AuthorTopic: Demons [nudity and gore]  (Read 24897 times)

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Demons [nudity and gore]

on: July 12, 2007, 09:23:03 pm
I seem to be drawing a lot of demons and monsters, so I might as well dedicate a thread to them.

An avatar I drew a few months back. Meant for a brighter background.

I don't know what to do with these. The first had a lot of anatomical flaws and might still need a bit of work. I don't find it very interesting apart from the head and the "wings". The second one also needs a lot of work, and the colors are dreadful. Any suggestions?

Edit: The final(?) versions
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 11:06:35 pm by Arachne »

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Demons [nudity]

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 02:47:16 pm
I can't believe no one has replied to this thread yet. The dithering and colouring are both amazing, I love the ambient green highlights on the third image. Generally that second image is anatomically fine, unless you're a nitpicker, I don't think many people would notice any anatomical flaws at all. I think you should continue with it, if you feel there are anatomy issues, fix those, but please continue with it, it looks great.

The third image would make an excellent avatar or character portrait.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:50:00 pm
Put some colour into the greys of that skull with the green backlight.
I can see why you find the mutant/plagued/whatever girl boring, and I think you should make the middle less normal.
Maybe her ribs can be sticking out through her skin? It really needs some gore to give it interest. I'd also like to see some really exaggerated veins to add to the disgusting factor.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 07:08:33 pm
Quote from: Faceless
Maybe her ribs can be sticking out through her skin? It really needs some gore to give it interest. I'd also like to see some really exaggerated veins to add to the disgusting factor.
Good idea! :D I'll get right on it.

Quote from: Joel
Generally that second image is anatomically fine, unless you're a nitpicker, I don't think many people would notice any anatomical flaws at all.
I suppose that's true. Especially if I add more gory details. :D After that, you're free to nitpick if there's anything I've missed.

Edit: Messing around with the palette some more.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 12:20:40 am by Arachne »

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 12:58:07 am
I like that palette a lot more.  It looks smoother, too.  Did you eliminate some dithering?  I like it, whatever you did.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 03:54:05 am
Yeah, upping the color count made it look less gritty.

Here we go. Gory enough? :D I'll add some more texture to the skin once I have all the wounds and the blood figured out.

Increased the contrast a little bit and tried to fix a few things about the shape of the skull and placement of the eyes that bothered me. Still needs work, I think.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Re: [WIP] Demons [nudity and gore]

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 07:05:26 am
You've got some crazy mad dittering skills. I think the 2ndary light source does a lot for the demon skull.

I guess it's just a matter of how you work but I like the effect you got now having part of the skull in high detail and other parts out of focus.

I would try and keep some of that and not make the entire skull in focus.

Offline ceddo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 03:09:30 pm
First of all, these are all brilliant. I love the second and third images, particularly the third because of the green ambient lighting you added. :y:

However, I don't like the gritty-looking texture you have going on the top of the skull, in your latest update. I'd suggest trying a smoother method, similar to what you did here, but less WIP-ish. You can add texture by drawing little circles and dots here and there..

Not that I would do it any better than you already have. These are just suggestions, do as you wish!

.c

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 07:18:50 pm
I completely disagree on removing the texture on the skull. I'd like however that the face colours and texture matched the forehead

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 10:36:01 pm
Here we go. Gory enough? :D I'll add some more texture to the skin once I have all the wounds and the blood figured out.

I think it looks much better, but it still isn't quite there... it's still too clean. I like the design, but I want to be disgusted by it. Really emphasise the idea that this thing is an affront to nature. Corrupt things that are usually seen as pure. Have a sickly green puss dripping from her breasts where there should be milk. Give her a network of discoloured veins throbbing with a vile liquid.