AuthorTopic: Tactics Character WIP  (Read 26505 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Tactics Character WIP

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2006, 06:24:54 pm
I think you may have overdone the blackish lines on the boots. I'm guessing they're metallic by the looks of them though, if thats the case there should be a thick contrast in shadows (for objects this tiny), right now the black just looks like an unblended outline. If this doesnt make sense I could do an edit. Other than its very well made, the sprite roates well and has a cute outfit.
Well they arent actually metalic, just intended to look a little polished and cleaner than normal boots.  Could you perhaps do an edit, or jsut explain a bit more as to what you think is wrong?  Ive messed with them enough times that im worried ill overwork the piece if i mess with them again.

Also what is this for? Practice/fun? Or do you just like torturing poor sprites by stripping them of their hair?
This character is mostly for-fun, or perhaps a future project, but it is going to serve as a reference for the graphics for a game im working on (ive never been happy with the graphics ive done for that roject so this is the 3rd incarnation of the characters)

BTW kenneth and happip all post here as well ^_^... wish they would post more often though =*(.
I didnt realise that they were here, but what i ment in my post before was that the style reminded me of those artists' works, that is, it reminds me of the works they've posted on pixeljoint, which i know doesnt have a complete collection of any artist's works.  Im full aware that most of you know who they are and that they are elsewhere :P

Ok, so i know the boots have yet to be done properly, but until they are, heres the begining of the southeast (and, since the forms are symmetric, also i suppose the southwest) walking frames. 
Note: Only the 4 diagonals will have walking and r1 attack frames, because its an iso grid.  anything r2+ (magic, speaking, achery) will be in all 8 directions

again, fi people see any botched bits, plesae let me know
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 07:45:02 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

instant

Reply #21 on: April 17, 2006, 09:17:01 pm
I think you may have overdone the blackish lines on the boots. I'm guessing they're metallic by the looks of them though, if thats the case there should be a thick contrast in shadows (for objects this tiny), right now the black just looks like an unblended outline. If this doesnt make sense I could do an edit. Other than its very well made, the sprite roates well and has a cute outfit.
Well they arent actually metalic, just intended to look a little polished and cleaner than normal boots.  Could you perhaps do an edit, or jsut explain a bit more as to what you think is wrong?  Ive messed with them enough times that im worried ill overwork the piece if i mess with them again.

Also what is this for? Practice/fun? Or do you just like torturing poor sprites by stripping them of their hair?
This character is mostly for-fun, or perhaps a future project, but it is going to serve as a reference for the graphics for a game im working on (ive never been happy with the graphics ive done for that roject so this is the 3rd incarnation of the characters)

BTW kenneth and happip all post here as well ^_^... wish they would post more often though =*(.
I didnt realise that they were here, but what i ment in my post before was that the style reminded me of those artists' works, that is, it reminds me of the works they've posted on pixeljoint, which i know doesnt have a complete collection of any artist's works.  Im full aware that most of you know who they are and that they are elsewhere :P

Ok, so i know the boots have yet to be done properly, but until they are, heres the begining of the southeast (and, since the forms are symmetric, also i suppose the southwest) walking frames. 
Note: Only the 4 diagonals will have walking and r1 attack frames, because its an iso grid.  anything r2+ (magic, speaking, achery) will be in all 8 directions

again, fi people see any botched bits, plesae let me know

Lovely. I wish you had a tutorial up regarding your animation. Its not perfect but it would help a lot of beginners in the animation aspect of pixel art.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 10:10:19 pm
@Adarias: Heres a quick edit of a few frames (follow the red arrow) I was just cleaning up the shoe so its easier to distinguish. After doing the edit I realized that two more AA tones (one for the jacket and one for the boots) could help the sprite alot, however I could tell that wasn't the direction you were heading in so I didn't modify that ^^U.

Also I noticed you used two near black tones in your sprite, one redish and one greenish. They were both used in the outline only and it would probably be conservant of you to remove one of them perhaps.

Anyways good luck with your latest animation.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 10:55:07 pm
Thank you Dhaos for taking the time, however, i think i will keep the boots like they are now for a while, since i think they fit better with my general style

Aso, i hear what you are saying about the darkeer colors, but fo the moment im going to keep them since the goal of this sint to conserve colors, its to make tihngs simpler, and having 2 different colors there actually does make things simpler for me to work.  visualy i dont think its a big enough issue that the 2 different colors will hurt the graphics, but what do people tihnk? i am after all posting this here so that people can tell me stuff like that :P

I have begun working on the colored version of the running animation, but still feel free to suggest ways to fix the rotations if people see anything they think is wrong with them

« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 11:03:02 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

instant

Reply #24 on: April 17, 2006, 11:04:26 pm
Thank you Dhaos for taking the time, however, i think i will keep the boots like they are now for a while, since i think they fit better with my general style

Aso, i hear what you are saying about the darkeer colors, but fo the moment im going to keep them since the goal of this sint to conserve colors, its to make tihngs simpler, and having 2 different colors there actually does make things simpler for me to work.  visualy i dont think its a big enough issue that the 2 different colors will hurt the graphics, but what do people tihnk? i am after all posting this here so that people can tell me stuff like that :P

Since both colors are of different hue, i see no major issue. In your case, upping contrast might hurt the art..simply because your style is very unsaturated. Basicly,, just keep pushing with the walk cycle and tweak minor things later.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 17, 2006, 11:19:29 pm
Good work.  Maybe making the boots darker to make them look less metallic.   Love the run cycle. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 01:09:21 am
the jacket looks like it's bouncing around backwards; when one leg comes up, the open part shifts to the other side. wouldn't it be the other way around?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 18, 2006, 02:13:51 am
wouldn't it be the other way around?
but that would amke to much sense :P

edit: later
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #28 on: April 18, 2006, 03:34:28 am
his left side (our right) looks stiff.
his right arm seems very active while the other is just wiggling. might help to focus a bit more on visualizing where things are moving in 3d space.
nice thread, i like how things are progressing.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: April 18, 2006, 04:01:06 am
very nice.  the top of the head seems a bit strange with no pixel changes.  Maybe the highlight moving slightly to follow head contour?  Very polished animation.