AuthorTopic: [WIP] Town (isometric)  (Read 31808 times)

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Town (isometric)

Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 12:40:46 pm

Detailing on walls and overhang frames. First go at it using GIMP.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 12:57:23 pm
The windows don't look right. They face head on while the buildings are at a slight angle. I would recommend a pixel difference in height per window. Might wanna try to sync them with the lines of the building.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 01:19:42 pm
The windows don't look right. They face head on while the buildings are at a slight angle. I would recommend a pixel difference in height per window. Might wanna try to sync them with the lines of the building.
I thought they already are (roughly).

Of course, if the windows look like they are pointing towards the viewer, I can adjust it a little (first window is the original; second and third are edits with the wall to the left set back one and two pixels).

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 01:56:37 pm
I did a really really quick edit of what I'm sure Opacus means:

tested: (the edit is the middle window)

However if I were you I'd line the pixel hieght in alighnment to the wood's jaggies, also as Opacus suggested.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: December 07, 2009, 03:46:42 pm
I did a really really quick edit of what I'm sure Opacus means:

tested: (the edit is the middle window)

However if I were you I'd line the pixel hieght in alighnment to the wood's jaggies, also as Opacus suggested.

Right, that adjustment. I really like to align it properly with the angle of the building, but the biggest problem with this method is evidently present in the images you have provided; it makes the windows look crooked and uneven. It's probably better to sacrifice precision for presentation when dealing with unconventional angles.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #35 on: December 08, 2009, 04:54:54 am
I don't agree, I think your current windows stick out a lot, while the edit looks more or less right (maybe slightly overtilted it)

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: December 08, 2009, 06:54:37 am
I don't agree, I think your current windows stick out a lot, while the edit looks more or less right (maybe slightly overtilted it)
But I still can't accept the fact that it messes up the uniformity of the windows, and that the edited window is only suitable for sightly more sharper angles:

If I was working on buildings that are larger in scale, there should be much more room to work with and give the windows a slight angle, as Ultimaodin has pointed out.

But given the size of this scene, I can't help imagining the facade looking more like this:

Not that I'm not open to C&C, but I would like to take a good look at examples that apply the methods explained by Ultimaodin, to prove me wrong. I'm also open to alternate methods that can resolve this problem. AA, perhaps?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:01:14 am by The Mozack »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #37 on: December 08, 2009, 02:08:13 pm

The main problem you have here is not the angle as such but the spacing of the windows and them not being on angle at all (which wont happen unless you treat every window separately(take number 2 and AA from there), which would be a lot of work and still look odd as the windows which are the same would look different (so there still would be a perceived visual conflict)

Both yours and Ultimaodin's look equally off when applied to all windows, but I think aaing something like what Ultimaodin did (example 4) would work OK.
I did not even have to add new colours.

There still is the problem of the middle window being 2 pixels down from the 1st and then the last being down only 1 pixel from the middle one. For this I think there is no good solution apart from rearranging the windows to make them seem more even.

Anyway, if you AA these windows, I think you need to AA the rest of your shallow angles too, as well as other places to make it look uniform.

Good luck. I really like your effort on this and am enjoying each update. :y:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #38 on: December 08, 2009, 08:34:52 pm
I think the best point in Ultimaodin's edit is the asymmetry in the shutters, this by itself gives a stronger depth and sideways feeling.
AA would of course help, but this is opening the door to AAing the whole piece: yikes.

Here's my try at it:

1 = original; 2 = shutter change only; 3 = + simpler AA

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: December 16, 2009, 10:52:08 am
Figured may as well shift my attention to other unfinished parts of the block and leave the windows' fine tuning for last when final detailing is made.

Spent pretty much the entire week on the roof; GIMP has not help an awful lot when dabbing pixel by pixel. Still, the roof is about 60-70% done.

And Manupix was spot on on the shutters. One factor to the windows' unusual angle is the symmetry of the shutters. This has been rectified in the image above, but it's not close to resolution until all possibilities are weighed in. As for AA, if one has to apply it for the scene for proper presentation, I can't imagine the amount of backtracking one has to do on other parts of the scene.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:10:43 am by The Mozack »