AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 298225 times)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #170 on: October 11, 2007, 12:20:54 pm
I can see how something like an ellipse with the top two lines of a triangle drawn on top could be interpreted either as a cone looking from below or a transparent cone looking from above. If some mark moved along the ellipse it would be rotating clockwise (viewed above) or anticlockwise (viewed below). The preference might relate to how the brain works (I'm too stupid and lazy to read pschology books). However, this animation has cues such as the chest which means the girl cannot rotate in the anticlockwise direction. If you had an animation playing backwards I bet everyone would believe it rotated anti-clockwise. Having said that, in the beginning I thought it could go both ways. Maybe the ambiguty wears off after your brain sees those visual keys such as the way the breasts are rotating.

Another test would be if asked people if they just see a random ink blot or if they see a naked chick spinning, and tell those guys they are obsessed with sex.

I wonder if a better animation to use would be a pair of scissors rotating. That way there would be ambiguity like for the centre foot due to symettry. Also a girl with breasts on her back too might work.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 12:41:16 pm by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #171 on: October 11, 2007, 01:12:40 pm
hmmmm in default I see her clockwise, but when I read that'd make me more logical I automatically saw her counterclockwise :crazy: then she switched back into clockwise...until I read Dusty's shadow advice

where'd you get her from? did you reproduce the effect in poser, or did you download it off some psychology page?

my guess as to why it works I think is how she switchs up and down, probably shifting perspectives as well...

3D Artist: "I got everything modelled and rendered and it looks great!"
2D Artist: <thinks> "yeah reet"
3D Artist: "thing is, when I render them to that pink mask background your so fond of all I get is these weird purply pixels around the edge of the sprites? What should I do?" :0'

For the record...it HAS been done the proper way, in both Oddworld's "Abe's Oddysee" and "Abe's Exhoddus" they set up an alpha channel in the sprite so all the "purply" stuff was actually translucent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqewy-PbdHo

So it DOES boil down to them simply doing a slap-on job.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 01:45:15 pm by Conceit »

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #172 on: October 11, 2007, 06:51:41 pm
can anyone see her spinning anticlockwise?
I know how I should be able to do it, but I can't..
because how her head is leaning into a clockwise spin, her shoulder follows her hand etc, I just can't read it any other way
I see it both ways, but it takes me a while to switch.  I just focus on the foot and make that spin the way I want to spin, and the rest follows more easily.
BTW, her head leans into the spin no matter what.  It doesn't matter whether she's spinning clockwise or anticlockwise.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #173 on: October 11, 2007, 08:03:14 pm

does this go counter or clockwise for you? I made this to explain the phenomenon without human figure involved. I see both exclusively clockwise.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #174 on: October 11, 2007, 08:16:18 pm
That's even easier to flip.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #175 on: October 11, 2007, 08:20:49 pm
That's even easier to flip.

Agreed. The first one I saw clockwise until I was told to look at the shadow. Now I can only see it counter-clockwise. :mean:
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #176 on: October 11, 2007, 09:31:22 pm
I actually spent a good 10 minutes looking at her, trying to figure out how to make her go counter-clockwise... I knew there had to be some sort of trick, to look at something the right way. I looked at her legs spinning for a while, and concluded it had something to do with her body moving up and down while her leg is spinning, then looked at the shadow. Maybe that's the logic in it.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #177 on: October 11, 2007, 09:37:11 pm
woman is counter only for me, can't flip her, but the line is super easy to flip for me

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #178 on: October 11, 2007, 10:20:52 pm
saw the girl counter clockwise at first, not too difficult to flip though.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #179 on: October 11, 2007, 10:27:10 pm
saw the girl counter clockwise at first, not too difficult to flip though.
Same here. But Helm's goes clockwise, so how about that. :B