AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 208294 times)

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #500 on: March 05, 2007, 09:32:19 pm
Hahaha. Well, I was stuck this weekend trying to explain pixelart to my grandmother who's mid-eighty. I think she grasped it pretty well for someone who has never touched a computer, doesn't understand what you really do with the internet, doesn't have a cellphone and can't speak English. I also compared it a little to cross-sticthing and showed her a game on my Nintendo DS. I think I came across. Maybe. At least I taught her the phrace "pixelart" :D

I don't necessarily try to explain it very detailed to all of my friends. Unless they ask me to do it of course. Many of them are more interested in music than art anyways. My parents and my brother are really understanding though. My mother also has a tendency to stand behind me staring at the screen while I am pixelling. I think she's the one I know who is the most interested in my pixelart, lol.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #501 on: March 05, 2007, 10:02:45 pm
Explaining pixel art, I'll never do that again, my friends are all like 'It goes ten times easier with photoshop why do you want to place blocks on a zoomed in screen?!'(referring to the blur tool and gradients ect.)
And my mom is always telling everyone I'm gonna work at nintendo. I'm like 'wait, I never said that, it's just a hobby'
And my mother also often stands behind me while im pixelling, it's pretty irritating but I think its cool she finds it at least interresting
Lol, explaining it to your grandmother, no way :P

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #502 on: March 05, 2007, 10:08:13 pm
I also compared it a little to cross-sticthing

hahaha niiiice that has got to be the ultimate metaphor for moms and grandmas everywhere, i'm gonna remember that one.  I usually just tell people its like impressionism; the technical side is too boring or complex for most folks to bother I think.

Offline Ryan Cordel

• Hi! I'm Daisy!
    • View Profile

Reply #503 on: March 06, 2007, 04:39:50 pm
Explaining pixel art, I'll never do that again, my friends are all like 'It goes ten times easier with photoshop why do you want to place blocks on a zoomed in screen?!'(referring to the blur tool and gradients ect.)

If I heard anyone that I know SAY that, I'd either kick their ass, or show them off to some of Tsugomo/Snake's works. That'll shut them up atleast. That's just insulting.

Offline Jamie

• ^ needs updated ^
    • View Profile

Reply #504 on: March 06, 2007, 06:38:29 pm
I bought a new laptop last month which came which Japanese Vista, and there was no way to switch to an English inteface aside from buying a new Vista, so I gave it up and made a full switch to Linux on my laptop, and it's been an amazing experience so far, It's so much better than XP and Vista.
It's taken many hours to figure out how to fix some problems though. (blurry kanji, wireless card etc - though some problems were fixed in recent updates) and I still don't have access to my Laptop's brightness controls.

I still need to use Photoshop on my desktop PC for work/pixel/art. Hopefully I can try out WINE or ween myself off Photoshop in favour of The Gimp, but it's interface is a bit awkward and takes up too much screen space.

BLICK: Yeah I had that problem for 3 or so years, I just say I do art for mobile games, everyone gets the picture, especially so here in Japan, but back in Australia there was really no market for mobile games, so people were like 'huh?' Once, I actually printed out pixel art on glossy paper and in class explained a bit about it, and what my job was.

You could allways do a dual boot and have XP and Ubuntu on the hd, so you choose which one when starting up

i tryied out ubuntu after seeing your post, here i am now with a fully installed ubuntu  ;D

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #505 on: March 06, 2007, 11:28:20 pm
Panda: I wish I had known that earlier, but I'm glad it turned out this way anyway.

You could allways do a dual boot and have XP and Ubuntu on the hd, so you choose which one when starting up
i tryied out ubuntu after seeing your post, here i am now with a fully installed ubuntu  ;D

I did it for a few weeks, but I wasn't using Vista at all so just removed it all together. Nice to hear you tried out Ubuntu!

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #506 on: March 07, 2007, 01:08:11 am
So, I'm tempted to post on Punaji, but looking at the site, it doesn't actually look like you guys (the regulars) do anything there besides chat and procrastinate.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #507 on: March 07, 2007, 01:13:48 am
I was suspended from school today.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #508 on: March 07, 2007, 01:38:00 am
I remember I had in school suspension once. It was probably the best couple of days in middle school for me. I got caught up in all my work, read a decent book and even met some interesting people. We weren't supposed to talk, but we did anyway because the lady running ISS didn't really care.

The lame part was that I had to attend one session of some anger management crap the school had. The reason I was in ISS and this anger management thing was because some kid pushed me intentionally and I called him an asshole for it and a teacher overheard. It was pretty ridiculous, I still think.

Especially since two years later I tackled a kid against the lockers and when a teacher walked around the corner and saw the two of us laying on the ground after hearing something slam against the locker, he just turned around and went back to walking the other way.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #509 on: March 07, 2007, 01:45:17 am
I was suspended for having malicious files and programs on a computer account i haven't used in over 4 months. it's kinda ridiculous. tomorrow i will make the best of it and spend the whole day painting, instead of taking a chemistry exam i wasn't prepared for anyway.