AuthorTopic: Pixel school  (Read 63403 times)

Offline lief

• View Profile

Pixel school

on: August 04, 2005, 01:17:49 am

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel school

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 01:20:49 am
Ooh, can I be the class clown?

I don't wanna be the teacher's pet.

I'll sign up. I don't have any inspiration. I'd rather pixel what people tell me.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 01:27:32 am
mmmm'kay class.... drugs are bad mmmm'kay?

can you post your most recent work evan?  just need to see where you are at...

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 01:30:57 am

That wasn't a piece I took much time on, perse, it was just a quick 20 minute sketch for that activity thing.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 01:40:59 am
post something you took time on

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 01:47:19 am
Alrighty. Here's that second task.  ::)

( I will italic the keywords)

Ambient Lighting - A kind of lighiting that surrounds an object the whole object visible.

Primary Lighting - A direct kind of lighting that could point a specific point on an object but may not make the whole object visible. (Had a bit of trouble explaining this one, had to look it up)

Secondary Lighting - A kind of light that is used to define things like glass or different kind of materealized objects. (Had lots of trouble with this, didn't find anything useful so just guessed pretty much)

Color - Eh... Well... Hmmm... I'm stuck.

Luminosity - Brightness of a specific color. Goes from totally white to the different shades of the color to totally black.

Saturation - Amount of color. Usually used to define style or shading of objects.

Hue - Mix of color. (Kind of hard to explain for me) How much of a certain color is in another color. (Sounds cheesy but I tried my best)

Primary and secondary lighting are the once that I had the most problems with.

aka: Zoomrix

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 02:32:03 am
Ambient - Correct.  Remember light is like lots of little rays, so it doesn't literally surround it like a gas, it more correctly hits the object from no particular direction.  All light does have a source, so this light is more like second-hand light.  Remember that as it bounces around it will change color/wavelength depending on what it has reflected from.
Primary - Correct. Main light.  Could be sun.  Could be lightbulb right above you.
Secondary - Correct.  Just like a primary light, but not as strong and in a different location, usually used to create effects such as colored back lighting on objects.  This can create strong moods and atmosphere in your art
Color - ill move this under the other 3
Luminosity - Nearly.  Goes from black to the full strength of a specific color.  To go to white we will need...
Saturation - The intensity of a color (grey -> color).  White actually has no color in it, so it requires dropping saturation to achieve the spectrum from full intensity of a color to white.  high saturation colors will burn your eyeballs out, low saturation colors will give you depression.
Hue - The actual wavelength of a color... Red, Blue, Green  - these are descriptors of hues...  but as we have shown there is more to a color than a hue...
Color - A complete combination of Hue, Saturation and Luminosity

you were correct with both, except the glass example while usually having more highlights oftentimes this is the result of an effect called refraction.

all clear?  ready to proceed?

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 03:10:02 am
Think so. Let me just save a few of those terms in my brain harddrive... Processing. Loaded. Saved. Ok ready :)

aka: Zoomrix

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 03:28:45 am
good, do a CD backup as well.

Onto some more essentials...

Pixelled Curves and Lines

All lines have a gradient or a slope.  Some are better suited to pixelling than others.  These are :

From left to right: Straight, 3:1, 2:1, 1:1

Most curves can be fitted to these.  Stick to these and you will have shiny clean lineart.  A nice curve is constructed by stepping down through these ratios.

Draw me a small wiggle and apply these line gradient ratios to the wiggle.  If you don't understand this, just draw a small wiggle, post it (approx 20 x 40) and we'll work from there.

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 03:46:27 am
Uhh, a squiggle? Like, a line, or some lineFART.

Did you notice that I replaced ART with FART?

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE