AuthorTopic: [WIP] Town (isometric)  (Read 31816 times)

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Town (isometric)

Reply #40 on: December 16, 2009, 07:29:12 pm

The step units leading into the street confuse me; the black line running under each unit makes them look as though they are connected to a wall and floating in the air, but then, in relation to the floor under them, they look like they're on flat ground.  :-\

Other than that, I'm loving it! What a great idea for a project!

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 12:57:02 pm
The step units leading into the street confuse me; the black line running under each unit makes them look as though they are connected to a wall and floating in the air, but then, in relation to the floor under them, they look like they're on flat ground.  :-\
That would be the an exposed storm drain, and the steps are meant to cross over it. It's standard street planning for a town like this.

EDIT: Of course, the drains here do look like they blend in with the base of the buildings, so a minor recolour may be in order.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:58:20 pm by The Mozack »

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 05:02:57 pm
Ah, I see! Yeah, I think a little shading will go a long way with differentiating that drop-off from the floor.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #43 on: December 17, 2009, 07:08:11 pm
I hadn't noticed those drains!

Are they really that close to the houses and pillars?
Is there no railing or protection?

I'm so nerdish about drains, sewers and that stuff.  :crazy:

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 08:08:36 pm
I hadn't noticed those drains!

Are they really that close to the houses and pillars?
Is there no railing or protection?
For main streets, drains are typically dug out between the roadway and the covered walkway (exposed sidewalks are not common in built up areas of the town). Side streets need not include any sidewalks, so the drains along these roadways hug the sides of buildings or boundaries in each block. And yes, there are no railings. Pedestrians or vehicles CAN fall into the drain by accident. An exception to the rule may be municipal buildings, where concrete slabs may be placed over drains to cover up its unsightliness. Also, the drains will usually have to be substantially deep to handle excess rainwater. The climate here calls for rainy seasons which can trigger overflowing of nearby rivers, and flooding.

I'm having a hard time finding exact illustrations (given people here don't seem to have an interest in these things), but here is one that roughly depicts the type of design I'm aiming for:

Of course, the drain I would be using for this part of town will typically be much shallower (knee deep, the most) and narrower, and lack these support pillars. Also, the drains to be illustrated are meant to be made of from pre-fab concrete pieces, instead of the more elaborate rock-and-concrete construction pictured. However, the latter design may be used for wider and sturdier mainline drainage leading to rivers (the drainage route can be hammered out later).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:16:24 pm by The Mozack »

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: February 08, 2010, 07:46:57 pm

Coming back to this, several bits of detailing has been done. AA on the windows should begin sooner or later.

Damn, 3 months for this one block.

Offline Bork

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 11:10:50 am
Hey mozack, Ive been watching you on DA since 2003 but youre not very active over there. Glad to see youre still rocking the pixels. Its very refreshing to see an isometric scene that isnt 100% aligned to the iso angles for every single building like most scenes are.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 07:32:39 pm
Roof's almost done.

Will move on to fixing those windows.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: March 20, 2010, 06:32:58 pm

Windows done.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: April 19, 2010, 12:30:26 pm

Additional detailing. Shame all that work on the shopfronts are wasted. That's vernacular architecture for you.