AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 1001428 times)

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #1140 on: November 10, 2009, 03:50:02 pm
Did more random drawing in the subway today. The one on the right is one of those litterboxes that come out of the walls in the wagons (drawn this morning). The one on the left is a random creature reading (inspired by the guy in front of me, who was reading a book and since I didn't have the courage to observe and sketch him, I drew this creature instead (drawn 20 minutes ago)).
The rumbling and shaking of the wagon really makes it hard to draw clean lines or even shade a given area without accidentally crossing the boundaries of the perceived shape.

Anyway, I'm inspired to do a pixel art piece titled "In The Subway" with a perspective view into the wagon with all sorts of strange creatures engaging in typical subway activities (mostly blank staring or peeking at the few beautyful females) to capture the mood of an early morning subway ride to work. Need to draw more inspiration from the subway for that in the upcoming days though...

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #1141 on: November 11, 2009, 12:26:20 am
I like these train sketchings very much Dennis!  A train seems like the perfect environment to practice drawing.  You've got the people, of course, doing all sorts of activities, the different textures of the materials in the train, the reflections on the glass, the outside environment going by (which could be interesting to try to draw in motion).  I usually sketch during/between class or while on the shitter  :blind:.  You mostly get bricks, benches, and people reading books.  In the bathroom, you get ducts and sinks and dirty cloths.  Neither is very diverse when compared to a train. 

Going back and forth from strict reproductions of what I see to free imagination faces and abstract geometry seems to do the trick for me.  The strict reproductions are always more rewarding personally, though.

I never ask permission to draw anybody.  I don't really care if this is rude, but it might be useful to have a talk about the ethics of asking people for permission to draw their likeness.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #1142 on: November 11, 2009, 12:29:01 am
Bleh, my tooth is killing me! Well, might not even be my tooth. Just the whole side of my face is pulsing pain, especially at the 'hinge' of my jaw.

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #1143 on: November 11, 2009, 12:35:12 am
Not that I sketch people, but if I did, I don't think I'd bother 'asking permission' to do so. Why should you? You are simply drawing things in your current view - in the same way as people might catch you in a photograph they are taking. If the person looks agitated from it then sure.. scrap it and move to someone else. Jeez.. there are enough CCTV cameras and stuff around these days - and if anything there is more reason to be uncomfortable by them capturing your full likeness and actions rather than some bumpy train ride sketch by someone passing time on his/her commute to work.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #1144 on: November 11, 2009, 12:49:43 am
Bleh, my tooth is killing me! Well, might not even be my tooth. Just the whole side of my face is pulsing pain, especially at the 'hinge' of my jaw.

Dude, see a dentist. In the worst case this can be a tooth infection which spread to the bone of your jaw. I had something similar last year, where I had a hole in my tooth for ages which was not visible from because it was between the molars where the view is blocked. Result was partial jaw infection and the tooth being dead.

If I had not gone to the doc it could have ended really bad. Tho at some point I got a really high fever because of the infection. But yeh, go to a dentist, play it safe.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #1145 on: November 11, 2009, 01:56:32 am

Dude, see a dentist. In the worst case this can be a tooth infection which spread to the bone of your jaw. I had something similar last year, where I had a hole in my tooth for ages which was not visible from because it was between the molars where the view is blocked. Result was partial jaw infection and the tooth being dead.

If I had not gone to the doc it could have ended really bad. Tho at some point I got a really high fever because of the infection. But yeh, go to a dentist, play it safe.
Ya I've been to the dentist before and ended up having an infection... though this doesn't feel anything like that toothache. I swear it feels like my jaw is dislocated or something. Definitely going to see a dentist soon if this doesn't clear up, it's unbearable.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #1146 on: November 11, 2009, 02:49:13 am
I get chronic migraines, and a lot of the time the experience is as you've described, the pain all along the whole right half of my face, especially my temple, behind my eye, through the hinge, and into my teeth. May be what you're describing, I dunno. Drink water if you don't do that enough...? : D

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #1147 on: November 11, 2009, 02:57:33 am
Nah, I get migraines and it's nothing like this. I realized though at night even while I'm awake I clamp ridiculously hard... getting a mouth piece tomorrow, heh.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #1148 on: November 11, 2009, 04:56:47 pm
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on commute-sketching Rydin and Zoggles, they helped me today to just go ahead and draw the people without asking. I think I'll post my daily sketches to the OT creativity from now on, as there does not seem to be a sketch thread yet.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #1149 on: November 12, 2009, 02:36:39 pm
Nah, I get migraines and it's nothing like this. I realized though at night even while I'm awake I clamp ridiculously hard... getting a mouth piece tomorrow, heh.

I was about to say, sometimes I clench my jaw very tight at night and wake up with sore pain all through it.
I mild from suffer dislexia.