfaces are floors and walls more quickly.
That's actually a pretty good idea. Didn't add that , but I have no idea why I didn't add that xd
Reduced the saturation on your chandelier heavily because it is just there to be pretty right? If it is interact-with-able then I would still have desaturated it, but increased the contrast (started the chain out black and had sharp immediate highlights around the light) to make it stand out. Hue does work to make things stand out, but if you're going to go down that road you need to start applying that to all your pieces (which could be cool, so maybe give it a try) for consistency.
I decreased the saturation as well, and you're right. It does make it look better :D. I don't really understand what I would have to change in my other pieces, I'm probably interpreting what you say the wrong way :').

I was actually going to bring up the perspective thing the next time I posted (with the slime looking so flat in a 2.5D world), but since you've changed to side-scroller that's no longer relevant!
You did well on the slime edit though. Also your black knight is cool, I want to see him in this game!
Consider it done :)(need some more advice on him though)

That tiny blade isn't going to help you... c:

Offline Ambivorous

• ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 08:34:43 pm
Good good. Keep at it!

If i were you I'd keep a close eye on this thread for help with the knight.
Maybe offer an edit or two of your own just to practice. I find you learn a lot from helping others.

Oh, also about the HUD - you may want to keep it really simple (no extra lines). I suspect you will have space problems and that you won't be wanting extra distraction.
You can revisit your HUD near the end when you know exactly what information you're going to need and we can work on it then.

Btw, 9_6 posted this video about making characters in your own style if you're still worried about being too similar to Crawl.
The basic idea is that you do a bunch of references (in this case of knights) and then try to come up with your own ideas from memory.