AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 318593 times)

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #440 on: August 15, 2008, 03:38:33 am
Hey, all, I need your help.

A while back, probably 2 domain changes since this, someone posted a really cool game on here. It was posted along side "Cave Story," and the icon was a moon. The game was real simplistic; you just ran around, and I think collected something that didn't matter. It was mostly just an adventure game. The only concrete detail that I remember was the moon icon. Anyone remember what it is?

And I'm sorry it's a bit vague, but it's a shot in the dark.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #441 on: August 15, 2008, 03:47:58 am
Speaking of games from around these parts, whatever happened to Nun 'n' Gun?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:08:46 am by Dusty »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #442 on: August 15, 2008, 04:14:48 am
Whoa, you missed the intro scene of Magus's castle?  That was one the best pixelled parts of that game.

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Reply #443 on: August 15, 2008, 04:55:15 am
I just lurk here a lot, but this 'games as art' thing forces me to post.  Games are a commercial industry, it's true, but film, books and music are the same type of media.  There are plenty of artists in all of those other media who can genuinely say "this work is art" as they don't really give a crap about the money.  They do it to do it.  It doesn't matter how much money you make, so long as you're pushing yourself as an artist and the medium you're working with.

I think games have that same sort of potential, in the same way that comic books had that potential back in the 30's and 40's.  Comics were an industry, and most of the people working in them were not really doing anything more than just trying to sell the next book.  But diversity and the march of technology took that industry and turned it into something anyone could successfully do out of their home, and now there's a lot of diverse books out there of all types.  I defy you to tell me that Maus is not "art".

Games have that same sort of creative potential.  Anyone CAN make a game right now were they so inclined and driven to do so, and while most people focus on the 'fun' of a game, it's entirely possible to couple the interactive elements with a story and characters as compelling as anything in books or film.  There have not been many designers who have tried to tap into that paradigm, but the lack of attempts is less a flaw of the medium and more an example of the untapped potential waiting to be unearthed in gaming.

And with that said, I'll go away for a while again :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:57:20 am by Squiggly_P »

Offline MrMister

• meltymorph
    • View Profile

Reply #444 on: August 15, 2008, 05:18:54 am
video games are art. peace - michael phelps, 2001
it might be a one shot deal

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #445 on: August 15, 2008, 10:19:52 am
I defy you to tell me that Maus is not "art".

Whether Maus is art or not (it certainly made good use of contemporary storytelling techniques that Art Spiegelmann had honed while drawing for Raw) I believe it's importance lies elsewhere, in it's social impact and historical value. It wasn't made to be just "art", it was made to convey a difficult story as effectively as possible.

When you think about many books that are now considered classics, there are more books that have made it to history not for the sake of their experimental values but for the sake of the things that are said in them. Are there games that actually manage to say something important about something and say it well?

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #446 on: August 15, 2008, 12:47:00 pm
Just found out i got into University  ;D

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #447 on: August 15, 2008, 02:08:24 pm
Just found out i got into University  ;D

Nice, where ya goin'?

UW-Platteville for me.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #448 on: August 15, 2008, 02:14:44 pm
the university of exeter, (im from the UK)

i don't know if i will go though... could turn out to be a big waste of time and money.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #449 on: August 15, 2008, 02:30:10 pm
I wonder if we will ever truly define art. We know there's art, and we know there's bad art and even non art, so some line must exist somewhere!

I really need to get on a better sleeping schedule. it's 10:37 am here and I've been up since 5:30 pm yesterday -_-