AuthorTopic: Overly exadurated broad swordsmen (Attack animation updated)  (Read 41935 times)

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Re: Overly exadurated broad swordsmen (Attack animation updated)

Reply #30 on: April 07, 2008, 05:34:08 am
To me, your biggest issue with the attack animation are two things; pacing and the angle of the sword.
As it is now the attack moves at the same speed throughout the animation, there's no buildup and no snapping motion.
It's looks as if he just lets the sword fall down, not applying any force.

As for the angle of the sword, the character does some pretty weird things (aside from moving the elbow in front of his face).

This frame is perhaps the biggest issue in the animation. The angle here is what you'd get from a near completed swing,
yet most of the sword is still above his head. And he holds the sword in an almost impossible way. I can imagine an actual
sword like that, swung that way, could end up injuring your wrists since the awkward pose puts strain on the wrists.
I did a quick paint-over of how he should hold the sword when his arms are in a similar position.

I totally agree with ndchristie about breaking up the animation in two parts.
Swinging the sword forward and positioning it above the head with the help of the momentum of the swing
would probably take less effort than just lifting it.

Also, it makes more sense to make a swing since he wouldn't leave himself vulnerable then.
I also did a small animation of it (uncannily similar to ndchristies too :crazy:)

I also notice you contradict yourself. With the walking animation you wanted to make him drag the sword like he has trouble with it.
With the attack you want him to swing it without effort.
I imagine the sword to be rediculously heavy so it'd be pointless to try and carry it in the air.
If he could wield the sword effortless, carrying it around would not be a big problem.
I'd suggest looking at Siegfried from SC3 (if you have access to the game, play it and study it. if you don't have it www.youtube.com)
He wields a huge sword (granted, not "Gats" huge but still pretty big) but does so effortlessly.
Siegfried is a very good example of "huge sword guy" done right.

I reckon the "slow struggling attack" you mention is the actual buildup for the attack.
The buildup is necessary for such a big sword. At least to make it look convincing.

Hope it helps  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:42:21 am by Luzeke »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #31 on: April 07, 2008, 05:48:56 am
- The step should be completed before the swing is finished.
- The sword should still be angled mostly downward when the arms are fully raised.
(Mechanically this makes more sense considering the sword's weight, and as it is, you're cutting the arc of the swing in half.)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 10:01:13 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #32 on: April 08, 2008, 04:45:32 am
Okay I've gone over what all of you have said.
I really pictured this attack coming straight over him from behind so I'm going to keep trying to make this one work.
I tried applying Luzeke's edit on how he should be holding the sword.
Still haven't fixed this frame

I re-added the kneel, and drew a new frame for more of a stretching motion as he goes to swing it over himself.
Don't know if I should either keep the stall when he goes to hurl the sword.
or

I also notice you contradict yourself. With the walking animation you wanted to make him drag the sword like he has trouble with it.
With the attack you want him to swing it without effort.
I imagine the sword to be rediculously heavy so it'd be pointless to try and carry it in the air.
If he could wield the sword effortless, carrying it around would not be a big problem.
Don't you think carrying a sword like that off the ground while walking would waste a lot of energy needed to lift a sword of that weight?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:54:40 am by Souly »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 08, 2008, 05:33:31 am
The stall definitely adds some impact to the swing. I think it would be better though if rather than drawing out the same frame, he stretched a bit more, extending his legs, with the sword held behind his head, to give it some thrust. I'm still not sold on the simultaneous step and swing.... I think the foot should at least land first.

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 08:35:39 am
Don't you think carrying a sword like that off the ground while walking would waste a lot of energy needed to lift a sword of that weight?

Think about it like this. When we see the actual sprite he is, in fact, in combat. If it was me (even if the sword was ridiculously heavy) I would rather be somewhat tired but ready for anything, than refreshed and unprepared. And as I said, if he has actually mastered the sword, carrying it above ground would not be a big issue for him.

This looks a lot better by the way  ;D

I'm still not sold on the simultaneous step and swing.... I think the foot should at least land first.
Have you ever even touched a real sword? Swordsplay is not a step-by-step matter. If i couldn't step and swing simultaneously, my opponent would have time to cut my legs off. If you lift your sword then takes a step and then makes a swing you leave yourself wide open. Not to mention that the power of your attack comes from the movement of your whole body, not just the arms.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 08:38:18 am by Luzeke »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 10:11:43 am
I'm still not sold on the simultaneous step and swing.... I think the foot should at least land first.
Have you ever even touched a real sword? Swordsplay is not a step-by-step matter. If i couldn't step and swing simultaneously, my opponent would have time to cut my legs off. If you lift your sword then takes a step and then makes a swing you leave yourself wide open. Not to mention that the power of your attack comes from the movement of your whole body, not just the arms.

Don't talk to me like I'm an idiot. :mean: Try swinging a sword (any from your fantastic collection of real swords that you touch will do just fine) down to the ground from behind your head, like in the animation, and lunge forward BUT DON'T let your foot touch the ground until the tip of the sword does. Then tell me how natural it feels. Of course "the power of your attack comes from the movement of your whole body, not just the arms," so why would you balance on one foot until your attack lands? :-\ I'm not saying he should step.....wait....swing, for that would be STUPID, but rather, I'm suggesting the step take place DURING the swing rather then on the exact same interval of time.

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 10:57:15 am
I did not really mean to offend, sorry if it came out that way.

unge forward BUT DON'T let your foot touch the ground until the tip of the sword does....

...so why would you balance on one foot until your attack lands? Undecided I'm not saying he should step.....wait....swing, for that would be STUPID, but rather, I'm suggesting the step take place DURING the swing rather then on the exact same interval of time.

I see where you're getting at. However, when we make these kinds of swings during training we aim to begin and end the swordcut and movement of the feet at the same time. The closer, the better.
Simply because it's supposed to be one move, not two moves happening at the same time.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #37 on: April 09, 2008, 02:30:43 am

I tried adding a bit more to the stall to give it motion rather then just a copied frame.
Cape got some motion, but I planned to re-do it since it doesn't stay the same length in any of the frames.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: April 09, 2008, 03:16:27 am
When I pretend to swing a gigantic sword like that, I plant my backward leg firmly to the ground, and push the rest of my body forward; thus causing my frontal leg to jump farther forward. In your animation his body acts as though he is swinging it horizontally; planting his frontward leg firmly to the ground,
and turning the rest of his body in coordination with the sword (that is, if he was actually swinging it in a horizontal arc); causing his backward leg to swing forward.

When you swing something large and heavy in an arc over your head, you lunge forward; like you're trying to push something
(in this case you'd be pushing the sword away from you for, again, the most efficiency)
EDIOT : The momentum of the sword pulls you forward. :B :
In your swing the opposite happens. At the end he pulls back; this would lessen the power, and also make the sword look like a big balloon.
This being said, you got the first part of the swing (where he's pulling the sword towards him) right on the money.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 05:54:53 am by Kcilc »

Offline Luzeke

• View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #39 on: April 09, 2008, 08:14:41 am
I have a suggestion to when he lifts the sword. I was gonna show an edited animation but ImageReady weirded out on me, making the animation grey and black only.  :-\

Here's the frames I changed anyway.

Since the sword is supposed to be very heavy having him hold it perfectly horizontal breaks the illusion of weight.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 08:18:14 am by Luzeke »