AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 243945 times)

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile
The thing that kinda stands out to me is how plain the whole thing seems to look outfit wise. I think it needs a little more flare personally. Mainly in the front stances, the backs look really nice, but then you get to the front and it just looks like another one of the mercenaries you've posted. If he's supposed to be the hero, make him stand out a little more. Don't ask me how to do such a thing, but I think this character would benefit from such a thing.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
I agree with conceit, some kind of emblem on his chest would be good. Maybe a necklace or a ribbon or something, that you can just notice when you're looking at your characters and know that that one is the main dood. I don't really have any more input than that unfortunately, but i'm sure you'll come up with somethin. Good luck  :y:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
A necklace or something I can do, but I'm really at a loss for what else to try.

This pose is the frame off which all others will be based; it's just a base.  Body language will find its way into him, but not at this early stage.

Within the realm of what a warrior in this fake time and place might wear,

The trouble I am having is that this character is supposed to essentially be the player, so he stands for whatever the player wants him to stand for.

As far as the update, I can't help but feel that i've taken one step back without ever going forward :
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class
Damnit you got in just before me with an update the point i was going to make was that the front leg looked like he was wearing a different boot then the back in both forward facing views but you fixed it. So you certainly haven't "taken one step back without ever going forward". In fact the colour of the legging/tunic increases readability though I did like the gritty look of a mesh/metal to the legging as was implied prior the update. The gloves removal makes me sad :( as hefty gloves look cool, but thats just my opinion. Unfortunately your update quashed the majority of my critique. Though the gold band on the furthest leg when facing forward looks too bright to me. I had noticed that the light seems to be striking between his legs a tad too much, in part responsible for the different boot look I mentioned earlier. I hope you can take something from my ridiculous rant. :)
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
opinion nothing, i liked the gloves too :p

happier medium?

Also, this is not the only outfit the character will wear.  He begins by wearing plain clothes and then a simple sailor's outfit, and it isn't until the second of four chapters that he dresses this way (pretending to be of nobility to proceed with the story).  During the third and fourth chapters too his outfit will change as will that of a few other characters to represent his changing station (poor kid - poor sailor - poor kid pretending to be a noble - promoted within chosen faction - total badass)
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile
opinion nothing, i liked the gloves too :p

This one. This makes him look more like he's faking noble. The added little flap of colour just emphasizes that MUCH better in the front stances in my opinion. I can't wait to see his other outfits. Beggar/Poor kid should be cool.

Also, I must say this is easily THE most anticipated project I've ever watched be developed. I just love tactics games, and this is no exception.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 05:18:57 pm by AlienQuark »

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Costume party

Reply #306 on: July 26, 2007, 09:33:42 pm

He ist PROUD!
Being that he's the main character, he should be proud and courageous, no? Right now he looks rather apathetic.

Also, an advantage to this is that it adds character, with just one frame of animation.

ALSO: Keep the gloves.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 09:36:21 pm by Sherman Gill »
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #307 on: July 26, 2007, 10:46:11 pm
Meh, i think he looks focussed enough atm, I'm not a fan of overly proud characters (it is a sin after all) and I'm not really good enough to know how to put confidence into a character without making him obnoxious (if i pick up the shoulders and bend the arms he just looks like a jerk instead of a hero). Characters like Ash from vandal hearts just annoy me to no end.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #308 on: July 27, 2007, 03:26:06 am
Another problem with making him look too proud is that when it comes to a serious plot issue or a character death he is going to look a little smug with his hands resting on his hips as oppose to emoting what he should. Given the hero is going to be present throughout the game, unless you plan on adding a few emotion stances for cut scenes I would go for an apathetic look and do all the emotions in the characters speaking portrait. I'm a fan of the gloved one also :P.
I made a little edit, the back foot still seems a little off to me, from all angles except forward both toe caps seem rounded but in the forward facing frames his back foot looks like it has a very pointed tip. You seem to have covered most of the lighting issues that were bugging me with his back leg though.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 06:35:14 am by zeid »
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #309 on: July 27, 2007, 03:55:18 am
ah, thanks for point out that foot thing, i had not noticed but man it was ugly :P

tiny update, here is a possible "roarc" that the player might choose (if they like blond guys with wicked bangs wearing green)  Placeholder rear-facing hair is not actually for the same headtype :\

Also, some other characters that I am testing out.  So far a major problem I can see is that the second lord knight's (purple cloak) head does not fit, that will be fixed soon enough...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 04:45:04 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.