AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 321477 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #740 on: September 18, 2008, 05:07:39 pm
I love Contact too and I hate Jodie Foster, really can'st stand her.

Here's some more hard sci-fi: Solaris (russian film), Stalker, Rollerball. A Scanner Darkly, Children of Men. I consider Alien to be hard sci fi too. For me sci-fi is a delicate and informed view into the human situation through the advent of technology.

And as far as I know, no proper Asimov movies have been made yet.

Really, Star Wars is to blame for a lot of the bad sci fi we've had to endure because for 20 years the genre was struggling to establish itself as something more than just spaceships and robots and lasers and then the trilogy came out and... there you go. Space princesses, lightsabers and stormtroopers.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #741 on: September 18, 2008, 05:47:52 pm
Really, Star Wars is to blame for a lot of the bad sci fi we've had to endure because for 20 years the genre was struggling to establish itself as something more than just spaceships and robots and lasers and then the trilogy came out and... there you go. Space princesses, lightsabers and stormtroopers.

Particularly the fact that Star Wars made bus-loads of money. True sci-fi is a niche, so it really needs a level of creative freedom that only independent film allows for right now, and unfortunately it's a widely held belief that sci-fi movies must have bloated budgets and be EPIC! I think Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is actually a perfect example of the potential sci-fi has if given freedom to move outside space ships and millions of computer generated aliens and tackle something more intimate.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #742 on: September 18, 2008, 06:12:12 pm
I agree. It's a great movie on many levels. Adapation is perhaps similar in effect, though not sci-fi.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #743 on: September 18, 2008, 06:18:08 pm
I've been watching some of the recommended films on this thread, good stuff.

Anyone seen Donnie Darko?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #744 on: September 18, 2008, 06:34:48 pm
Yeah, it's a very good film in my opinion.

also, sharprm, to satisfy my curiosity, would you mind telling me your age?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #745 on: September 18, 2008, 07:00:17 pm
Anyone seen Donnie Darko?

yes and it was pretty poor.

Jake Gyllenhaal has done much better movies since.

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #746 on: September 18, 2008, 08:55:09 pm
Okay, need podcasts. Finding podcasts is hard, there's no real method to it. Google doesn't help, all the podcasts I've ever found and liked, I stumbled across accidentally, or at the recommendation of some guy I don't know on some forum somewhere, or seen mentioned off hand in a blog post I fell across by mistake, or some such thing. SO, what I'm asking: Post a list of all the podcasts you like or listen to. Don't hold back, post weird stuff that you're not even sure you like, and post your stuff even if it's already listed, so that it counts double. Post well know stuff like TWIT or 1UP Yours if you like, but what I'm hoping for really is that someone will post a bunch of weird crap I haven't heard of.

This is mine:

common sense, hardcore history
the jeff and casey show
maniacal rage
role playing public radio
smodcast
skeptic's guide to the universe
van hemlock's podcast

now defunct or on some kind of freaky hiatus but still good:

penny arcade's downloadable content
arsecast
webcomics weekly
radiolab
one life left
little gray book lectures

stuff that i used to like, but that I stopped listening to for some reason or another, but which is probably still good if you're into that kind of thing:

the sound of young america
this american life
fear the boot

Anyway. Anything is fine. Don't need descriptions, just titles.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #747 on: September 18, 2008, 11:14:39 pm
The only podcast i actually listen to is the Chris Moyles podcast, because it's easy to get and i just listen to it while washing the dishes sometimes. For some reason i don't find it as good as the actual show, even though it's meant to be the best bits, and i also think the show has gotten worse - in comparison to how much i remember liking it. But yeah, i still listen to it.

I find it really hard to listen to podcasts, i don't know the first thing about looking for them. I love the idea, but it seems so confusing, and then when i find some i think i might like they seem to dissapoint.  :-X

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #748 on: September 19, 2008, 05:38:53 am
Helm I am 23. Have you seen "Idiocracy"? I think you'd like it. It's SCI-FI.

"Tek Jansen" is a pretty good podcast type thing. It's SCI-FI.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #749 on: September 19, 2008, 08:00:33 am
Idiocracy was good, but it could have been great.
I did like the award winning movie that was a closeup of an ass for 90 minutes, pretty much the same as disaster movie, superhero movie, epic movie, etc movie
Life without knowledge is death in disguise