AuthorTopic: Animations ~updated again~  (Read 11270 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Re: Animations

Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 03:48:29 pm
Xion, These animations are excellent. Particularly the spider tank. The motion on legs is great. The movement on the head is great. The colors ae great.

you may want to try bumping the back end of the body up or down as it's looking a little too rigid... maybe that's the effect you;re going for though...

I've just bodged it a bit... to give u an idea...

Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Captain Blood

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 04:36:09 pm
your results are great too, I'm glad you got into the subpixel vibe right away.

Subpixel technique in animated sprites has always given me a headache.  Is there some advice you can give to learning it better?

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 07:51:11 pm
The second one is great, though I think the head movement is too exaggerated. I know there isn't enough room too make it subtle, so I suggest using AA to create the movement.

The robot is just too stiff right now. I know its a robot, but yours is like ... "static". The whole animation looks rushed, to me.

I am impressed, though. Nice job.
@darionmccoy

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 10:34:34 pm
Wow, thanks for all the replies! ;D I'll try to take all you guys' advice into account when I update both images.

your results are great too, I'm glad you got into the subpixel vibe right away.

Subpixel technique in animated sprites has always given me a headache. Is there some advice you can give to learning it better?
I hope ya weren't asking me, 'cause I have no idea. :P I just try what looks good, with selout and all. I just try to make the pixels move in "half-pixels"...If that makes sense.

The robot is just too stiff right now. I know its a robot, but yours is like ... "static". The whole animation looks rushed, to me.
I guess I could've spent some more time on it, now that I'm looking at it. I see exactly what you mean. I could redo the whole upper-body's pose to make some something more dynamic, and add some more recoil(?).

is your second guy supposed to be biologic? I guessed so because you mention blood for a death anim, I think he looks pretty damn mechanic though. if you still want to use the more greenish highlights I'd say put them on the head/torso.
I started out with a robot in mind, but then he got a bit greenish, and started looking more and more organic. So really, I don't know. :P But I kinda like that mechanically organic (or vice versa) quality.
Xion, These animations are excellent. Particularly the spider tank. The motion on legs is great. The movement on the head is great. The colors ae great.

you may want to try bumping the back end of the body up or down as it's looking a little too rigid... maybe that's the effect you;re going for though...

I've just bodged it a bit... to give u an idea...

Thanks! Your edit is a bit too jerky, but I see what you mean.

Thanks again, peeps, and I'll see what I can improve with the next update. ;D

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 11:29:18 pm
so...is 2nd a rbot or not?

EDIT: UGH...XD what was I thinking...I shouldnt've posted this hurried when we were waiting for the equipment c.c

I meant biologic, is it biologic or not?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 02:01:50 am by Camus »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 01:06:21 am
Uhh...No?
Edit:
I meant biologic, is it biologic or not?
Yes indeedy. I've decided on biologic.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 02:10:10 am by Xion Night »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 06:25:09 am

I'm greatly pleased with the improvement of both.
Thanks again for all the advice, guys.

C&C please.

Edit: Fairly minor update:
Oh yeah, Animation is fun and easy. More people should try it.

...seriously.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 06:47:36 am by Xion Night »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #17 on: March 18, 2006, 07:11:53 am
Oh yeah, Animation is fun and easy. More people should try it.

...seriously.
LMAO quoted for truth  ;D

me likey that green blast effect you made, only thing is it doesnt really match the jittery motion of the robot, I think it would make sense if the origin was always the gun's nozzle, or atleast a little more erratic and not so set exactly on the initial nozzle position.

I dont really like the way you've exagerated the jittering movement to be honest, it was right on the spot before...sometimes it is not really a good idea to put everything you can into a picture, less can be more. I do like the idea of changing the lighting on the robot when he fires BUT, if you are only going to mess with the shine on his pallete it's not really worth it, I belive the best result is obtained if the ligthsource is COMPLETLY switched to the nozzle with really high contrast, and the flashing is very quick (which is exactly the way it was handled in EWJ1) if it lasts too long or the lightsource change is too tame it has been done so many times before it just looks tacky in my eyes.

the spidery thingy is looking incomplete to me, it shows that it was originally meant to be monotone, and it also shows you want to make it bilogic and a bit richier in colors and pallete. but it is neither here nor there, I think to make it truly biologic looking you'd have to imagine the role it could have in it's habitat, so you could decide wether his skin pattern should be a camouflage, a warning for venom (bright colors) or whatever. obviously the neck wouldnt work at all if it were to be biologic.

honestly, if you dont feel like applying all this critique and moving on to better anims, I wouldnt mind, in fact I think that would be best. I enjoyed the anims the way they were the first time they were posted, and I would love to see more of that.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 02:37:47 am by Camus »

Offline Krizmo

• Yes, that is me.
    • View Profile

Re: Animations ~updated~

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2006, 03:49:59 pm
omg. Tht is so good Xion. It really inspires me to do some pixelling :P But not right now 'cause I'm still a tad bit drunk. Good job, I love these animations :D
Look for your friends, but do not trust a hope. It is forsaken these lands....

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Animations ~updated~

Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 12:48:20 am
Aight, back to these.

Walking animation. Heavy WIP. I know the upper half sucks, but I dunno what to do with it...or with the arms that aren't on it yet.
C&C very welcome.

I belive the best result is obtained if the ligthsource is COMPLETLY switched to the nozzle with really high contrast, and the flashing is very quick (which is exactly the way it was handled in EWJ1) if it lasts too long or the lightsource change is too tame it has been done so many times before it just looks tacky in my eyes.
Thanks for the advice. I might revisit that later, but for now I think I'll take your other advice:
honestly, if you dont feel like applying all this critique and moving on to better anims, I wouldnt mind, in fact I think that would be best. I enjoyed the anims the way they were the first time they were posted, and I would love to see more of that.

Oh, you're absolutely right about the 4-legged alien dude. I was acting on a series of whims, rather than thinking of it as an actual creature.
Thanks for the crits.

omg. Tht is so good Xion. It really inspires me to do some pixelling :P But not right now 'cause I'm still a tad bit drunk. Good job, I love these animations :D
Thankee.