AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318567 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #790 on: September 29, 2008, 06:22:02 pm
ONE (1) remote for TWO (2) devices???!?!?!? You are talking CRAZY!!!!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #791 on: September 29, 2008, 08:30:35 pm
Eh, yo guys, 'sup :\ Sorry for coming back like this without atoning for the christmas failure ): Sorry huZba for teh phail. I'll PM you about it.

Anyhow, lurking is like boring and stuffs. So here I am. Oh, also, I have a permanent job as a pixel artist at a games company, so I kinda wanted to say thanks guys, I'd never have achieved a level of pixel-artsyness sufficient for a job without the wonderful machinery of pixel arts, critiques and manhugs known as pixelation <3 So yeah :D

Also, I'm happy because now alkaline's avatar has a gelatinous partner (: Yay lovings <3
' _ '

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #792 on: September 29, 2008, 10:16:18 pm
Nice seeing you again Jad! Your avatar always reminds me of a good dessert  :crazy:

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #793 on: September 29, 2008, 11:04:22 pm
yayay you're back : D i missed my jiggly avatar counterpart. now post some art ::)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #794 on: September 30, 2008, 05:02:21 am
Oh man, i've been wondering when you'd come back from hiding. It felt like 1/5 of happy and 1/2 of jiggly was missing, so now they're both back to full levels.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #795 on: September 30, 2008, 07:35:05 pm
Further messing round in Twinsen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guZxEF-9y6k&fmt=18

you can see I updated his sprites a little, if you wanna see them in higher quality:
http://i37.tinypic.com/2vvjk46.gif
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #796 on: September 30, 2008, 07:43:07 pm
Love the sprites and animation. But I find huge flashing light when stepping on those snails annoying.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #797 on: September 30, 2008, 07:52:10 pm
I've got a bit of a question for you all. I got into an argument with someone about settings. He wants to do a game with a moon setting(not OUR moon). This would be a habitat for a species, by the by. I think a gray boring crater-ridden terrain is pretty boring, and he agreed. So we started talking about ways to create a terrain that is still has the beauty and interest of Earth, but still reads as a moon instead of Earth.

He thinks, however, that it's perfectly fine to populate the setting with lots of green grass, blue water, brown dirt, red lava and such. He says that it would be better to have different cultures and climates to portray an alien world.

I, however, had the idea of change the colors of the world. Why does the water have to be blue? Why does the water have to be water we know as water? Why does the grass have to be green? I figured we could change the overall colors of the world to show that it's a totally different world other than Earth, but still have features people are familiar with. Of course, this would also have fictional vegetation and all.

He was very against the idea though, as he has the idea that people don't wont relate if it isn't like Earth. It's something I tend to hate in video games. No matter how far away the planet is from Earth, whether it's lightyears or dimensions, it still looks like Earth. The plants may be fictitious, but they tend to still be green, or as though you could pluck them out of the game and put them on Earth and they'd fit in fine. It's also a mindset I see in scientists a lot, where they think whatever life that may be out there in the universe follows the same rules as life on Earth. I dunno, I tend to really disagree that people won't see beauty in a setting if it doesn't have the same colors people associate with Earth. Am I wrong in this?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 07:54:36 pm by Dusty »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #798 on: September 30, 2008, 08:29:14 pm
I agree with you. As for water, it's transparent, clear, no colour, it looks blue because of our blue atmosphere. So on a planet with say a red sky water would look red.

I also think that making plants have different colours can work if done right. I do not see why, say dark blue trees with yellow/white leaves, could not work.
For all it matters I think making a world look nice but not like earth would create a greater sense of wonder and atmosphere.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #799 on: September 30, 2008, 08:36:50 pm
I agree with you. As for water, it's transparent, clear, no colour, it looks blue because of our blue atmosphere. So on a planet with say a red sky water would look red.
I actually researched this, because I believed the same thing, but it's a common misconception. Apparently, while cleaned water like in a pool or from the tap reflects the sky, and thus is blue, water from the ocean is blue because it's chemically blue.

What I still said applies though, as while that may be the physical properties of water on Earth, who's to say another planet couldn't have a similar counter-part, but with a different color? Every matter has a liquid state, so it's not far fetched to say a planet has adapted to another liquid substance.