AuthorTopic: Tactics Character WIP  (Read 26557 times)

Offline God Slayer

• No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. No one.
    • View Profile

Re: Tactics Character WIP

Reply #30 on: April 18, 2006, 10:07:00 am
very nice.  the top of the head seems a bit strange with no pixel changes.  Maybe the highlight moving slightly to follow head contour?  Very polished animation.

Whoah, it's you. :o

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: April 18, 2006, 01:24:41 pm
Quote from: Alex Hanson-White
his left side (our right) looks stiff.
his right arm seems very active while the other is just wiggling. might help to focus a bit more on visualizing where things are moving in 3d space.
nice thread, i like how things are progressing.
thanks, and yes, that's something that occured to me, im going to try and figure that out in my next edit (is the reason ive held off the most recent stuff, im waiting until ive redone that part a bit)

Quote from: lief
the top of the head seems a bit strange with no pixel changes.
Quote from: Adarias
(hair/hats are a separate layer from the costume sprite)
basically, i dont intend to do any work with the top of the head, at least not at the moment, as the individual hairstyles and hats will be put on top of this, completely covering the top of the head portion.
Quote from: lief
Very polished animation.
Thank you :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: April 19, 2006, 07:57:46 pm
Well, heres a bit of an update:

still dont quite know what to do about the boots or the far arm, but things are coming along

Also, here is a shot of the character in an environment.  The gridlines can be toggled on/off as a part of the tactical overlay.  Personally i prefer the grid off, since it gives a more aestheitc quality to the ground...but the rest of the team wants to be able to see the grid exactly, so we compromized :P

the tiles also are up for C+C as long as it is known that that is only one tile type! (so dont complain that it all looks like the same kinda grass because guess what - it is all the same kinda grass)
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 19, 2006, 09:10:30 pm
now thats just f'in aweseome!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #34 on: April 19, 2006, 09:12:22 pm
OT: please please please make the terrain variations have tactical uses like modifiers for uneven ground, slopes, lower ground than opponent... the player doesn't have to SEE these numbers, but please convince your coders that terrain is very important in tactical games. Beyond just 'rock tile +1 defense'. This would be a nice thing to see in these types of games.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #35 on: April 19, 2006, 09:18:38 pm
That's cool, is the ground a 3d object with a texture, or is it purely 2d? Just curious.
As far as that arm movement, I'd like to point out that the upperarm should probably disapear first before the lowerarm, not at the same time as it is doing currently.

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: April 19, 2006, 09:30:17 pm
is the terrain actually coded yet? looks like a mathematical nightmare! much much praise if you get this done, I very much hope to see it.
I'd suggest to keep the gridlines, but perhaps make them more subtle, a mid-dark green/brown, or perhaps a lighter yellow/green. Otherwise all looking lovely. perhaps in the run cylce his left arm could move back and forth a little more.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #37 on: April 19, 2006, 09:42:09 pm
In the running anim, his head's gonna have a bit of horizontal movement, right?
The terrain looks great...but I agree that I'd probably find it impossible to play without the grid. I second Neverest on that matter.

Well, this is turning out wonderfully, and can't wait to see what the trees look like.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: April 19, 2006, 10:30:16 pm
@Xion Night: the head at the moment is just a placeholder, but what would you suggest for animation?  to be honest im at a loss which is why i havent touched it

@neverest & Alex Hanson-White: The terrain is a very rigid 2d system.  We began with a piss-poor 3d system that was hard to code and hard for me as a spriter to work with, mostly because we couldnt find a program that would allow us to disable perspective, leading to crap like http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/777/wierd5im.jpg.  Our programmer has been hard at work night and day (i.e. a few minutes here and there) coding it.  At the moment, we are going with an 'imperfect system' that allows the player to snap rotate 90' at a time, and the terrain rotates and moves accordingly.  The problem is that im a bit lazy, so things will always have the same light source, because i dont want to draw every frame of every object and tile and character being lit from 4 different directions.

@Helm: I plan to have terrain play as much of a factor as possible in combat, but the more complex gameplay ideas are being held until the regular commands have been made to function properly :P
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006, 12:30:51 am
Ahhh very nice! Though I think the uphill part facing the lightsource could be more highlighted or brighter, its kind of hard to make it out.