AuthorTopic: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread  (Read 208247 times)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: Official Pixelation Off-Topic Thread

Reply #480 on: March 03, 2007, 05:27:54 am
I found a shitty walkcycle in my ms paint today

probably coming to a thread near you.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #481 on: March 03, 2007, 07:38:27 am
Someone asked me to paint something for them for their birthday which will be in May. And I don't think I can.

Because I really suck at any traditional medium.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #482 on: March 03, 2007, 11:56:59 am
I'd feel really unconfortable if someone asked me that too. I mean, especially if it didn't strike me myself to paint something for someone specific, i.e. there is no impulse, I'd have a hard time even wanting to do a good job.

On another note, I think I'm a robot person. I find these awesome.

http://www.mypartypost.com/watchflashbig/3308/Neill_Blomkamp-_Short-_Yellow
http://www.mypartypost.com/watchflashbig/3310/Neill_Blomkamp-_Short-_Tetra_Vaal

a bit silly: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xkof-BxoLM0&mode=related&search=
sillier, and less roboty: http://youtube.com/watch?v=iNReejO7Zu8

silliest coolest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwZD59Ic9T8
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 12:24:46 pm by miascugh »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #483 on: March 03, 2007, 06:10:53 pm
Those videos are awesome. :)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #484 on: March 03, 2007, 06:18:07 pm
ever wonder why mario sets out to rescue peach with such haste?
http://luemages.net/a/u/10002/mario.jpg
I don't think I can ever look at Mario the same way now :(.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #485 on: March 04, 2007, 08:11:42 am
Who else has trouble explaining to family and friends that they're a pixel artist?

Offline Gunne

• hello..
    • View Profile

Reply #486 on: March 04, 2007, 08:17:22 am
haha, I reckon. When people on work ask me what I do behind my computer I am like, uuuh. Yea, how to explain that ...
in the shadows, lurking.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #487 on: March 04, 2007, 08:29:52 am
I bought a new laptop last month which came which Japanese Vista, and there was no way to switch to an English inteface aside from buying a new Vista, so I gave it up and made a full switch to Linux on my laptop, and it's been an amazing experience so far, It's so much better than XP and Vista.
It's taken many hours to figure out how to fix some problems though. (blurry kanji, wireless card etc - though some problems were fixed in recent updates) and I still don't have access to my Laptop's brightness controls.

I still need to use Photoshop on my desktop PC for work/pixel/art. Hopefully I can try out WINE or ween myself off Photoshop in favour of The Gimp, but it's interface is a bit awkward and takes up too much screen space.

BLICK: Yeah I had that problem for 3 or so years, I just say I do art for mobile games, everyone gets the picture, especially so here in Japan, but back in Australia there was really no market for mobile games, so people were like 'huh?' Once, I actually printed out pixel art on glossy paper and in class explained a bit about it, and what my job was.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 08:31:37 am by Frychiko »
Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #488 on: March 04, 2007, 08:44:52 am
I personally only tell my good friends about my pixel art and even after a lot of time explaining it to them they still look at me awkwardly. I hate that look.

What I really hate is that my mom talks about it to anyone that walks in the door. Which wouldn't be so bad, if our door wasn't a door to a business where people that don't care about our life stories get told every detail anyway. It's worse that she doesn't know what she's talking about.

"He makes Nintendo art."
"Pixel art."
"Uh, yes. He makes pixel art on the internet and I tell him he should work on games for Nintendo and Playstation..."

That's about the time that I don't know where to start correcting her and just act like I'm hungry so I can escape to the kitchen.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #489 on: March 04, 2007, 09:13:29 am
Ahem:

other person: " What are you doing?"

me: "Pixeling"

other person: " Pixeling?"

me: " Yeah...Well, I'm just drawing with the computer, that's all. No biggie."

other person: " You're doing all that on M.S. Paint?"

me: " Yeah. I mean, it's not all that hard, once you get used to it...really, it isn't hard. You just select a color and begin clicking away, pixel by pixel."

other person: " You must be patient. I'd have no patience to do that stuff. So do you like, have to click for every pixel you draw...like each and every individual one?"

me: " My bad. Uhm, it's like this: It doesn't have to be just this 1x1 pixel to draw. I can use any of these tools I want. The only point to pixel art is that I must have complete control over where these little colors and dots belong. Sure, I can enlarge them and sort of smudge them on. But it must be intended, and placed with purpose."

other person: " Oh. Well I know a guy who's pretty good with Photoshop. He could probably do that in like, 5 minutes with his program...Why don't you just use Photoshop instead?"

me: " Oh, I actually have Photoshop. I just don't like pixeling with it. Now digital art, I would rather do with Photoshop. And I doubt he could pixel THIS within 5 minutes. Even with Photoshop..."

other person: " Yeah, but you can get much more detail with it. I mean, that looks ok, but it's all 2d and stuff. Why don't you draw some bad ass 3d stuff, ya' know? Plus that program doesn't have the smudge tool, and kick ass graphics and stuff."

me: " True. But I don't really want the smudge tool. That adds unneeded colors to my palette. A great learning tool of pixeling is learning to draw with restrictions, to help you focus more on technique, rather than hide it with style. I know my stuff doesn't look that great, but I'm still learning. I'm also trying to learn digital art, but at the moment, pixel art seems much more fun to me."

other person: " Yeah, I guess. I still like the other 3d stuff a hell of a lot more, though. Here let me show you some bad ass art.( proceeds to show me some other art site that I've already seen before...and it's not that great, in my OH SO HUMBLE OPINION.)"

Roaming douche bag: " what are doing, dog."

other person: " I'm trying to show this guy that he should try to draw like this guy( Sure. A phrase that all artists LOVE to hear: "try to draw like this guy/girl"...) This is what he does. What's it called again? Pixeling?"

Roaming douche bag: "Pshh. Whats the big deal? Doesn't look that great to me. Looks all flat and shit. Hey dog, you still down to hit the club tonight, homie?( At this point, I'm willing to promote this man from douche bag, to ass-wad. Would seem much more fair)"

other person: " Hell yeah, dog, I'm down!"

me: ( I silently lean back in my chair, and sigh a breath of frustation.)

***exit douche bag***

other person: " See man, check this out.(shows me a half naked girl, with giant monster behind her. Than he shows me a half naked girl. Than he shows me some animeish art...rinse, repeat, cycle)

me: " Yeah, he's pretty good."

other person: " Bad ass is more like it. Yo, dog, you like rap?"

me: " It's ok. But I kind of like metal a lot more."

other person: " Say what? Metal? Man, fuck that devil worshipping shit! You need to listen to that hot shit that's out now..."

I'm not even going to bother with the rest of the conversation. All I know is that it seems the rest of the population believes that my taste in art and music are below the general standard. But that's how it generally goes...

my back hurts...